Summer Courses

I am curious to know if anyone has participated in the Film Summer courses at NYU or USC? Are they worth the experience and money? Any information would be really appreciated.

Cinema2020

I took the "Music Video Production" & the "Beginning Screenwriting" courses in 2008 at the USC School of Cinematic Arts Summer Program and had an amazing experience! Not only are the facilities top notch ( I was just in L.A. and saw the new facilities they built- WOW!) but the faculty were incredible and I learned so much. Not only did i work on my own class projects but i was able to collaborate on other projects going on in the program and learn even more! I can't recommend the SCA Summer Program enough! if you didn't make it there this summer try for 2010!

Jayimess

The same faculty that teach during the school year teach several of the USC summer courses. The school is yours: there are very few cinema classes during the summer, so you don't have to deal with the degree program students or fight them for equipment. They provide a lot more than they do for degree programs, too, i.e. tapestock.

I can't speak to NYU, but I imagine it's of similar quality, and I have mostly heard great things about the extension programs at UCLA as well. (please don't ask me for specifics, though! ;) )

I know people that have gotten into programs at USC, UCLA, and AFI after taking summer/extension classes. I don't know anyone who's out there getting paid or whatever you measure success by, but that doesn't mean they don't exist...I'm not around campus in summer to meet them.

I have no idea how much they cost, though. If you have the money and you think you can do better for the cost, than go for it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• SUNY Purchase - Playwriting & Screenwriting BA
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent Quality Program
    I want to start off by mentioning that I came to Purchase as a transfer student from another liberal arts college and screenwriting program. This...
    • AlcB
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Art + Science (B.A. & B.F.A.)
    3.00 star(s)
    Good undergrad craft school
    I'd like to preface this by saying I graduated a while ago. It's possible that the school has changed significantly since then so take what I say...
    • Anonymous
  • American University - School of Communication (B.A.)
    1.00 star(s)
    Very Unhappy with the Film Program
    I apologize for the very long post, but I have a lot of things to say about the Film and Media Arts department at AU. I am EXTREMELY unhappy...
    • Anonymous
  • LMU - Film & Television Production (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Excellent choice for a well-rounded film education experience
    LMU's Film and Television Production MFA program is a great choice for students who want a well-rounded film education. You are able to make both...
    • A248
  • USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    2.00 star(s)
    Great Marketing, Subpar Reality
    I'm writing this review because there wasn't a lot of clear info when I was applying so I hope that this can offer some clarification beyond the...
    • Anonymous