1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

Seeking advice RE: Graduate vs Undergraduate

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Adam Johnson, May 16, 2018.

1. Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    So I'm beginning to think a lot more again about Grad School, either screenwriting or producing, but my Undergrad degree is in photography (not my real passion, big mistake).

I'll be 35-ish around the time I'd start a grad program, been writing for about 20 years, done my 10,000 hours, gotten to that point where the writing might actually be kinda good(?).

Anyway, if my samples and my essay are top-notch, what are my odds of getting into a grad program like USC or UCLA or UTAustin, etc? And, if the odds are not so good, would going back into undergrad and finishing up a 2nd bachelors in Film help my chances?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Chris W

Chris W Get Busy Living Staff Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +334
    If your samples are good if say your chances are good enough.

Definitely don't get another bachelors just to get a film degree. If you wanted to be a doctor or lawyer maybe but not for film. To be good in film you just need to be good in storytelling... And it sounds like you're on the right track for that.

Besides a photography bachelors is pretty close to film.... At least to the cinematography aspect.

3. Adam Johnson

Adam Johnson New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Looks like I'm enrolled in Undergrad again for this fall. My intention is to make a couple films, learn some things I've needed to learn, and get me some letters of recommendation, all to put toward my MFA applications in the winter.