• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

NYU Tisch dialogue — scene description or nah?

ryanglw

Supporter
Hi everyone! I'm just wondering if we can include some scene descriptions in the middle for the dialogue prompt of NYU. Or do they only allow a line of description on the top and the rest should be all dialogue? My friend and I are having a debate over it. Thank you so much for helping!

Dialogue Scene: Write an interesting conversation between two people that reveals something about the characters. You can give a one sentence description of each character, but please include only essential details. Do not write back story. Write a maximum of two pages in screenwriting format. (Save as a pdf and upload to tischfilmandtv.slideroom.com.)

Solution
I think when they say "dialogue scene," they simply mean the scene should be focused on the conversation between two characters as opposed to the action taking place. With that being said, I think including scene description/action should be...

ryanglw

Supporter
Can you give an example of something you want to add?
Screen Shot 2020-10-30 at 11.06.06 AM.png
something like this?

catmom

You can give a one sentence description of each character, but please include only essential details. Do not write back story.
Hi Ryan! I took this more as you're allowed to write a one sentence description of the character, such as age and appearance, rather than limiting the actions. Hope this was helpful!

acsiv

Supporter
I think when they say "dialogue scene," they simply mean the scene should be focused on the conversation between two characters as opposed to the action taking place. With that being said, I think including scene description/action should be fine. I'm going to do it anyway.

Solution

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous
  • SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • catmom