NYU Dramatic Writing 2020

May I ask what date they scheduled you for?
I wonder what their interview and decision timeline looks like. It never seems too consistent from past data.

3rd of March. Yeah, their process is definitely a bit harder to get a sense of than with other schools. I didn't get an automated message though, someone emailed me asking to set up a time, i.e. they seem to be doing this manually, and thus probably working off a list.

I hope my message didn't induce anxiety for anyone still waiting (its certainly happened to me in the past). I am sure more emails will come out in the following days!

Hey, so i just had my interview with Professor Dhawan. I had some issues connecting through Facetime at first and we had to push it back an hour as she had another interview (sent me into a spiral of overthinking lol). But when we finally got to talk, she was super nice! A really casual conversation, we just talked about what I was doing currently, what I was working on, where i grew up, general questions, etc. And then I asked her some questions of mine.

I did ask when she thought decisions might come out, and she said 4-5 WEEKS or early april :oops: ... That feels like such along time to me, haha. But overall, it was a really nice chat!

Hey, so i just had my interview with Professor Dhawan. I had some issues connecting through Facetime at first and we had to push it back an hour as she had another interview (sent me into a spiral of overthinking lol). But when we finally got to talk, she was super nice! A really casual conversation, we just talked about what I was doing currently, what I was working on, where i grew up, general questions, etc. And then I asked her some questions of mine.

I did ask when she thought decisions might come out, and she said 4-5 WEEKS or early april :oops: ... That feels like such along time to me, haha. But overall, it was a really nice chat!

Good to hear it went well! Did she ask you any questions at all with regards to what you submitted? How long did you guys talk?

Will provide an update after my interview next week!

Did you submit a feature? Congrats!!

Good to hear it went well! Did she ask you any questions at all with regards to what you submitted? How long did you guys talk?

Will provide an update after my interview next week!

I didn't ask directly if she read my sample but i kind of tied it into a story from my childhood (forgot to mention that she asked about a story from my childhood) , to which she said that she actually didn't read through it but instead "had read reviews from those who have"? So I'm guessing they just passed on notes to her, but she was familiar with the general premise.

And we talked for around 20 minutes.

Hope yours goes well!

I'm not sure about more coming out, but I do know from an email that they plan to have them all done by March 4th.

Wow that's a short window! Considering we heard this week. How many can they interview in that time span? Although they seem to be dividing applicants up between them, and doing it all by phone calls..

I didn't ask directly if she read my sample but i kind of tied it into a story from my childhood (forgot to mention that she asked about a story from my childhood) , to which she said that she actually didn't read through it but instead "had read reviews from those who have"? So I'm guessing they just passed on notes to her, but she was familiar with the general premise.

And we talked for around 20 minutes.

Hope yours goes well!

Right, I heard they use readers for the applications who then pass on their recommendations. Makes sense I guess, considering page count. Thanks, looking forward to it! :)

Last edited:
I'm not sure about more coming out, but I do know from an email that they plan to have them all done by March 4th.
All of the requests sent out by March 4th or all of the interviews completed by March 4th? That seems crazy that it's that short of a window given that the data shows interview requests historically being sent out until March 3rd. May I ask what was the phrasing of the email? Maybe they changed it this year and sent interview requests all at once?

Screen Shot 2020-02-28 at 12.30.23 PM.png

Here's the short sentence that was in my initial email.

It seems super short to me, too. Also considering that they contacted me on Wednesday and only gave me the option of interviewing either Thursday (yesterday) or Friday (today), which seemed weird as I know Memz has an interview next week... It's definitely confusing, haha.

View attachment 1623
Here's the short sentence that was in my initial email.

It seems super short to me, too. Also considering that they contacted me on Wednesday and only gave me the option of interviewing either Thursday (yesterday) or Friday (today), which seemed weird as I know Memz has an interview next week... It's definitely confusing, haha.

Going through past applications though, it does seem like all interviews are conducted within like 5-6 business days. In terms of the spots being offered, I guess its all tailored to the schedule of the person interviewing you. I am interviewing with someone else (Terry Curtis Fox) so assuming he had no available times this week?

Ah, to be a fly on the wall in one of these admission offices. Their processes have become the stuff of legend.

Interview requests are INDEED rolling. I just got the request this morning!

My interview will be on the 3rd of March, so perhaps they are trying to finish interviews by March 4th. So if anyone has anymore interview questions or tips they'd like to post, I would greatly appreciate it! Otherwise, I'm going to stalk the past threads for interview questions. I also submitted a feature if anyone needed that info.

Last year, admissions said the same thing about decisions taking a LONG while to come out, but they sent acceptances mid-March. And looking at all acceptance notification dates, they historically come out in mid-March. Waitlists come later. Denials come even later. So maybe they mean that they'll finish in a month?

after much lurking I finally made an account - hello all! I just got an interview request as well, though i thought it a little odd that it came with a specific date and time instead of options? in any case... excited to be one step closer to finding out what's going on. the waiting is killing me!
They didn’t give you options? So interesting. I keep checking my email hoping I get one. I submitted a drama pilot so wishful thinking they haven’t schedule those yet? Who knows!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back