NYU Dramatic Writing

Hey Forum,

In the spirit of clarity, I thought I would start a new thread for news about the Dramatic Writing program at NYU, since we seem to be in an entirly different boat then the film kids.

I don't know about you, but for me I have a little heart attack every time someone gets a call, until I find out it's not for writing.

Anyway, I thought keeping our thread separate would make things a bit clearer for discussion. Thoughts?

etone112

i agree with u. it gets confusing every time someone posts that they got an interview and then i figure out that it isn't for dramatic writing. people should post if they got an interview on this thread not others so we can keep all the writers with good info.

robot_m

For organizational sake, I think each of the big 5 schools should have it's own separate sub-forum, with another sub-forum for all the other schools. that way it would be easier to go back and look at the previous years' threads.

Neville26

Good idea, IP. This makes everything so much better as Feather and you (and others) were lost in the Film/Production discussions. No one here has heard anything from NYU correct?

Feather

I haven't heard anything yet, and I don't think I've seen anyone else on the boards from Dramatic Writing mention that they have. As to whether that's good or bad...I know you can't see it right now, but I'm shrugging.

I think we'll probably be hearing word later than the Film/Production people, so no need to panic yet...

etone112

anyone know how many applicants were submitted for the dramatic writing program and how many people are accepted. thx.

Neville26

Well that's great. Wasn't thinking I had a chance with NYU anyways, but it looks like now I have a reason. Those are some of the worst odds in terms of MFA in Screenwriting. Usually, most programs are a "1 in 12" get in chance. But that is more like "1 in 14." Yikes.

etone112

i know nyu takes a while to find out when you get in... but let's get going a little bit here. how bout some interviews so i can find out if im even in the running. same with columbia. pick the pace up a bit. it seems that most of these schools do film production or producer applicants first and then save the writers for last. strange strange strange.

Neville26

etone, it'll happen for you. i can feel it. you're gonna hear from NYU first. so i wait on you and depend on you now. no longer will i worry. so let me know when you know. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think we're last, cause, face it, writers are procrastinators. And whose job is it to select us? A bunch of writers.

I love writing more then anything, but I know I can sit down at my desk an waste an hour playing with paperclips and brads before I even open final draft.

"I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams

That's my theory, at least.

pleiades

Nothing to report, just a bad dream. I dreamt that we were able to pick up our acceptances or rejections straight from the university. I met a very nice bohemian red haired girl in the elevator with her boyfriend and subsequently watched her pick up her letter, which had a giant red "ACCEPTED" printed on it. I was awash with jealousy. She was the only one accepted that day, so there were a lot of long faces around. When it got to my turn, they couldn't find my letter, so I had to keep waiting (wtf?!). I woke up feeling frustrated that in the realm of dreams my pessimistic subconscious couldn't even let me have a nice nap. Unbelievable!

Neville26

Oh, I guess you already found this! lol :) Well, nope, haven't heard anything. It is only mid-Feb. I think we should start to worry come mid-March if we've heard nothing. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
    5.00 star(s)
    The summer intensive film program at Sarah Lawrence was fantastic. We were taught by industry professionals, whom had many years of experience...
    • Ldc88
    5.00 star(s)
    I experienced the most incredible summer at IFI, and I wish I could relive it every day! however, since I cannot , I make do by taking what I...
    • Anonymous
    5.00 star(s)
    I have been engaged with filmmaking since the age of 9 and was searching for a course that could further my knoll which is not always easy to...
    • sgabor
    5.00 star(s)
    The Sarah Lawrence Filmmaker's Collective was the top experience I've had at a summer film program. Start to finish, their top priority was that...
    • sammaggs
    5.00 star(s)
    I went into this camp uncertain of what I wanted to do in college. When I finished the five week intensive program, I knew what I wanted to do for...
    • JacobNurse