School Suggestion (1 Viewer)

juny3847

Hey everyone!
First off, my apologies if this post is redundant and many thanks for any advice offered. I'm getting ready for a five-week film intensive offered by the International Film Institute at Sarah Lawrence College in July and am super excited. I'm planning on applying to graduate programs (or maybe I should just go for another undergraduate degree?) in film right after the program and I was wondering if anyone has some suggestions.

I'm pretty nervous because I have NO formal experience in film (my undergraduate degree is in Religion).

Ideally, I want to write and direct what I write. My writing is very visual in that a good dose of the meaning relies on an image itself, rather than dialogue or conflict. My writing also tends to place a big emphasis on the natural world. I write a lot about family, love, death, and the potential for release. My writing is very much connected to my practices of the heart (i.e. spiritual practice, but wanting to avoid much of what may be associated with spiritual practice). I'd like to enter a program that respects the process of writing as a sacred or natural process, rather than a step-by-step creation according to necessary elements of story (not to say one approach is better than the other). I want to learn how to put on screen the very specific images that arise in my mind (on a good day at least) when I sit to write. I don't know if this sounds strange, but I'm hoping to enter an environment which sees creative expression as an unforced process of discovery. I hope these hopes have some relevance in looking for a school! I live in the east coast of the states, and would prefer to stay here (I'm in love with a lady in the region!), but am definitely willing to go anywhere if that is my only option.

Any suggestions? Thanks a whole lot!
Arjuna

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
Film Program
Course
PROD 550
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Horror
Duration/Running Time
6:01
Film Completion
May 1, 2019
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications