Question about NYU Tisch creative submission - will you watch my film?

Hi! I am a high school senior and I am applying to a film production major at schools like NYU, Loyola Marymount, UCLA... etc. I am totally lost, I've never known anyone to go to film school in my small community and my counselors are no help in this field either haha! I made a film this summer and I am wondering if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me? It's only 2 minutes long, and I'm wondering if that is too short, especially for NYU? I have time to make another one if need be but I'm wondering if my time would be better spent on the short story, other writing pieces? Can anyone help me out?

I made a film this summer and I am wondering if anyone wouldn't mind taking a look at it for me? It's only 2 minutes long, and I'm wondering if that is too short, especially for NYU? I have time to make another one if need be but I'm wondering if my time would be better spent on the short story, other writing pieces? Can anyone help me out?
Sure we'll take a look! :) Post it below.

What's the exact prompt in the application?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/19alzeOAnKUYRoBuI1vwH0WZZxiyayPOw/view?usp=sharing

Thank you so so much, I am totally lost in this process haha! This is the just the creative submission. So for most of my schools, its a video up to 5 minutes in length produced entirely by you
I liked it! It was nicely shot and put together. I think it would suffice as a submission.

But my one critique would be that it's more of an inner monologue narrative and not a clear scene or scenes with a beginning, middle, and end. I'm not sure if that's what they're looking for though and it's always good to get your creative juices flowing and work on your storytelling chops by shooting new things if you want... but the film is good.

However the most important thing in applications to film school I believe is the personal statement. Schools are looking for potential and it is rare that a portfolio is the reason someone is accepted according to our interview with USC admissions:

In your opinion, what are the most important things to focus on in an application to SCA? Is there any aspect that kind of weighs a little bit more than other components?

Yes, there is. Your personal statement is the equalizer. If everything else is great and [the personal statement] is bad, it doesn't mean you're going to stay out . . . We're not supposed to look at it like it's weighted more than everything else, but if it's done really well we're not going to be able to leave that application alone.

Does a creative portfolio have any weight in the whole process, or is that something that you guys look at a lot?

So I'm commenting right now just for the production programs. I don't know about the animation programs etc. because I've never worked for them. I can say that for production, there are other things that can matter. I have seen people who've gotten in because their visual example had something special in it. You know, every part of the application matters– there's no doubt about it. Especially if you're tied with somebody else for a seat.

There are certain things that we really don't put as much stress on. I'd say the portfolio is one of them that we . . . you know, look, there's a little bit of subjectivity of course to it all depending on who is looking at it at the time. But for somebody like me, I look at the portfolio as basically bonus points. I look to see if you've done a lot of stuff and if you've shown a clear interest in film– fantastic. But in general, it's just weighted a lot less– I've never seen anybody get in because of a portfolio. And like I said myself, I didn't have a portfolio. I tried to scrap some stuff together that made it look like I was creative.

I have had portfolios come my way that did something. I had one recently this year that they'd done a really beautiful job with it. Usually it looks like a resume where people just write down what they have done. But this one had really taken a lot of care in putting in screenshots and making the whole thing beautiful-- just showing another creative side of themselves. And they had a hand-drawn thing . . . And that's not expected and it's not going to get that person in necessarily, but it just shows me this is someone who cares. And I think any opportunity you can do that is good.

By the way, we do have an objective way that we rate everything across the board. And so it's not just like, “Oh, my decision!”.

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC SCA: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back