NYU Dramatic Writing MFA Fall 2018 (Acceptance, Rejection, Etc.)

Hi everyone,

I don't meant to interrupt the main focus of this conversation so far (waiting for acceptance, etc.), but I had a question that really has to do more with applying for next year (as I didn't apply this year). NYU Dramatic Writing seems to be one of the few programs that actually requires the submission of a fully formed written project (full-length feature script, TV pilot or play) to satisfy its creative portfolio requirement. As this is actually a pretty big endeavor, can I ask when most people started working on this (and I know answers will vary from person to person), i.e., how far in advance of the November (or December) application deadline? And do most people use an existing work they might have already started working on (or even finished) independently (i.e., before even deciding to apply for the MFA), or did any of you literally start your project from scratch and essentially write an entire movie, TV show, or play purely for purposes of having something to use for the portfolio submission?

again, thanks for taking the time to read this... I know most people here are justifiably nervous waiting on their decisions... wish you all the best!
I did mine starting in early August, but I think the sooner the better for rewrites. Break a leg!!!

I think he said on the phone that he was calling all the accepted people today (as in March 19th) and that acceptance emails would go out as a whole on March 20th. I could be mistaken though
I think he said on the phone that he was calling all the accepted people today (as in March 19th) and that acceptance emails would go out as a whole on March 20th. I could be mistaken though
What was the area code he called from? Was it 212? I have a few missed calls and am wondering if one may be from him. Stupid policy of not answering numbers I don’t know! Thanks :)

Hey everyone. I was wondering if any one had any idea of what the actual cost to attend was? I was waitlisted and I am not sure if I can afford not getting any financial help. Thank you and congrats to those who got in and those who had the courage to apply.

Hey everyone. I was wondering if any one had any idea of what the actual cost to attend was? I was waitlisted and I am not sure if I can afford not getting any financial help. Thank you and congrats to those who got in and those who had the courage to apply.
It’s quoted at about 30k a year (before living expenses roughly 50 with. Look at the website Tisch School of the Arts Graduate 2017-2018
and also consider if you have any of the extra fees listed here Tuition & Fees (if you’re a production student for example) and the student health insurance if that applies to you.

Best of luck with all of it!

Thanks! It worked out and I found out yesterday I got in! I can’t wait!!! Best of luck with your apps!

WOW!!! Awesome! Glad to hear you got some good news from the 212 :)

I actually happen to live right near NYU so always feel free to PM me if you would like tips on housing, the neighborhood, etc.

I got wait listed! In retrospect, the first thing my interviewer said to me was that she thought I was too young and would be better of trying my hand at actually writing and submitting to competitions/playhouses before going in for an MFA. Anyone else get wait listed? Or get off the wait list?

What was the area code he called from? Was it 212? I have a few missed calls and am wondering if one may be from him. Stupid policy of not answering numbers I don’t know! Thanks :)

Sorry I didn't reply to this sooner, but congrats on getting in!

It’s quoted at about 30k a year (before living expenses roughly 50 with. Look at the website Tisch School of the Arts Graduate 2017-2018
and also consider if you have any of the extra fees listed here Tuition & Fees (if you’re a production student for example) and the student health insurance if that applies to you.

Hold on, I thought it was 30 k per SEMESTER. Is it 30 k a year??? Not that that's cheap, but I thought it was literally twice as expensive if that was the case and would RADICALLY change my financial situation.

ALSOALSO: Are any of y'all going to the accepted student event in April? Trying to figure out if it's worth the trip out there, would be cool to meet fellow peeps!

alsoalsoalso: I am so curious to know what kind of projects people wrote for this. Anyone brave enough to share a logline or brief description? Totally understand if this is not the venue for that

Has anybody got their acceptance letters yet? I need to quit my job and serve a three month notice period! Thinking of writing to ask by when we should expect it...

Hold on, I thought it was 30 k per SEMESTER. Is it 30 k a year??? Not that that's cheap, but I thought it was literally twice as expensive if that was the case and would RADICALLY change my financial situation.

ALSOALSO: Are any of y'all going to the accepted student event in April? Trying to figure out if it's worth the trip out there, would be cool to meet fellow peeps!

There's no chance I can come for the event since I'm in India right now. Looking forward to meeting you all in September :)

Crap- I’m sorry apparently I can’t read. All the other schools I was applying to list it as per year, but yes. Relooking at this it’s per term, which makes much more sense as I remember thinking it was closer to 50k so yeah I guess 60k. I’m sorry I mislead you. Look it up with the links. Sorry! :)

Thanks! I’ll drop them an email anyway, and call tomorrow. Who did you receive it from? I can write to the same person then
Peter Gerena-
Also, If you have ever applied to NYU with a different email check the old email. I had applied as an undergrad with an old hotmail account and the acceptance went to the junk mail of the old hotmail rather than to the gmail address I had applied to it was stressful.

And if you can find your student ID on your application you can get you NYU NetID and just check your status on that website. It might be easier than getting through to a person.

Good luck! I hope you’re in!!!

Peter Gerena-
Also, If you have ever applied to NYU with a different email check the old email. I had applied as an undergrad with an old hotmail account and the acceptance went to the junk mail of the old hotmail rather than to the gmail address I had applied to it was stressful.

And if you can find your student ID on your application you can get you NYU NetID and just check your status on that website. It might be easier than getting through to a person.

Good luck! I hope you’re in!!!

I wrote to Dan Sandford, and he just wrote back to say that I'm definitely in, but since some documents were missing, the official letter will be sent tomorrow. Such a relief!

Thanks a lot though! :)

No worries Cdemon, I was just surprised to hear of NYu being so cheap haha.

Again, I don't mean cheap as in inexpensive, but cheap as in half the cost I assumed

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back