NYU Dramatic Writing MFA - Fall 2021

Just finished my interview, and same as others have mentioned it was more an opportunity to ask questions. He did mention that they are about 2 weeks out from having to make any hard decisions, but he is not part of that decision making team.

I decided to ask questions related to my anxieties. I asked if it was a collaborative culture (versus just having to do projects together) and he said they do try to pick candidates that would foster a collaborative space.

I asked if the curriculum focused more on theory, execution, or both, and he said there is definitely both but that the main goal is to produce dramatists. So we should be able to jump from playwriting, to screenwriting, to television writing with ease.

I asked if there was room for sci-fi/fantasy/comedy writing, and he said yes. The pedagogy is focused more on how to write not what to write. (I asked this because I think I'm fairly strong at those forms of writing, but my drama sucks.) They what to shape our skills so that we can find our voice.

I told him that he'd answered all my questions, and to please not break my heart in a couple weeks. He said it wasn't up to him.

And finally he said that the admissions team saw something in my packet that made me look interesting, so even if I don't get in I should continue to write.

It was a very nice and encouraging interview. Also, I might just hop on a steamboat and sail to Australia. We discussed it. :D

I know this is rooted in pure delusion and wishful thinking but has anyone heard of people getting into this program without an interview? hahahaa 😂

And cograts to those who had interviews and good luck!!

I know this is rooted in pure delusion and wishful thinking but has anyone heard of people getting into this program without an interview? hahahaa 😂

And cograts to those who had interviews and good luck!!
Apparently if you search our database there was one in 2016.

Hey guys, wanted to let you know that I emailed Kristoffer Diaz, head of admissions, and he said that all interview requests have been sent out by this point.
Oof! I suppose this means that none of the international students on this forum got an interview? Would love to hear if there were any exceptions, but I suppose it's best to keep expectations low at this point.

Thanks for biting the bullet and asking!

If you are international, it might be worth emailing just to check. They were super nice and understanding.

Also, for anyone who was interviewed, would you mind sharing your CV (without names, ofc)? It would be helpful to know the kind of experience they're looking for. Or any tips, really.

If you are international, it might be worth emailing just to check. They were super nice and understanding.

Also, for anyone who was interviewed, would you mind sharing your CV (without names, ofc)? It would be helpful to know the kind of experience they're looking for. Or any tips, really.
I'll dm you

I’m an actor, so I sent them my acting CV - that’s the “relevant” experience I have.

I don't want to upload my resume publicly, but I as far as my experience is concerned I wrote/directed/everythinged a no-budget feature my last year of undergrad, and have done a few shorts. I also included my experience as a line cook and working for a BDSM-gear company because I thought it was interesting.

I interviewed, and I'd be happy to share a little about my background, BUT I'm inclined to believe that the writing sample itself (and perhaps the SOP) is the most critical part of the application. I applied as a playwright, but do not have a lot of professional credits as a playwright yet (I've been primarily and actor and director). I did mention on my resume a bit of work I've done administratively (artistic and literary) at some SPT theatre companies in the past, and the theatre work I have produced/directed myself, but very little of it is directly related to a career as a writer.
I know from my interview that my play got their attention because it was really different/unique...lol I definitely let me freak flag fly with my application and so I'd recommend submitting work that is bold and takes risks!

During my interview he explained that they need people from all different levels of experience to make the cohort work. I have experience in copywriting from an internship but that's probably my only relevant experience. Even if I don't end up getting in, I'm sure my lack of experience won't count against me because it's really about your writing.

They do want people who are very experienced though too! So we are at the mercy of whatever ratio of experienced to unexperienced they decide to go with.

I am procrastinating writing a paper, and I don't know if anyone has already put their theory about this out there, but I was going through the application database and it said that last year this program and another program I applied for released acceptances on the 13th of March, which was a Friday.

On a forum for a different school on here, it said that someone from admissions said the 12th for whatever school that was. This year, the 12th is a Friday like the 13th was last year. Therefore, I am theorizing that acceptances will be the 12th. What do y'all think?

Also I was just thinking about how I'm so excited and counting down the days, but I might be counting down the days to the day I find out I didn't get into grad school haha. But I need to stay positive or I'll spiral :)

I agree that they will likely be this week. Also worth mentioning that last year’s interview requests came a little later in the month, meaning decisions could go out as early as the 10th or so since they rolled out about five days earlier than last year. I interviewed the morning after interview requests went out, so I’ve been sitting here holding my breath for what feels like forever.

I am procrastinating writing a paper, and I don't know if anyone has already put their theory about this out there, but I was going through the application database and it said that last year this program and another program I applied for released acceptances on the 13th of March, which was a Friday.

On a forum for a different school on here, it said that someone from admissions said the 12th for whatever school that was. This year, the 12th is a Friday like the 13th was last year. Therefore, I am theorizing that acceptances will be the 12th. What do y'all think?

Also I was just thinking about how I'm so excited and counting down the days, but I might be counting down the days to the day I find out I didn't get into grad school haha. But I need to stay positive or I'll spiral :)
LOL we must be writers...theorizing, plotting, playing what if...😄
My guess is this coming Friday or next at the latest!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back