RE: MFA Program Visual Sample Specifics

Jrfuzak

Supporter
To Whom it may Concern,

My name is Jake and I will be applying to MFA programs this upcoming fall and have a questions regarding the visual example requirement. The questions is as follows

Due to the majority of the schools having a 5 minute max requirement, would it be wiser to up load a a scene from a longer short, or would a 5 minute or less total short be more beneficial?

Thank you for your time!

green-scarf

To Whom it may Concern,

My name is Jake and I will be applying to MFA programs this upcoming fall and have a questions regarding the visual example requirement. The questions is as follows

Due to the majority of the schools having a 5 minute max requirement, would it be wiser to up load a a scene from a longer short, or would a 5 minute or less total short be more beneficial?

Thank you for your time!
I don’t know how qualified I am to answer this question (I haven’t gotten into any schools yet but am at the interview stage with USC & FSU) but I’m going to tell you that I don’t know if it matters that much!

I was told that a 5 minute or less short would be better but I only had an 8 minute short available to me. USC had a 5 minute limit so I edited my short a bit and sent in the first 5 minutes (ending at a turning point in the story) and FSU had a 15 minute limit so I sent in the whole 8 minute short as is. I think if a school finds your overall submitted materials interesting, they are going to move you along to the next stage. But please take this advice with a grain of salt! I reccomend reaching out to the admissions office at the schools you are interested in for a more definitive answer.

truffleshuffle

I'm also only in the interview stage now but what I've been hearing is that they want as complete a project as you can make within that time limit so that they can see if you know how to tell a story with a beginning, middle, and end.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• University of North Texas
    3.00 star(s)
    You Get What You Put In
    Started the program off with an intro film professor who had no desire to help me learn. A lot of classes you need to get through before you can...
    • Anonymous
  • School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) - Film, Video, New Media, and Animation
    5.00 star(s)
    Studying film at SAIC can be a challenging choice.
    Pros 1. amazing facilities and equipment. (it's a private art school-they are rich) a.Red Scarlet and Steadicam for several higher-level classes...
    • Anonymous
  • New York Film Academy (NYFA)
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Online Courses, Lame Admin
    I have an MFA in TV production that I haven't used in 30 years. I took the one-week film making course to morph from TV jargon to film and update...
    • Anonymous
  • Rhode Island School of Design (RISD)
    4.00 star(s)
    RISD BFA in Film
    RISD's film major (called Film / Animation / Video) is split into three tracks: Animation, Live-Action (narrative and documentary), and Open Media...
    • Anonymous
  • Chapman University - Dodge College MFA in Film Production (Cinematography)
    3.00 star(s)
    Disappointing
    I studied in the MFA cine program for one year and deferred due to the corona virus, but decided not to return to the program, mainly due to...
    • CineEye

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications