Questions that you'd like to ask Current Film Students? (1 Viewer)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Doing some more interviews with current students soon. What questions would you like to ask them? Here are some questions I already have ready.

• What's your day in the life?
  • How much to you collaborate with your peers?
  • What do you wish you knew before you started?
  • What's your favorite thing about your program?
  • What's your least favorite thing about your program?
  • What has surprised you the most about your program?
  • What are you looking forward to the most during your program?
  • How prepared do you feel to enter the industry as you approach graduation? Does your program help with internships and connections well to help the post graduation transition?
  • How many ORIGINAL, completed scripts did you walk away with after graduation?
  • How easy/difficult is it to work a full time job while studying full time? Are the classes flexible enough to where you can take only night classes, day classes, only a couple times a week vs 5 days a week, etc.?
  • Could you see the differences, for better or worse, in scripts you had worked on in the past and whether you believe that the MFA program you attended succeeded in honing your skills further?
  • What was your opinion of the classroom dynamic?

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Hi Chris!

Some additional questions:

- To add to your question about classroom dynamic, I'd be interested to hear from current students about diveristy and inclusion within the classrooms and faculty and how this impacts class projects.

- Aside from learning the craft of filmmaking/screenwriting, how are schools preparing students to navigate life after graduation (ie, the business side of entertainment)?

- How do schools deal with mental health to ensure students don't burn out from overworking and stress?

- Can current students talk about scholarships, grants, fellowships, and experiences TA-ing? I guess I'd like to know how are students funding their education?

- How do students balance work life/social life to make the most out of film school considering networking/building connections is a big part of of the industry?

- Because an MFA is a terminal degree, I'd like to know if any students have found jobs teaching screenwriting at colleges/universities.

Thanks!!! 😃

hugofaraco

• How many films did you direct during the MFA?
  • What's the percentage of theory (lectures) vs production in your program?
  • How do you feel about a discipline focused approach (like AFI) vs other schools like USC that have directing, editing, producing and cinematography students in the same classes for the first year?
  • How is your school dealing with Covid and online classes?

llueve

Supporter
My biggest and hardest-to-answer question is always, What is the 'personality' of this school?
Because I want to know if I'll be able to 'find my people' there. To me, that's an important part of a Film MFA.

For example, if I were to describe the 'vibe' or 'personality' of my undergrad school I would say something like: Campus was half hippies, half hipsters, and all of them were hardcore nerds -- and that last part was the part that meant I would fit in there.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
One man's mission to document and preserve the history and pop culture of the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. Tommy Gelinas was born and raised in the San Fernando Valley in Southern California. He grew up visiting restaurants, malls, and many other venues that slowly declined and...
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 600
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
13:52
Film Completion
Dec 1, 2020
Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications