SCREENWRITING GAME 01 - Nick & Sally

Chris W

The night was sultry...
Staff member
People have been asking what to do now that their applications are submitted... how about a screenwriting game?

I'll start one here... feel free to start some others so we can get a bunch going. It's a chain story game... so someone starts it... another person adds on... etc...

Below is the first attempt at a screenplay that I've written in 17 years probably. I'm "reading" The Undead by R.R. Haywood on Audible right now so I'm a little inspired by that. Have fun. (if this type of story isn't your style please start another one too) I hope people enjoy this.

(You can format the text with the "A" above to make it Time New Roman)

FADE IN:

EXT. ROCKY BEACH - NEAR DUSK

NICK sits on a large rock on the rocky beach. His hair is disheveled. Blood drips down his cheek. A bloody axe lays on the beach below him as waves crash gently on his feet.

NICK looks out to the sea.

NICK
Did you get him?
SALLY walks up the beach towards NICK from behind. Another axe dangling limply from her right arm. She too is in bad shape, covered in blood.

SALLY
Yes. Another one came too. But I took care of them.

NICK
Were you bit?

SALLY
I wouldn't be here if I was.
NICK turns around. The sun silhouettes SALLY as her hair blows around in the wind. Even covered in blood, she's beautiful.

NICK
No, you're right. You wouldn't.
CUT TO BLACK.

TITLE: THREE DAYS EARLIER

Sorry this is pretty bad. I've been writing all day and have no more brain power left to function. This is a great idea though and I look forward to seeing the continuation!

INT. LABORATORY - DAY

The laboratory is clean. Too clean and clearly sterile. The light is HARSH and there is a faint buzzing noise in the distance.

Standing in the foreground is SALLY BARNES (40). Carefully, she lifts a pipette just above a petri dish and-
Two quick THUDS come from the gallery above here.

She looks to see her daughter, LIZ (9), waving from above. Next to Liz at the controls stands NICK.
A VOICE booms on the loudspeaker.

NICK
Sally, your daughter is here.
Sally gingerly places the pipette down and waves back. On her lapel is a tiny speaker.

SALLY
I didn’t notice.
Liz pushes Nick aside and jumps to the microphone.

LIZ
(shouting)
Mummy, mummy! I’m here!
There’s a deafening SCREECH and the SCIENTISTS and ASSISTANTS in the laboratory FLINCH in surprise.

SALLY
I’m so happy that you’re here, honey!
Can you just give me five more minutes?
The smile quickly fades from Liz’s face. She turns in a huff and stalks off. Sally mouths a sorry to Nick, who must flee after Liz.

ANNA (30), Sally’s assistant, gives her a reassuring smile.

ANNA
She seems quite the energetic one.​
SALLY
She does, doesn’t she...

INT. Apartment - Night

At ANNA's wretchedly cramped apartment she watches "Night of The Living Dead" with Liz. They are having a sleepover and all of the building's windows are exposed--Liz and Anna's breath is visible; they look purple from the cold.

ANNA​
Can you try cover your mouth the next time you sneeze into the soup? This wasn't cheap... I'm not on salary like your mother. I don't know why she would ask me to take you home with me. I don't get paid enough for this.

LIZ​
On salad like mummy?

ANNA​
I said, "Salary."
(to herself)
Stupid kid...

LIZ​
Where's mummy?! I'm so cold. Please close the windows miss Anna.
Anna walks to the window closest the T.V. and as she lowers the window the television signal cuts out.

ANNA​
Nope. Not gonna work. Unless you want to hold your arms like the TV antenna.

LIZ​
I don't want to watch this stupid movie anymore. I want to go home. I miss my dog. Please take me back, Anna?
Anna unexpectedly runs across the room like a rabid animal and violently snatches Liz from the living room sofa. Soup spills across the furniture. Anna brings her to the window and forces the upper half of Liz's body outside the window--holding her arms in the position of TV antennas.

LIZ​

MUMMY HELP!

ANNA​
You spoiled little brat! Always messing around the Lab! Always want it your way! Now you come to my house and think you can have it your way?!
Liz screams and tries biting Anna's hands.

ANNA​
Have you ever dreamt of flying?
(beat)
I used to always dream of flying when I was your age.
Anna tilts Liz over the frame of the window exposing her to the city traffic below.

LIZ​
(crying)​
Anna, please! I will promise to be good and watch the movie! Please, Anna!
A KNOCK on the door. Anna and Liz FREEZE. The TV's distortion transitions from "Night of The Living Dead" to a cinematic video of Nick and Sally on the beach. Nick sits atop of rocks and smokes a cigarette as Sally hacks away at bodies in the foreground. CREDITS ROLL within the video. Liz cries in terror--Anna releases Liz as the video shocks her as well. Another KNOCK at the door.

Last edited:
INT. DILAPIDATED ROOM - MORNING

Liz jolts up in bed, wide eyed and breathing hard.

She looks across her makeshift room, the wall in front of her gone and offering a view of the LABORATORY, where Anna HAMMERS on a table. KNOCK, KNOCK.

Anna lifts up a wide sword blade then, as if feeling the stare, glances back at Liz. A frightened cry escapes the little girl.

Nick walks over to his daughter and sits on the bed next to her.

NICK
What's the matter, munchkin?

LIZ
(whispers)
She's after me.
Liz stares ahead and Nick follows her gaze to Anna, who's gone back to hammering the blade, oblivious. Nick sighs, worried. It's not the first time he's heard this.

He turns to his daughter and clasps her shoulder without saying anything, then gets up and goes back to the Laboratory.

Liz watches him walk up to Sally, who's looming over a table, holding a pipette over a SYRINGE. They talk in hushed voices. Sally glances back at her daughter as she puts a cap over the needle. She looks so ... disappointed.

Liz grits her teeth, hurt.

NICK (O.S.)
Are you sure that's a good idea?
Liz looks up to see her mother walking up to her.

SALLY
You ready?
Off Liz's tense look.

INT. SUV - MOMENTS LATER

The hammered sword blade bounces on Liz' lap as she looks out at the rocky beach. On her left, Anna looks out the window, lost in thought.

Liz looks ahead to her parents, Nick driving and Sally in the passenger seat.

NICK
You sure it's just that one?

SALLY
I'm sure.
Sally looks over at Nick tenderly then caresses his cheek.

NICK
What?

SALLY
Nothing, I just ... You're beautiful.
Nick offers her a bashful but tender grin.

Liz wrinkles her nose in disgust. Groooooss.

ANNA
That's it right there.
Liz follows her gaze to the beach, where a zombie with no legs and one arm drags itself across the wet rocks.

ANNA
(to Liz)
Think you can handle that?
Liz looks out tensely and grasps the handle of her sword ...

Last edited:
Bumping this old thread.... Anyone want to create a new one to pass the time?

Should be fun. :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back