• IT'S HAPPENING! Celebrate interview season by becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $15! (25% off) by entering the coupon code "ITSHAPPENING" . Thanks for being a member of the site!

NYU Dramatic Writing MFA - Fall 2021

Hi! For those submitting plays, what format did you use? I'm from the UK and am wondering if I should use one of the US formats...

I used the 'Stage Play: US' format in Scrivener. But I actually think the 'Stage Play: UK' format is cleaner and easier to read.

US looks something like this:

LINDA
Willy? Willy is that you?

WILLY
It's alright, I came back.
UK looks something like this:

LINDA. Willy? Willy is that you?

WILLY. It's alright. I came back.

This is the way Scrivener distinguishes the two. I don't use Final Draft, so I can't speak to that. But I'm sure either is totally fine!

Leave it to us yanks to be so boorish that we lack sophistication even in our formatting. 😁

catmom

Hi! For those submitting plays, what format did you use? I'm from the UK and am wondering if I should use one of the US formats...
Hey! I studied playwriting undergrad and we used the final draft playwriting template. Before I purchased final draft, I looked up a similar template and put it in word. It was tedious and therefore slower, but worked for me while I was trying to save money. If a US school asks for it to be in a standard format then I’d go for the US standard!

mzbung

I used the FinalDraft play template. I didn't see any specification on format on the website, so I just left it as is.
I used the 'Stage Play: US' format in Scrivener. But I actually think the 'Stage Play: UK' format is cleaner and easier to read.

LINDA

WILLY

This is the way Scrivener distinguishes the two. I don't use Final Draft, so I can't speak to that. But I'm sure either is totally fine!

Leave it to us yanks to be so boorish that we lack sophistication even in our formatting. 😁

Hey! I studied playwriting undergrad and we used the final draft playwriting template. Before I purchased final draft, I looked up a similar template and put it in word. It was tedious and therefore slower, but worked for me while I was trying to save money. If a US school asks for it to be in a standard format then I’d go for the US standard!

Thanks for the answers! I was used to reading plays in UK format and was then very weirded out when I bought Final Draft and saw the standard US format, haha. But I guess it doesn't matter too much...

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member

LINDA

WILLY

Oh wow. I had no idea it was different. :)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Deadline is December 1st!

How many of you have turned it in? When do you plan on turning it in if you haven't?

I highly recommend not waiting to the last moment btw as one year technical difficulties caused someone to miss the deadline. 😬

marianass45

Supporter+
Deadline is December 1st!

How many of you have turned it in? When do you plan on turning it in if you haven't?

I highly recommend not waiting to the last moment btw as one year technical difficulties caused someone to miss the deadline. 😬
All done with my NYU app. Onto Austin, then Chapman, and then AFI. Okay, enough procrastination. Back to writing haha
Nice!! I finished NYU today as well! I'm just revising the whole thing before actually clicking "send".
Still have Chapman and AFI that I'll be working on the weekend!

katiebonnie

Supporter
Hi everyone! I'm sadly part of the last-minute crew and will no doubt be submitting a few hours before the deadline, honestly I hate myself.

I was wondering how strict the guidelines on number of pages are? I was told in the info session I could submit two episodes (pilot and episode 2) from a TV show I wrote but when I emailed just to double check, she said:
'This is acceptable and it's up to you, but doing so isn't necessarily an advantage and to be evaluated evenly with other portfolios, you may want to stick with one or two original pilots per the instructions.'

So...to me that implies I should not do that haha! I'm left with either writing a brand new pilot in 24 hours or only submitting 30 pages. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

Also, would anyone be willing to let me read their personal statement? I'm from the UK and just feel totally out of my depth. Mine is more of a creative essay and I'm just concerned that's not what they're asking for?

Good luck to everyone applying and thanks in advance!

Hi everyone! I'm sadly part of the last-minute crew and will no doubt be submitting a few hours before the deadline, honestly I hate myself.

I was wondering how strict the guidelines on number of pages are? I was told in the info session I could submit two episodes (pilot and episode 2) from a TV show I wrote but when I emailed just to double check, she said:
'This is acceptable and it's up to you, but doing so isn't necessarily an advantage and to be evaluated evenly with other portfolios, you may want to stick with one or two original pilots per the instructions.'

So...to me that implies I should not do that haha! I'm left with either writing a brand new pilot in 24 hours or only submitting 30 pages. Does anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

Also, would anyone be willing to let me read their personal statement? I'm from the UK and just feel totally out of my depth. Mine is more of a creative essay and I'm just concerned that's not what they're asking for?

Hi Katie. Just messaged you. Personally, I would highly encourage you not to write a brand new pilot in 24 hours. You don't want to submit something that might be mediocre, which could affect your chances of getting in. A 1/2 hour (30-page) pilot is what I submitted.

Btw, I feel free to send me your personal statement.

Good luck : )

The website does say that they want one or two pilots up to 60 pages. What I took from that is two 30 page pilots if it’s a half an hour show, or a single pilot if it’s an hour long episode. It just has to be up to 60 pages and not beyond that. Mine’s at 59 right now (it was 69 earlier) but I’ll submit it once I go through it again. Writing a brand new one might be a daunting task, and I personally wouldn’t do that, but it’s totally up to you.

The website does say that they want one or two pilots up to 60 pages. What I took from that is two 30 page pilots if it’s a half an hour show, or a single pilot if it’s an hour long episode. It just has to be up to 60 pages and not beyond that. Mine’s at 59 right now (it was 69 earlier) but I’ll submit it once I go through it again. Writing a brand new one might be a daunting task, and I personally wouldn’t do that, but it’s totally up to you.
Ohhhh...I might need to contact NYU since I submitted my app already and only included an original 1/2 hour (30 page) script. I have a second sample, but must've misread the instructions. Damn it! Actually, I'll shoot them an email right now.

Ohhhh...I might need to contact NYU since I submitted my app already and only included an original 1/2 hour (30 page) script. I have a second sample, but must've misread the instructions. Damn it! Actually, I'll shoot them an email right now.
What is the email for queries? I think it’s alright even if it’s one 30 page pilot. Two pilots are optional. It’s more about the quality, I suppose, rather than the number of pages. But do ask them this!

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews