NYU Dramatic Writing MFA - Fall 2021

Here's the email according to the NYU portal. I'll provide an update once I hear back from them.

Attn: Tisch Graduate Admissions
tisch.gradadmissions@nyu.edu
You're all good Abbey! I got this email from them this afternoon :)

'Hi Katie,

Yes, one 30-minute pilot is absolutely fine, and you can submit the professional portfolio as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!'

Thanks guys!

Please let me know what they say! I already submitted my application with just a 36 page comedy pilot since it’s what I was most proud of.

You're all good Abbey! I got this email from them this afternoon :)

'Hi Katie,

Yes, one 30-minute pilot is absolutely fine, and you can submit the professional portfolio as well.

Let me know if you have any other questions!'

Thanks guys!
Thanks Katie!!! For a second there I was going to have a panic attack. Good to know. I feel confident about my submission since it's my strongest 30 page sample.

Cheers : )

Does anyone know exactly when on December 1st the applications are due? I assume it's at 11:59 Eastern Time, but I wanted to be sure.

Is it alright to add a few pages of logline and small character briefs before the start of the screenplay? My pilot’s got tons of characters, and even a few non-English words so before the plot starts, I’ve added a paragraph of synopsis and logline, and a few lines of the central and important secondary characters. Also, a glossary of non-English words taking the total length to 65 pages. Though the screenplay is 60 pages.

Is it alright to add a few pages of logline and small character briefs before the start of the screenplay? My pilot’s got tons of characters, and even a few non-English words so before the plot starts, I’ve added a paragraph of synopsis and logline, and a few lines of the central and important secondary characters. Also, a glossary of non-English words taking the total length to 65 pages. Though the screenplay is 60 pages.
Would be curious to see what everyone else thinks. Is this the first 60 pages of a feature or pilot? And if it is the first 60 pages, you probably don't need a page for the logline, nor do you need a page for the characters. That might be a bit overwhelming to whoever is reading it. Plus, character bios/character synopsis are more for treatments, and or a bible.

Perhaps if you're submitting a spec script of an existing show, then a logline would be okay.

Would be curious to see what everyone else thinks. Is this the first 60 pages of a feature or pilot? And if it is the first 60 pages, you probably don't need a page for the logline, nor do you need a page for the characters. That might be a bit overwhelming to whoever is reading it. Plus, character bios/character synopsis are more for treatments, and or a bible.

Perhaps if you're submitting a spec script of an existing show, then a logline would be okay.
It’s one whole pilot episode in 60 pages. It’s not a spec of an existing show as that would be against the rules. It has to be an original screenplay.

I only added it because the entire thing is set in a South Asian country with references to ancient epics and local culture and politics. Assuming not everyone’s familiar with it, I decided to have it in there for simplification purposes. Not sure if it was the right thing to do.

FYI re NYU:

Just got this email from them that says they're extending the deadline to tomorrow noon EST! :D

"As a result, we will be extending the deadline for all programs that had a December 1st deadline, including Film and Television, until tomorrow, December 2nd at noon (EST). "

Hello all! I know apps are in but I still wanted to log on and say hello.

I'm also very curious. For those who submitted a play, how many pages was it? Thanks so much! I hope everyone can relax and enjoy the holidays now that apps are in.

Has anyone else written to them with a query but haven’t heard back? I wrote to them on the 30th last month, but no reply yet.
I reached out to the Grad Admissions via email about the writing sample, but someone on this thread already answered it. I'm going to assume they're swamped with emails. You can try to call them. I know when I called the number listed on NYU's site, both the Program Admin and Admin Aide got back to me right away.

Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone knew the next steps in the timeline for admissions? Is it still interviews first week of March/decision by the end of March?

Hey guys! Just wanted to say hi and see if anyone knew the next steps in the timeline for admissions? Is it still interviews first week of March/decision by the end of March?
According to someone I know who got accepted last year and is at Tisch right now, emails will start coming in by the last week of March/first week of April.

This article has the earliest dates listed from our application database:

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (2020 stats)

Film School MFA Acceptance Rates, Minimum GPAs, Decision Dates, and more... (2020 stats)

People often ask "What is the minimum GPA for USC film school?" Or "What is the acceptance rate of NYU film school?" The problem is that Film Schools are often very tight lipped and secret about their acceptance rates and the minimum GPAs that they accept. However thanks to the over 3,200...

Currently for NYU it is:

NYU - Graduate Film
  • FilmSchool.org NYU Acceptance Rate: 19% (43 out of 222 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.2
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: February 8
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 22
  • Earliest Decision Date: February 24
NYU - Dramatic Writing
  • FilmSchool.org NYU Acceptance Rate: 35% (29 out of 82 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.1
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: February 22
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 23
  • Earliest Decision Date: March 4
NYU - Producing Program (Dual MBA/MFA)
  • FilmSchool.org NYU Acceptance Rate: 33% (5 out of 15 applications)
  • Lowest Reported Minimum GPA: 3.7
  • Earliest Interview Notification Date: January 30
  • Earliest Interview Date: February 17
  • Earliest Decision Date: March 18

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back