Tina Berardi

Hi!

I'm applying to LMU, DePaul, UCLA, Texas, Chapman, and maybe Boston U for MFA in screenwriting programs, and noticed that there are pages posted for scholarship opportunities on each site, but I'm unsure exactly what I could get upon applying, particularly at UCLA... they have a whole page of scholarships, a lot for women in film (which I am), but I don't know if I need to apply to them when I apply for the program, or if they're given upon application based off of merit/ need.

Any information about any of the above programs will help!!!!

Hi!

I'm applying to LMU, DePaul, UCLA, Texas, Chapman, and maybe Boston U for MFA in screenwriting programs, and noticed that there are pages posted for scholarship opportunities on each site, but I'm unsure exactly what I could get upon applying, particularly at UCLA... they have a whole page of scholarships, a lot for women in film (which I am), but I don't know if I need to apply to them when I apply for the program, or if they're given upon application based off of merit/ need.

Any information about any of the above programs will help!!!!

Super late response but it should've had you do it as a part of your application. If not then I would look on your own for scholarships through the school website but also scholarships that aren't through your school once you've found out where you're going. When you get accepted to multiple places you can also play hardball and directly ask schools when you're debating where to go. If you go in for an interview DO NOT hesitate to ask about scholarships and if there are any available. Especially if you are in extreme financial need, make it known that you're poor and that you might not end up attending due to cost. Can work, could not work, but doesn't hurt to try. I attend LMU and I know people who went into their phone calls and meeting of the department head and just simply asked and received. Scholarships will be offered throughout your time at the university depending on how well you're doing and who you beat out they aren't impossible to get. Once you know where you're going talk to someone. Reach out to the department, find out who to talk to about scholarships and they will help point you in the right direction. If you don't end up with anything look for work-study jobs or something part-time if you're stressed financially. Most people in my program work part-time as do I. It sucks and can be stressful sometimes but anything you can do to pursue your dream is worth it! Good luck and feel free to ask any other question! And if you attend LMU reach out and I'd be happy to show you around or grab a beer.

Late to the party, but I attend LMU and also applied to BU. BU offers a very substantial amount of financial aid. Outside of my housing expenses and books, the program itself would've been nearly free. I believe they automatically consider you for scholarships too with their general application which is nice. LMU is also pretty responsive if you approach your program department head! I asked as the deadline approached and Karol was great about making things work. You also reapply at LMU every year for scholarships and you typically get more as you move up in the program (so long as you're still in good standing.) Hope that helps some.

Super late response but it should've had you do it as a part of your application. If not then I would look on your own for scholarships through the school website but also scholarships that aren't through your school once you've found out where you're going. When you get accepted to multiple places you can also play hardball and directly ask schools when you're debating where to go. If you go in for an interview DO NOT hesitate to ask about scholarships and if there are any available. Especially if you are in extreme financial need, make it known that you're poor and that you might not end up attending due to cost. Can work, could not work, but doesn't hurt to try. I attend LMU and I know people who went into their phone calls and meeting of the department head and just simply asked and received. Scholarships will be offered throughout your time at the university depending on how well you're doing and who you beat out they aren't impossible to get. Once you know where you're going talk to someone. Reach out to the department, find out who to talk to about scholarships and they will help point you in the right direction. If you don't end up with anything look for work-study jobs or something part-time if you're stressed financially. Most people in my program work part-time as do I. It sucks and can be stressful sometimes but anything you can do to pursue your dream is worth it! Good luck and feel free to ask any other question! And if you attend LMU reach out and I'd be happy to show you around or grab a beer.

I am likely attending LMU if I can get the deposit down on time (out of the control rigt now). And am an international student - I asked about scholarships available to me during my interview but they said there were none... yet I was offered a bit in my acceptance email! I'm wondering if there's a way I could ask for... well, I don't think I can put it delicately so I'll just say it - more. But asking after being offered seems improper somehow. Wondering what you think/how to go about this situation?

Do you know any international students that are getting help through some scholarships/grants? Thank you in advance!

Late to the party, but I attend LMU and also applied to BU. BU offers a very substantial amount of financial aid. Outside of my housing expenses and books, the program itself would've been nearly free. I believe they automatically consider you for scholarships too with their general application which is nice. LMU is also pretty responsive if you approach your program department head! I asked as the deadline approached and Karol was great about making things work. You also reapply at LMU every year for scholarships and you typically get more as you move up in the program (so long as you're still in good standing.) Hope that helps some.

I may have missed something but what is BU?

For those LMU scholarships... do you happen to know the average amount people received? I was offered a scholarship in my letter, but I wondered if I could pursue more? I need as much assistance as I can get and it sounds like it's a good idea to ask them either way, but just curious how much they could even offer a person.

Thank you in advance!

For those LMU scholarships... do you happen to know the average amount people received? I was offered a scholarship in my letter, but I wondered if I could pursue more? I need as much assistance as I can get and it sounds like it's a good idea to ask them either way, but just curious how much they could even offer a person.

Thank you in advance!

Where was the scholarship offered? Email, portal, snail mail? I feel like I'm missing something because I was never even given a deadline to put down a deposit or any info except congratulations.

Where was the scholarship offered? Email, portal, snail mail? I feel like I'm missing something because I was never even given a deadline to put down a deposit or any info except congratulations.
I received it via snail mail. In the status update/notification I initially got of my acceptance in the application portal it said "Your formal letter will be sent via regular mail within a few days." I also received an email that same day telling me how to register/log into MyLMU.

In the official letter that arrived sometime over the weekend (I was out of town) was a longer congratulatory letter telling me again about the MyLMU web portal and letting me know that I need to send $500.00 by March 20th, a separate letter notifying me of a scholarship offer that I need to accept that by the 20th as well, and a letter about graduate housing (this one was basically the same info they have on the website).

I received it via snail mail. In the status update/notification I initially got of my acceptance in the application portal it said "Your formal letter will be sent via regular mail within a few days." I also received an email that same day telling me how to register/log into MyLMU.

In the official letter that arrived sometime over the weekend (I was out of town) was a longer congratulatory letter telling me again about the MyLMU web portal and letting me know that I need to send $500.00 by March 20th, a separate letter notifying me of a scholarship offer that I need to accept that by the 20th as well, and a letter about graduate housing (this one was basically the same info they have on the website).
Thanks! I haven't recieved the snail mail yet so that must be why. I'm going to check again today. :)

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Not sure if you're international too but oooh I need halp how do I ask if more scholarships are possible?

And I'm out of the continent until the 20th anyway. I sent them an email as I cant call internationally right now (sent friday night) but I haven't received anything back.

Did you get into contact with them at all?

I'm in the exact same boat as you. Not sure if you're international too but oooh I need halp how do I ask if more scholarships are possible?

And I'm out of the continent until the 20th anyway. I sent them an email as I cant call internationally right now (sent friday night) but I haven't received anything back.

Did you get into contact with them at all?
I'm not international but I haven't had a chance to try to contact them yet. I was going to see if I could talk to somebody this week or when I go down there next week (but it would be after the March 20th deadline if I wait until I'm down there). I'll let you know if I'm able to get some info from them this week!

I'm not international but I haven't had a chance to try to contact them yet. I was going to see if I could talk to somebody this week or when I go down there next week (but it would be after the March 20th deadline if I wait until I'm down there). I'll let you know if I'm able to get some info from them this week!
Thank you! I got a response and it was just.. perhaps contact the graduate admissions and see if they can help D:

Thank you! I got a response and it was just.. perhaps contact the graduate admissions and see if they can help D:
Hey, so I spoke with Jenny Vasquez yesterday and she said all of the funding the School of Film and Television had has been offered to people, but if they get more funding (my guess is from anyone who declined the spot/scholarship) they will most likely make that available. They would have to decide how that additional funding would be allocated.. but she said it would likely either be through an application made open to everyone, OR they may choose to take note of who asked for additional funding and distribute it amongst those individuals.

So, even though nothing is available right now, it sounds like it's a good idea that we asked!

Also, in terms of other financial aid through the school it sounded like once you commit and send your deposit they will see what can be offered to you regarding your FAFSA and there may be loan and work study opportunities offered.

Hey, so I spoke with Jenny Vasquez yesterday and she said all of the funding the School of Film and Television had has been offered to people, but if they get more funding (my guess is from anyone who declined the spot/scholarship) they will most likely make that available. They would have to decide how that additional funding would be allocated.. but she said it would likely either be through an application made open to everyone, OR they may choose to take note of who asked for additional funding and distribute it amongst those individuals.

So, even though nothing is available right now, it sounds like it's a good idea that we asked!

Also, in terms of other financial aid through the school it sounded like once you commit and send your deposit they will see what can be offered to you regarding your FAFSA and there may be loan and work study opportunities offered.
Thanks for the information! But I'm international and not eligible for financial aid.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back