Reapplication to USC Film Production for Spring 2012

denverfilm

Hey all,

Wanted to see who got the email about reapplication to USC for the Spring Semester. Is it a popular option for people who weren't accepted?? Is it just as hard as the fall class?

Dimos

I just got the email and was about to post almost the same thread, so glad someone else is on it too.

I'm wondering the same questions myself. My assumption would be that there are less applicants for the spring classes in general, therefore increasing your odds. But at the same time I was considering writing a new application, because if it didn't work last time than why not write something better right?

If anyone knows more let us know, thanks

I got this as well.

What about the people who were "waitlisted Fall 2011/Accepted Spring 2012"? That was a significant number I thought.

But I suppose there are still spots to fill. The question of course being "how many"? And if you weren't waitlisted before - do you stand any better chance now? Did all of those who got rejected get this email or only stronger candidates? - That's a key question.

It's nice that you can basically just "resubmit," but do you have another application fee? How much do you have to re-do?

phantomg6

I received this today as well, and had all the same questions. I wasn't previously notified about a wait list, so I'm wondering if the invitation to reapply was sent to a more broad audience than I initially suspected.

The invitation, to answer your question Masked Man, indicated there is no new application fee, nor do you have to (or, for that matter, have the option to) edit, revise, or strengthen your application in any way. What I gathered is, they just take another look at it. The key question, as you pointed out, is how many people are they considering, and for how many positions. I wasn't privy to this part of the application process...

saintman

Hi,

If it's comforting to any of you, I had applied to USC Film/TV & got rejected, but didn't receive any such letter for re-application!! BTW did you get a snail or e-mail?

Congrats

Dimos

Sorry to hear you didn't get the same message. I got it through email so check your spam or other inboxes to make sure.

But if you're right and they did only send this offer to some of applicants than this is somewhat good news for reapplying. I'm still not sure if I should resubmit or submit a new application... Hmmmm...

mongoose

Hi, all.

I, too, received the reapplication email. It's strange that the email says we need to send a new application in by August 1. On the SCA website, it says that spring admission apps are due Sept. 1. Anyone have any insight on the discrepancy in dates?

Also, I've done some digging in old threads. Here are some things to consider:

From @jamesc in this years USC production thread:

For everyone applying for the first time, if you unfortunately don't make it into USC this round, USC will automatically want you to re-apply for the next semester (Spring '12) and will waive you application fee. You'll probably be getting an email about this 1-2 months before the Spring '12 deadline. You will be given a choice of either re-submitting the same materials or requesting to add new materials to re-submit.

Something else to think about for Spring: the numbers are all over the map, but traditionally there are 600-900 applicants for Fall and only 200-300 applicants for Spring, but 60 slots for both. I'd wager that about 15 of those Spring slots are taken by Fall waitlisters (as happened in the year I waitlisted for Spring), meaning 45 open spots for Spring. So chances of Fall acceptance: 8-12%. Chances of Spring acceptance: 15-22%.
Unfortunately, it doesn't really clarify whether or not you have to pay a new application fee if you opt to send new materials.

Furthermore, you may want to read the "Reject cafe" topic:
http://www.studentfilms.com/ev...=675103455#675103455

Jayimess

Spring admission is the same as Fall admission. You take the same exact classes. Your degree will not say Spring Admit. There are no bullies waiting around to tease you for not starting in August, and it's not like people prejudge you based on your start semester. It's all the same, and after your second or third semester, your incoming semester isn't relevant...You're just taking classes and making films in whatever capacity you prefer.

My 532 directing class had people in anywhere from their third to seventh semester, and I was a fourth semester writing student.

So it is all the frickin' same program.

So look at this big picture, using simple numbers because I don't know the actual stats.

USC admits 50 students in Fall, out of 800 applicants, and 50 in Spring, out of an additional 200 applicants.

So USC admits 100 students out of 1000. 10%

If you apply for fall and are offered spring, you're still admitted. It might not feel that way, but get excited...you just got into USC. You can go to USC, and you can graduate from USC. Period. You are in, but you can't start yet. Think of it as a queue.

Waitlists are college purgatory...you're not in, but you're not out. If there's room, they might let you in, but they aren't letting you get in line until somebody else leaves.

USC Production doesn't have a waitlist, but the re-apply email sounds about as close as it gets. They already know they like you, and they're pretty sure they love you, but they need to know you're interested.

There are some benefits to Spring admission: you can apply for scholarships after a semester, not an entire year, and you have the whole summer to plan your 508.

If it were me, I'd make something awesome this summer, and then I'd reapply. I'd also re-work each piece that kept me up at night from the day I sent my application until the day I received my decisions, but not touch the stuff you feel really good about. Resubmit...they still have your old stuff and the feedback...you made an impression, and they will remember you.

You literally have nothing to lose.

Jing

hey Jayimess
Thanks for the insights, does it mean if I simply resubmit with what I had for fall semester (and got rejected) rather than re-apply for spring semester (new materials, new application fee), I will put myself in a disadvantageous place cos their feedback may stay the same?

Dimos

Hey Jayimess,

I'm a bit confused by what you mean. Are you saying that we have nothing to lose to submit a new application? or nothing to lose to resubmit the same one??

I really want to re-apply for the spring 2012 class (because I want to start sooner than later, and as you pointed out the odds are better), but I'm debating if I should submit a new application or re-submit the same one. It sounds like, if this is only offered to some applicants, that it is a quasi-waiting list type of thing, and therefore I would re-submit because it seems like my application could make it in. If its just offered to everyone is not a quasi-wait list I would rather submit a new application to improve...

I'm going to re-apply either way, just whether I resubmit or make a new one is the question.

jamesc

Just to clarify, you do not have to pay a new application fee if you submit new materials. The application fee is waived regardless. That being said, it is generally recommended to submit new materials, or at least to make some tweaks to your personal statement.

Dimos

Its recommended to submit new stuff, but doing so you're not participating in this "reapplication" offer they give out. Which we're not sure if theres a difference or it really matters in the end...

saintman

I have been told application fee would have to be paid if new materials are to be submiited; however to re-submit the old stuff we need not pay anything!

phantomg6

Saintman--you had previously mentioned that you didn't receive this letter; should I take your question to mean that you did in fact get the letter for reapplication?

Can anyone confirm whether they *did not* get the email for reapplication? It's starting to sound like it went out to everyone...

saintman

Hi phantomg6,

I guess I'm with you! No, I didn't receive it but when I contacted them I've been told that I should've received a form (!)/for the record I haven't, but anyway I would be able to re-apply this Spring 2012 at no cost; if I don't change my materials!!

mongoose

I believe everyone received it. I'm planning on resubmitting new materials, so I'm not going to take the offer. :(

Last edited by a moderator:

Jayimess

To clarify, if it were me, and it's not, I would work on every aspect of my application that I didn't feel confident about...for instance, on my app to USC writing, which I was admitted to from waitlist, I'm almost certain that one of my prompted scenes, the cohabitation exercise, is what kept me from a straight acceptance, and that the other, the elevator exercise, is what saved me from straight rejection.

In such a similar situation, I would leave the elevator scene as is, and rewrite the cohabitation scene. That's what I meant...

Lvn

Nice to see you back Jayimess :)

People listen to her, she single-handedly got a lot of us into USC.

On the topic: I was wait-listed for Spring, but got admitted in the Fall. I second J's advice: Re-do your application.

What I changed was my personal statement which went from common-denominator-pleasing to " Really, this is me, with all my quirks and faults. " The second one got me in.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews