1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Poet & Screenwriter hailing from Texas

Discussion in 'Introductions and Welcomes' started by a.v., Jul 19, 2018.

1. a.v.

a.v. New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi y'all!

Just wanted to introduce myself to the 2019 Film School hopefuls! I'm a 27-year-old Honduran-American poet and screenwriter currently living in Austin, Texas.

I have a couple of completed short films under my belt as writer-director, and a couple as a producer-cinematographer, and am working hard to watch, write, and read as much as possible. My current motivation and commitment is a Screenwriting 365 (everyday engaging with my craft for 365 days) and am glowing as I float into day 43!

My work tends to lean closer to surrealist-science fiction for features, and dark comedy for television.

Schools I'm applying to for an MFA in Screenwriting: The Michener Center, USC, AFI.

So excited to connect!

• Love Love x 1
  2. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +335
    Welcome!

3. BadouBoy

BadouBoy Member

Ratings:
    +74
    Hello @a.v. - welcome! hope you find this forum as useful as I did. I'm attending UT Austin's Production MFA program this fall, got into AFI Directing as well. Feel free to reach out if you have questions about the general process. I also have some questions for you about Austin life :)

4. a.v.

a.v. New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi! Congratulations on attending UT's MFA program! I've met many graduates that have been so happy with their education there! I will definitely be reaching out to you this summer.

What questions do you have about Austin? I've been here for a decade and am a proud and true Texan! In general, it's fairly safe as long as you're mindful of your belongings. There are plenty of grocery stores, parks, majority of the city of bus accessible (your bus pass is free as a UT student), it's very green -- meaning, tons of outdoor events and activities to do, such as hiking, biking, swimming, etc. Politically, the town leans left. There's always the music scene that is truly something special. There are so many great film communities: the Paramount Theater does their Summer Classic Film Series every year, AFS Cinema does an incredible job of curating fantastic films, and then of course, we have several Alamo Drafthouses and a bit more upscale Violet Crown Cinema. Solid bookstores between Malvern Books and BookPeople. Housing can be tricky depending on your needs, but my partner and I found a central 1 bedroom for about $1,000 excluding utilities. As a college town, most folks share apartments or rent out rooms near UT campus, but I think $600-800 in living expenses might be the minimum someone can expect.

Austin is about as friendly as it gets! Feel free to reach out with any specific questions you might have, though!