NYU Dramatic Writing Program - Fall 2012

dmtr

I guess I'll start this thread. Applicants to the NYU Dramatic Writing Program can post here. Looks like notifications will go out in mid-March. I applied to the TV writing concentration and submitted a spec and pilot script. What did ya'll send in and what is your concentration?

dmtr

Originally posted by Seoulless:
I sent in a feature length comedy. How does this program's reputation compare to UCLA?
I am not an expert on UCLA, but both are considered top tier writing programs. Both have outstanding faculty (e.g., Richard Walter at UCLA; Charlie Rubin at NYU) and are well respected by the industry. I know there are many people on these boards who have attended UCLA and NYU, so they may have better insight on this topic.

Who else applied to NYU for Dramatic Writing and what did you submit?

Hey all,

Goodluck and I submitted a teleplay and a pilot. Again good luck!

Hey has anybody heard about interviews yet? I applied to other programs and one has already rejected me and the other I did get an interview so I suppose they should be coming in the next few days...

dmtr

Hey! Congrats on the interview with the other program. NYU doesn't seem to do interviews for the Dramatic Writing program anymore. I believe they used to, but for the 2009 class they just did "informal" surprise calls, and last year they didn't even do that. You can read about it in past threads on this forum. I guess they could change their mind, but my money is on radio silence until notifications come out in March.

mjsoutha

I'm in the same boat as you, Ignatius Reilly. One rejection, and another place (AFI) I got an interview. NYU is my top choice, though.

dmtr

It seems like the selection committee is a bit ahead of where they were last year since at least one wave of rejections has gone out.

Last year it looks like the Dramatic Writing notifications went as follows:

March 2nd - 1st wave of rejections
March 4th - 2nd wave of rejections
March 9th - Waitlisters notified
March 11th - Acceptances

So, it seems likely we'll know by the end of next week. Has anyone else heard anything?

dmtr

Who applied to DW? Who has heard anything? This thread is much less lively than in prior years.

darkew

I applied. No word yet.

edit: I just got a rejection letter with an invite for Asia, which I'm unable to accept because my scholarship is only valid for the US :(

Last edited by a moderator:

dmtr

Originally posted by darkew:
I applied. No word yet.

edit: I just got a rejection letter with an invite for Asia, which I'm unable to accept because my scholarship is only valid for the US :(
Sorry to hear that. Sounds like the 2nd wave of rejections went out and next week waitlist and acceptances. Anyone else hear anything?

darkew

I don't know if this matters or not, but my rejection letter says that Tisch "has filled all of its available seats".

So, I guess that for whoever didn't get a letter, no news is good news :)

Britton

I still haven't gotten a rejection letter and it's been several days. I'm on edge. Does this mean both waves of rejections have gone out?

dmtr

Originally posted by Britton:
I still haven't gotten a rejection letter and it's been several days. I'm on edge. Does this mean both waves of rejections have gone out?
I think we are all wondering that. I applied last year and thought I was in good shape around this time, only to be waitlisted.

Has anyone received a waitlist notification this year?

Also, did anyone receive a rejection notice after 3/4?

I haven't recieved anything notification of anything yet, unless my letter has been lost somewhere over the Atlantic. Shouldn't be too long if at least some rejections have gone out.

HUwriter

So does everyone receive an interview if they are interested in you? Or are interviews for people who they can't make a decision on?

dmtr

@ mikeofborg - Last year all notifications went out via email, the year before they called admitted students.

@ HUwriter - The Dramatic Writing Program has not historically interviewed any candidates, so lack of an interview is not an indicator of rejection.

What concentration did everyone apply to? I applied to television.

@dmtr Oh, that's good news. At least it's not bad news I suppose.

I applied to the screenwriting concentration and already got into USC. It'll be decision time soon. Big change from Scotland either way...

HUwriter

Originally posted by dmtr:
@ mikeofborg - Last year all notifications went out via email, the year before they called admitted students.

@ HUwriter - The Dramatic Writing Program has not historically interviewed any candidates, so lack of an interview is not an indicator of rejection.

What concentration did everyone apply to? I applied to television.
Really? People were saying they got interviews and they applied for the DW program.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW