1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered. (It's free!)

Super Anxious about AFI application

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by FRS, Nov 28, 2017.

1. FRS

FRS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm extremely anxious about my application to AFI. I've already sent it awhile ago, but I feel like I am at a huge disadvantage. I'm definitely an...unconventional applicant.

My age is 22, and I'm from the East Coast. I have been writing all my life (since age 3), and used to have about 9 books published from the time I was 17 to the time I was 21. I didn't make any money, because I'd set them as free all the time, and I'm not sure of how many people read them. I probably got maybe 20,000 downloads in all.

I graduated from high school with a 4.0 GPA in '14 from a private school. However, my mental health was suffering at the time and my parents have consistently refused to let me have any college education that is not a program of their choice at the community college across the street from my house. I have Asperger's and my parents seem to think I am incapable of even leaving the front door by myself, which is not true.

I have a few college credits, 2 from AP history classes in high school, a couple I took online, and I plan on taking a film class and English at the CC this winter, but the school itself doesn't offer anything in my field that I could even major in.

When I applied, I selected "certificate of completion" because I don't have a Bachelor's degree. I was told on the phone that it is okay not to have one but that people who don't get the COC instead of an MFA. I was also told that if accepted I might be able to take out a loan or get aid without my parents' signature or approval because it is considered a graduate program. I do get SSI right now in MA for my Asperger's and in CA the amount is twice as much and I could get subsidized housing in LA for 30% of that income.

I haven't applied to AFI before--but was accepted to two mid-level screenwriting programs 5 years ago with my very first script. I'm probably on script 4 or 5 now since then, and I do feel like my writing sample is strong, and that my voice has matured quite a bit. I've written just about everything under the sun, but screenplays, and particularly teleplays, are by far my strong suit. I did select screenwriting as my program of choice for Fall 2018.

Honestly, is not having a previous bachelor's degree a huge disadvantage despite the claims on AFI's site? If I did get to go, and completed the coursework, then did the time for a BFA somewhere else once I'm 24 (the legal age where I won't have to claim my parents' income/assets), would the school be able to somehow change my status from a certificate to an MFA if the work had already been completed?

2. Xylo

Xylo New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi FRS,

When I did the campus tour, there was a high school grad with a similar question. I believe if you have experience to back it up, the certificate would be fine. However, I doubt they will change your certificate to an MFA after the fact. You will find a better answer directly through the admissions office. Best of luck!