NYU Dramatic Writing

Quad

I have a religious progression of email/websites to check. So far, no rejection by NYU.

During admissions last year I received a call early in March, an informal fifteen minute chat with somebody who was unfamiliar with the work I submitted. Having not received one this year, I'm a bit concerned.

luverbouy

They are just about to start spring break. I had a phone interview last week, without warning. I think there will be no news until the last week of March.

Quad

Thanks, Panda, I hope what you say is true. I just got my fourth straight rejection today (batting .000) so I'll keep hope alive for NYU.

NYU's phone interviews are so strange, as well. Maybe some folks from this year's pool can shed some light. What's the purpose of having a single faculty member (unfamiliar with the applicant's submitted materials) call for a short, unannounced chat?

Quad

Brown, Yale, Columbia, and the New School ... but keep in mind these are all playwriting/Dramatic Writing programs. I'm not a film student, there's just no forum for playwrights that I know of.

I interviewed and was waitlisted at New School last year, and declined offers to a few other schools as well (financial reasons). It's amazing how much can change in one year.

How are things looking for you, Filipe?

luverbouy

I interviewed in person at Columbia and then was rejected (playwriting). The NYU phone interview went well, though. Keep the faith. Those are all the best programs!

Filipe

I'm applying for screenwriting (or alikes) at USC / AFI / NYU / Columbia / Northwestern.

I had a phone interview with AFI, which I think went well. That's the only feedback I've had so far.

Quad

While I can't speak to NYU in the city, itself, last year I was offered 8k/year for Tisch Asia's DW program. I believe many of the Tisch Asia students were offered a similar scholarship.

Though I don't dare speculate what that means for this year.

Suzako

I think there is more funding available for Tisch Asia because they are trying to get people to go to the new program.

Has anyone heard anything? I've been checking my app account obsessively.

Please let us know as soon as you hear anything! Good luck to everyone!!

Lionsden

Hi, everyone. Have any of you applied this year to Brooklyn College for Playwriting? Any word on acceptances? Also, has anyone heard anything-- good or bad-- about the new Playwriting program at Queens?

TDK120

I posted this on the USC thread too.

Are any of you in at both NYU and USC? If so, what are you considering as you make the decision?

I'm having a hard time, though I'm a New Yorker. It's a good bit less expensive to live in LA, but New York is New York...

Madison Ave

I've been looking over the forums for a while but never posted, but I wanted to see if anyone else got into the MFA Dramatic Writing program at NYU for the fall?

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW