Studying Film at UCSD vs. UCI?

JGonzales2023

Hello. I am very interested in going into the field of film production, and I applied to several film schools. I narrowed my choices down to UCSD's "Visual Arts-Media" program and UCI's "Film and Media Studies". The problem I am currently facing is that I can not really make up my mind on a decision. UCSD actually has a film production program (which is nice), but UCI is actually close enough to industry (it's actually possible to make a daily commute to the Valley). I will add though, that I have more GE Requirements at UCI (although it is about $10,000 less per year). I will probably transfer later on, so I guess this would just be a temporary solution. I'm leaning towards UCI because I could have more opportunities to attend festivals, have internships, etc., but what do you all think?

Something to consider to is the type of programs that are offered. From what i understand UCI is more focused on media studies. You’d be doing more research type things than actual film production.

I’m not sure what UCSD’s program looks like.

Hello. I am very interested in going into the field of film production, and I applied to several film schools. I narrowed my choices down to UCSD's "Visual Arts-Media" program and UCI's "Film and Media Studies". The problem I am currently facing is that I can not really make up my mind on a decision. UCSD actually has a film production program (which is nice), but UCI is actually close enough to industry (it's actually possible to make a daily commute to the Valley). I will add though, that I have more GE Requirements at UCI (although it is about $10,000 less per year). I will probably transfer later on, so I guess this would just be a temporary solution. I'm leaning towards UCI because I could have more opportunities to attend festivals, have internships, etc., but what do you all think?
Hi @JGonzales2023 are you pretty set on those two schools? Just to be clear, would you be commuting to Irvine from the valley, or the other way around? I don't know much about either program however I can certainly recommend other state schools in the area (ex. CSUN, if you're already planning to commute from the valley, has a great undergraduate program with modern production equipment and facilities).

I would only advise caution if you're trying to attain a film production education and not a film studies one, as UCI and UCSD aren't notable for production (I'm not sure UCI offers more than a film studies program). People do major in film studies even if production is their intended route, so if you are thinking of going to UCI for film studies it might be possible to take up an internship or part-time job in the city if the commute is realistic for you.

yisiling

If you are considering transferring, I highly recommend Santa Monica College. They have a great film program where you get to shoot a thesis film at the end of 2 years. Their film has been doing well at festivals too. They have been getting into Cannes for at least 4 times now.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews