NYU graduate Filmmaking MFA

Luke joseph

I thought I would start this thread because it's very easy to get mixed up between the number of different programs at each school. To clarify, this thread is for the NYU graduate filmmaking MFA for the Fall of 2010 in New York City.

I'll guess I'll start this by introducing myself. I've been on this forum for the last 2 years, and in that time I've applied to graduate school twice - both times being wait-listed at NYU (am I a sucker for punishment...you betcha). I figure that if you want something badly enough you refuse to give up - cliches abound, but its true. And so, I've applied again to NYU with the hopes of making it in on my third attempt. I'd be happy to talk to anyone about the process - but be warned, in my experience the more you know about all of this the easier it is to get sucked into the worrying game. With that said, I'm more than happy to contribute to everyone's madness. Cheers!

Akriti

Hey Luke,

This is my first year applying to NYU.
I was wondering if you could tell me something about when the interview requests and final decisions come in? Also what are the interviews like? Do they have a specific format?

Thanks.

Luke joseph

Akriti,

I received notification that I got an interview around the first two weeks of february. I remember it being slightly different both years, once around Feb. 8th, and the other around Feb 13th- Both times it was for an interview in Mid March. Final decisions, if I recall correctly were the last week of march or early April. The interviews were really relaxed, literally a conversation about film- no trick questions. With that said, I didn't get in both times, so maybe I'm doing something wrong, hahaha.

Assal - I just left my job where I was an associate producer for a television program in NY, and I am about to begin directing a documentary on a pop-star. If you'd like to watch a visual sample here is a link to a cinematography reel I included as part of my app. Hope you enjoy, and feedback is always welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3EcrrE5cyM

Good luck all.

Luke joseph

I applied for directing. While I love cinematography and I'm a sucker for gorgeous shots, my real love is storytelling.

The video I posted features shots from all around the country when I was on a road-trip to promote a charity that I work for. The shots in that video are primarily around the grand canyon, but also Denver, and Wichita.

Good luck with your application, I know exactly how strenuous it can be - but it does help to talk to people going through the same thing. Cheers!

Akriti

Thanks Luke. Hopefully I can get through the next couple of weeks without pulling out my hair. lol!
Also, the visuals in your reel are very beautiful. Where did you go for that road trip? Looks fun. I've applied for directing too.
I've put in a link to my video submission below. If you have any feedback, I would love to hear it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TG0v5VaR32w

Akriti

Luke - Thanks for the feedback!
The story doesn't continue. It's basically kind of a-day-in-the-life-of story. I was just going for a short 10 minute low budget film.

Kretze

Hi guys!
my name is Pau and I am from Barcelona.
This is my fisrt time applying to NYU (MFA in Filmmaking- Directing), but my second year in this process (last year I applied to AFI and Columbia. I was accepted but could not come because of funding problems).
I haven't heard anything about interviews or anything from NYU.

Well, I wish you guys good luck and hope WE start receiving calls soon!

PS: here's one of the things I submitted, a short film exercise:

http://www.vimeo.com/7837238
password: snooker

assal

Hey Pau, thanks for sharing your link with us, I like it a lot! I wish you good luck and hope this time you can manage everything! I am international student myself and know how hard it is to find scholarships to study here in the US! How long have you been making films??

makefilms

Any stories about people who did this process more than one time?

Two times? Three? four? How it works?

Did you guys got in? I believe Luke Joseph and Duders did this process more than

one time, right?

Thanks a lot, any hopefull story would be nice!

MF

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW