Suffering from Indecision

Which one would you choose?

• Total voters

yasminxakh

What's up fellas. I am at a loss for where to go.
I've gained acceptance to 8 schools (American University, Boston University, DePaul, Emerson, Fordham, Syracuse, George Mason & VCU (both are in-state schools)
I narrowed down my list to 3: American, Emerson, and Syracuse, although insight into all schools are welcome.
In my gut I feel Emerson but I also want to make a well-rounded decision, so I'll do a pro and con list for each.

About me:
GPA: 3.9 (came from very academically rigorous family)
Interested in writing, producing, and directing both narrative and documentary films.
I prefer smaller class sizes and I'm not into party life.

American:
Pro: great academics, close to home, has a very strong documentary program
Con: I don't know much about the narrative program but it's never listed in the top 25 film schools so I'm weary of it. Also doesn't have many known alumni.

Emerson:
Pro: great film program, great campus, smaller classes/community feeling, alumni network, gave me $18,000 scholarship (price isn't an issue for the other schools though, it's more of a perk)
Con: Apparently the academics are either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard. Also, please don't assume I'm an asshole for this, but I feel like it's excessively liberal. I will probably experience that at every college, however.

Syracuse:
Pro: great film program & great academics, lots of school pride meaning strong alumni network
Con: I'm not a party person and I'm scared of being left out. Also the campus is MEGA huge and I hate walking long distances outside (gives me a migraine)

Please throw any insight my way, I'd appreciate it a lot!!! :)

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
Well I went to BU and enjoyed it... However I graduated 20 years ago so it's probably quite different than it was then.

I know a lot of people who went to Emerson and loved it. It sounds like you're getting good scholarship money there which is key. You want to be in as little debt as possible.

I'm not very familiar with Syracuse or American unfortunately.

So with what I know my vote is for Emerson. Boston is an amazing town too. I miss it.

Last edited:

Operator

I've gained acceptance to 8 schools (American University, Boston University, DePaul, Emerson, Fordham, Syracuse, George Mason & VCU (both are in-state schools)
I narrowed down my list to 3: American, Emerson, and Syracuse, although insight into all schools are welcome.
In my gut I feel Emerson but I also want to make a well-rounded decision, so I'll do a pro and con list for each.

About me:
Interested in writing, producing, and directing both narrative and documentary films.

American:
Con: I don't know much about the narrative program but it's never listed in the top 25 film schools so I'm weary of it. Also doesn't have many known alumni.

Emerson:
Pro: great film program, great campus, smaller classes/community feeling, alumni network, gave me $18,000 scholarship (price isn't an issue for the other schools though, it's more of a perk)
Con: Apparently the academics are either ridiculously easy or ridiculously hard. Also, please don't assume I'm an asshole for this, but I feel like it's excessively liberal. I will probably experience that at every college, however.

Syracuse:
Pro: great film program & great academics, lots of school pride meaning strong alumni network
Con: I'm not a party person and I'm scared of being left out. Also the campus is MEGA huge and I hate walking long distances outside (gives me a migraine)

100% do not go to George Mason! I had a friend go there and it's utterly useless. American will give you a well rounded film education if you didn't do your undergrad in film. They focus on documentary, journalism, writing, directing, web design and photography before you get into your electives. But out of your narrowed down choices, I would pick Emerson over American, and both over Syracuse. You might want to relook at DePaul as well....they have an optional LA Quarter instead of staying in Chicago. The head of the screenwriting department told me most students that end up doing that LA option, don't even return to Chicago to attend graduation because they already found a job and can't make it back. They just mail the diploma to them.

seok

Hi there. I'm currently a third year MFA Film student in Transmedia, Syracuse and I can tell you a few things! First of all, the HUGE party scene is mostly for undergrads. I personally haven't partied that much but there are enough going on here in terms of the art scene and various talks around campus/off campus. The campus is actually just the nice size for me! Everything is within 5-8mins walking distance (in comparison to say, Stanford). I live off campus it's just about 20mins walking distance in a nice neighborhood in Wescott area. Rent is relatively cheap if you're sharing. Program is intimate and small. Let me know if you want to talk more! My email is sauyong@syr.edu.

And congrats on all the acceptance!

Seok

irickardow101

About me:

American:

Emerson:

Syracuse:

BU is the way to go! You would love it there!

yasminxakh

Hi there. I'm currently a third year MFA Film student in Transmedia, Syracuse and I can tell you a few things! First of all, the HUGE party scene is mostly for undergrads. I personally haven't partied that much but there are enough going on here in terms of the art scene and various talks around campus/off campus. The campus is actually just the nice size for me! Everything is within 5-8mins walking distance (in comparison to say, Stanford). I live off campus it's just about 20mins walking distance in a nice neighborhood in Wescott area. Rent is relatively cheap if you're sharing. Program is intimate and small. Let me know if you want to talk more! My email is sauyong@syr.edu.

And congrats on all the acceptance!

Seok
BU is the way to go! You would love it there!
Thanks for your replies! Sadly, Syracuse and BU did not give me any scholarships so I have eliminated them from my pool of options.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews