Tina Berardi

Hi!

I'm applying to LMU, DePaul, UCLA, Texas, Chapman, and maybe Boston U for MFA in screenwriting programs, and noticed that there are pages posted for scholarship opportunities on each site, but I'm unsure exactly what I could get upon applying, particularly at UCLA... they have a whole page of scholarships, a lot for women in film (which I am), but I don't know if I need to apply to them when I apply for the program, or if they're given upon application based off of merit/ need.

Any information about any of the above programs will help!!!!

SavSolo

Hi!

I'm applying to LMU, DePaul, UCLA, Texas, Chapman, and maybe Boston U for MFA in screenwriting programs, and noticed that there are pages posted for scholarship opportunities on each site, but I'm unsure exactly what I could get upon applying, particularly at UCLA... they have a whole page of scholarships, a lot for women in film (which I am), but I don't know if I need to apply to them when I apply for the program, or if they're given upon application based off of merit/ need.

Any information about any of the above programs will help!!!!
Super late response but it should've had you do it as a part of your application. If not then I would look on your own for scholarships through the school website but also scholarships that aren't through your school once you've found out where you're going. When you get accepted to multiple places you can also play hardball and directly ask schools when you're debating where to go. If you go in for an interview DO NOT hesitate to ask about scholarships and if there are any available. Especially if you are in extreme financial need, make it known that you're poor and that you might not end up attending due to cost. Can work, could not work, but doesn't hurt to try. I attend LMU and I know people who went into their phone calls and meeting of the department head and just simply asked and received. Scholarships will be offered throughout your time at the university depending on how well you're doing and who you beat out they aren't impossible to get. Once you know where you're going talk to someone. Reach out to the department, find out who to talk to about scholarships and they will help point you in the right direction. If you don't end up with anything look for work-study jobs or something part-time if you're stressed financially. Most people in my program work part-time as do I. It sucks and can be stressful sometimes but anything you can do to pursue your dream is worth it! Good luck and feel free to ask any other question! And if you attend LMU reach out and I'd be happy to show you around or grab a beer.

Hannaheh

Late to the party, but I attend LMU and also applied to BU. BU offers a very substantial amount of financial aid. Outside of my housing expenses and books, the program itself would've been nearly free. I believe they automatically consider you for scholarships too with their general application which is nice. LMU is also pretty responsive if you approach your program department head! I asked as the deadline approached and Karol was great about making things work. You also reapply at LMU every year for scholarships and you typically get more as you move up in the program (so long as you're still in good standing.) Hope that helps some.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews