Paying for AFI? (And film school in general)

Abbey Normal

It said March 15th on the email so I reckon we've got time. The fees are so expensive I don't think I'd have a hope in hell of going even if I somehow got in 🙃 😂
Yeah, all these top film programs are crazy expensive!!! The idea of being saddled with crippling debt is scary. Honestly, I don't even want to think about it haha. The cost of living plus tuition is enough to put a down payment on a house or buy 5 Teslas lol.

katiebonnie

Supporter
Yeah, all these top film programs are crazy expensive!!! The idea of being saddled with crippling debt is scary. Honestly, I don't even want to think about it haha. The cost of living plus tuition is enough to put a down payment on a house or buy 5 Teslas lol.
Right!! It's really hard as an international too because I'm so limited on the loans I can get that I'd basically be screwed the second I graduate. Thankfully this is currently not something I have to worry about 😂, I think the competition has only increased this year so I'm not feeling that confident 🤷‍♀️

Right? I'm really curious as to how people pay for their living expenses, especially because the school doesn't allow you to hold employment while you're in the program (which is kinda unethical, in my opinion). Like how do people not starve?

katiebonnie

Supporter
Right? I'm really curious as to how people pay for their living expenses, especially because the school doesn't allow you to have a job while you're in the program (which is kinda unethical, in my opinion). Like how do people not starve?
I really don't see how I could do it without a job, I've been a freelancer for years and (if I got in) I would want to continue working...😬

marianass45

Supporter+
I really don't see how I could do it without a job, I've been a freelancer for years and (if I got in) I would want to continue working...😬
Same here!
I work in a company in the marketing and art department and I was fortunate enough to have an amazing boss who already told me that he wants me to keep working remotely even in the US. The only problem is the currency, but I'm happy to still keep the job!

wuzpoppin

Supporter
there's this really great comment from a previous columbia thread about paying for tuition and expenses that i think is very helpful:

unfortunately a big part (grad PLUS loans) is geared toward US citizens, so i'm sorry about that, international friends!

if i understand correctly, US grad students are basically guaranteed federal loans in the form of grad PLUS loans, up to the max cost of attendance for our program. also federal loans are really good in terms of interest rate and forgiveness vs. private loans, which i would not recommend at all.

wuzpoppin

Supporter
That topline figure is crazy.
for real!! i used to live in new york on a decent salary and i can't imagine doing that all on borrowed money, plus having to do grad school full time

Abbey Normal

Right? I'm really curious as to how people pay for their living expenses, especially because the school doesn't allow you to hold employment while you're in the program (which is kinda unethical, in my opinion). Like how do people not starve?
I know the friends that graduated from AFI came from wealthy backgrounds so money was never an issue. But everyone else I know took out massive loans and are still paying for it. This includes friends that received partial scholarships. And because AFI is so intense I think it's impossible to have a side job the first year, especially during cycle films. I hear you're either on campus, in the library, or writing/collaborating 24/7. So having a part-time job will be difficult to squeeze into your busy schedule.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
I know the friends that graduated from AFI came from wealthy backgrounds so money was never an issue. But everyone else I know took out massive loans and are still paying for it. This includes friends that received partial scholarships. And because AFI is so intense I think it's impossible to have a side job the first year, especially during cycle films. I hear you're either on campus, in the library, or writing/collaborating 24/7. So having a part-time job will be difficult to squeeze into your busy schedule.
What's the estimated total for AFI? $100k? I have it up to $50k a year on our listings but that could be old info. (and would love to update it if it was)

Abbey Normal

What's the estimated total for AFI? $100k? I have it up to $50k a year on our listings but that could be old info. (and would love to update it if it was)

Per AFI's site:

1614017970691.png

Welp, sounds nice. Haha. Yeah, I can imagine it's really difficult to manage with the workload. Almost impossible :(

katiebonnie

Supporter
there's this really great comment from a previous columbia thread about paying for tuition and expenses that i think is very helpful:

unfortunately a big part (grad PLUS loans) is geared toward US citizens, so i'm sorry about that, international friends!

if i understand correctly, US grad students are basically guaranteed federal loans in the form of grad PLUS loans, up to the max cost of attendance for our program. also federal loans are really good in terms of interest rate and forgiveness vs. private loans, which i would not recommend at all.
Well... that's a depressing read 😂 I did get the vibe that Columbia was out of my league and clearly it is as there's no way I would be able to just continuously borrow funds, bit of a shame to read that they are not a low income friendly school.

Buttt yes an incredibly helpful resource! Thank you for sharing! It's so weird to me because it seems so easy for my American friends to come to the UK to live or study and yet my parents would have to remortgage their house twice and I'd probs have to sell a kidney to study in the US 😂

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Go if you have a sizable scholarship
    Ultimately glad I went, but my overall experience at Emerson felt very lackluster. The courses were good, but nothing really worth sinking almost...
    • Anonymous
  • USC School of Cinematic Arts (BA/BFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    A Journey Most Illuminating
    I started my USC adventure as a Theatre major. I quickly discovered that I needed to change paths, and film had always been of interest. I thought...
    • JHD
  • London Film School (LFS) - Directing Summer School with Udayan Prasad
    5.00 star(s)
    Great Filmmaking Intensive, Though Pricey
    I attended this summer program in 2019. I wanted to try out directing in an environment where I would get feedback on my work and where I could...
    • llueve
  • Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya

Latest Accepted Applications