Recommendation Letters

Operator

Chapman
Has anyone successfully gotten an interview or accepted to a top MFA program without having all the required recommendation letters? I'm applying to USC and I only have 2 out of 3 letters in. Looks like the third person dropped off the face of the planet and I don't know of anyone else willing to write one for me. I know when I applied to U of Miami two years ago they accepted my application and made me an admissions offer with only 2 out of 3 letters. But I've never heard of a top school doing that.

sharkb8

iAmB84AshRk
Yikes, that must be stressful. Sorry you’re going through that.

I’m afraid it’s not going to work to only send 2. When I applied to USC, they wouldn’t even send my application to the admissions committee until I verified my additional certificate. I had sent transcripts of my undergraduate coursework, but I was also taking a graduate certificate course, and USC followed up with me saying I needed to send an official transcript of that additional certificate program as well. If I hadn’t sent it, they wouldn’t even have viewed my application. If you only have two letters, you probably will be an instant DQ for not complying with the requirements, and even if you did get through, you’ll be missing out on a potential ace in the hand that could help you get in.

The point of LOR’s is to show something else about your character and personality that might not show up in your own words. If someone else says “I was amazed by this person’s ability to light up a room” that helps paint a picture for the admissions committee of who you are and what you can add to the program.

Are you sure there’s no one else who would write something for you? It doesn’t have to be about film or school, it could be someone who saw you do something commendable in community service, at work, or in regular life. You’re a veteran right? Is there someone you served with who could say he knows you have the squad’s back wherever you go? Is there a family friend who would say how much he’s seen you grow as a person over the years? Think outside the box and maybe you can come up with a great letter of recommendation.

Operator

Chapman
Yikes, that must be stressful. Sorry you’re going through that.

I’m afraid it’s not going to work to only send 2. When I applied to USC, they wouldn’t even send my application to the admissions committee until I verified my additional certificate. I had sent transcripts of my undergraduate coursework, but I was also taking a graduate certificate course, and USC followed up with me saying I needed to send an official transcript of that additional certificate program as well. If I hadn’t sent it, they wouldn’t even have viewed my application. If you only have two letters, you probably will be an instant DQ for not complying with the requirements, and even if you did get through, you’ll be missing out on a potential ace in the hand that could help you get in.

The point of LOR’s is to show something else about your character and personality that might not show up in your own words. If someone else says “I was amazed by this person’s ability to light up a room” that helps paint a picture for the admissions committee of who you are and what you can add to the program.

Are you sure there’s no one else who would write something for you? It doesn’t have to be about film or school, it could be someone who saw you do something commendable in community service, at work, or in regular life. You’re a veteran right? Is there someone you served with who could say he knows you have the squad’s back wherever you go? Is there a family friend who would say how much he’s seen you grow as a person over the years? Think outside the box and maybe you can come up with a great letter of recommendation.
Meh...it's not a big deal if I don't get in. I got accepted to American University in DC as a back up. But, still debating if I'm gonna go or not. They have a very unique curriculum compared to most schools. My other choice school(DePaul) will send out notifications around March I was told.

When I applied to USC, they wouldn’t even send my application to the admissions committee until I verified my additional certificate. I had sent transcripts of my undergraduate coursework, but I was also taking a graduate certificate course, and USC followed up with me saying I needed to send an official transcript of that additional certificate program as well. If I hadn’t sent it, they wouldn’t even have viewed my application.
So if you have something missing from your application they don't DQ your application right away? I have no other choice than send my transcripts after the deadline due to international transcript verification process. I'm not applying to USC, however, but to NYU and AFI instead.

sharkb8

iAmB84AshRk
So if you have something missing from your application they don't DQ your application right away? I have no other choice than send my transcripts after the deadline due to international transcript verification process. I'm not applying to USC, however, but to NYU and AFI instead.
They told me the admissions team examines the applications before sending them on to the SCA, which happens a few weeks after apps are received. But they had me send an in progress transcript. You should call them and see what they’ll accept.

Latest reviews

Latest Applications