Rising 2nd Year MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film. AMA

Tsh

Hi! My name is Tara and I just finished my first year at NYU Grad Film in May. Chris the Admin asked me to host an AMA and I thought it would be a great idea! This is something that would have been so helpful to me last year, while I was lurking on this site trying to figure out which school to choose, and then once I accepted NYU what to expect there.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions -- and if you want to PM me, that's cool, too.

Thanks!
Tara

Hi! My name is Tara and I just finished my first year at NYU Grad Film in May. Chris the Admin asked me to host an AMA and I thought it would be a great idea! This is something that would have been so helpful to me last year, while I was lurking on this site trying to figure out which school to choose, and then once I accepted NYU what to expect there.

I'm happy to answer any of your questions -- and if you want to PM me, that's cool, too.

Thanks!
Tara

Thanks for being willing to share your experience, Tara! Congratulations on completing your first year! I'm brimming with questions :)
  • Are you focusing on writing & directing?
  • What surprised you the most about your first year (and specifically first semester)?
  • We just got our orientation schedule and list of fall courses, and boy, it looks like it's going to be an intense yet fun ride. What professors did you gravitate towards?
  • How did crewing work out for you?
  • What did you you value/appreciate about the classroom and production work?
  • What did you love, what did you struggle with and what didn't you like?
So many questions :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for being willing to share your experience, Tara! Congratulations on completing your first year! I'm brimming with questions :)
  • What surprised you the most about your first year (and specifically first semester)?
  • We just got our orientation schedule and list of fall courses, and boy, it looks like it's going to be an intense yet fun ride. What professors did you gravitate towards?
So many questions :)
Hi there!

Let me answer some of your questions:

• Yes, I am! But there are also people in my class who are going to focusing on cinematography.
    • I think what surprised me the most about my first year is how much it costs to make your MOS and your Spring Narrative. Prepare and budget for those films. NYU gives you an allotment for 2nd Year, but not for MOS and Spring Narrative. Ideally, you could do these films for free, but at the end of the day, everyone wants to make the best films possible. So that includes shooting out of NYC or production designing or hiring actors etc. Also, it's your responsibility to feed your crew and transport them if you are going out of NYC. Food and crafty is $$$ because you'll be shooting MOS in the winter and you want to make sure people are happy. I'd also recommend trying to shoot you MOS earliest in your crew. As you get into November, the days get shorter and you have less time to shoot because the light runs out.
    • How intense directing exercises are. You are shooting every single weekend and editing every week. Take these seriously, because this is how you practice for your films.
    • I think I am also the most surprised by how amazing and collaborative my classmates are. I had heard rumors that NYU is competitive, but I just haven't found that to be the case in my first year. Everyone is so kind and generous with their time, ideas, and creative energy.
    • How much time you spend in class and editing at school.
    • You spend a lot of time at school. It's a full-time job. Most days I get to school for 9:30 classes and don't end up leaving until 11 or so. On a good day, I leave at 7. The professors are all amazing, seriously. You can't choose wrong. I'm happy to private message you if you have specific questions about specific people.
    • NYU assigns crews the first year! It worked out amazingly. You get very close to your crews. It takes the stress out of it, honestly. Production period is an intense time, but also gives you a taste of what it's like to freelance out of school.
    • I mean, all of it. It really is geared to training you as a filmmaker who has to juggle a lot at once, while making movies.
    • Love: for fear of sounding cheesy, I feel like I'm exactly where I need to be. I love the collaborative nature of the program. I love making movies, in all aspects. I'm actually on location right now in the South of France producing a thesis film for a rising 4th year who was my GA. I have a producing background, and she needed help and wanted to collaborate.
    • Struggle: taking care of myself. I had a really hard time balancing self-care and work. Going to try to be better at that this semester.
    • Didn't like: I mean, everything comes with a negative, but the positives outweigh the negatives for me.

Thanks!
Tara
Hi, Tara! We are going to choose the courses and teachers. Do you mind introducing the different styles of those teachers? It will help a lot. Thank you~

Who are the professors avail this semester for y’all? It changes every year. Thanks!

Here is the list~

Who are the professors avail this semester for y’all? It changes every year. Thanks!

Hi Tsheff,

Thanks so much for all this information it has been so helpful to get your prospective! I have a question about instructors that I'd like to ask? I'm currently deciding between screenwriting professors and would be so interested on your take on them and their different styles? What made you choose the screenwriting instructor you had this year?

These are the instructors listed:

Mick Casale

Liliana Greenfield-Sanders

Ken Friedman

Hey Everyone,

I don't feel super comfortable talking about professors on the wide-open internet. It's a VERY small department. If you have specific questions about specific people, please DM me or email me.

I think the biggest advice I have is come to school with a couple of ideas for your MOS. You jump into it so quickly, it's good to hit the ground running. Be open to change, be flexible, but it might be good to have a couple of loglines.

I think another bit of advice is read about each professor. Do your research. One person I'm SO GLAD I took is Brooke Berman, who I will talk about because I love her so goddamn much. She's a real mentor to me, and I knew we would vibe after reading all about her on the internet. I read some of her plays. Etc. Etc. Also Jenn Ruff, because we connect on another level and I found mentorship with her immediately.

That's another thing -- I worked in the film industry for about 5 years before I entered NYU and I knew I wanted to find creative collaborators and mentors in the faculty. Not everyone has that vibe, but that's my vibe.

Everyone is so different, and NYU caters to that. Seriously, the work everyone makes is amazing and there is no single genre. And because of that, there isn't one professor who does one thing. Pick professors who's vibe you like and who makes work you like (or don't like! that can also be really educational!).

I hope that helps.

Sorry I've been away! Here to answer any more questions :)

Best,
T

Last edited:
Hi I have a question. I've never lived in the Eastern part of the U.S. before like NY and I was wondering what kind of route do you take on after graduating from MFA in NY. FYI I'm international student and am willing to attend MFA programs there. Do they apply for internships or production companies? I wonder what they do after graduation!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back