NYU Grad Film school Fall 2021

I wonder if they got less applicants because the application was more arduous and required us to shoot a film.

NYU: Notification of Decision

Notification of an admission decision cannot be made until all required supporting materials have been received and a full assessment of a candidate has been rendered by the departmental admission committee. A preliminary notification informing the candidate of his or her successful audition/interview may be sent directly by the Graduate Acting program, the Department of Dance, or the Department of Design for Stage and Film. However, a formal offer of admission can only be issued by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
/
It's a two-step process for NYU between Department & Office of Graduate Admissions, whereas AFI has an Admissions Committee only.
So I assume between virtual review of application, and all other Covid delays, it's more difficult for the NYU parts to come to a decision as a whole (at least this is how i justify us here wondering if any invitations have actually been sent out today)

I wonder if they got less applicants because the application was more arduous and required us to shoot a film.
There actually wasn’t a requirement to shoot a film. I submitted 10 pictures. I’m also pretty sure they got much more applications because a contact at another film school (to go unnamed) informed me they got 30% more. My guess is that may have something to do with it also.

There actually wasn’t a requirement to shoot a film. I submitted 10 pictures. I’m also pretty sure they got much more applications because a contact at another film school (to go unnamed) informed me they got 30% more. My guess is that may have something to do with it also.
Yup. I submitted 7 photos, since I haven’t shot a film yet. I think people have really had time to contemplate their futures during COVID, and thus, film schools are seeking huge increases in the number of applicants. Really hope notifications don’t drag out till March, but it seems like that is very possible!

I meant for AFI :) they provided a prompt for applicants to shoot a film

How's everyone preparing? Tips/ question leads? Anything at all that one should keep in mind?
I am unsure what to expect from the interview, I have found that most people say you can't really prepare for it outside of the basic expected questions about your materials, why NYU etc. Has anyone on here applied before and made the interview? I'd love to know more myself as even digging in some of the old forums here it seems people don't talk more in detail about the interview. I am just going to look over my submitted materials and plan to be myself, regarding how I will prepare - so maybe some films and extra exercise to help with the anxiety ha ha. I am really surprised we have not seen more people posting they got interviews, but I am starting to suspect that this year things just may be super delayed with covid. Also have seen from previous years people getting notified of interview requests later into February, so hoping the best for everyone!

I want to ask if anybody received any interview requests today, but something tells me nobody received any

2334F3F6-AF9A-4D64-B3DF-4228849A4245.jpeg

Does anyone know if there’s a way to check your NYU application status?

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back