Teaching after MFA

Hey Everyone,

I had a quick question and didn't know if any of you had any insight on the matter.

I would love to be able to teach film at the collegiate level and was wondering if you guys had any idea how much the school you obtained your mfa from matters when wanting to be a teacher?

I imagine if i was looking at two applicants and one went to USC and the other one went to an unranked school I'd choose the applicant from USC. However, If the unranked school costs a lot less I wonder if it would be worth it.

Cdemon

Hey Everyone,

I had a quick question and didn't know if any of you had any insight on the matter.

I would love to be able to teach film at the collegiate level and was wondering if you guys had any idea how much the school you obtained your mfa from matters when wanting to be a teacher?

I imagine if i was looking at two applicants and one went to USC and the other one went to an unranked school I'd choose the applicant from USC. However, If the unranked school costs a lot less I wonder if it would be worth it.
Hi! I have a friend that teaches and he says that for the majority of schools it doesn’t matter. In general, they care more about your professional experience, and any previous teaching experience. That said, he says if you’re applying at an Ivy League or similarly ranked school to teach, they may look at that more than most schools.

Best of luck- he’s done just fine and I didn’t know either of the schools he went to.

Hi! I have a friend that teaches and he says that for the majority of schools it doesn’t matter. In general, they care more about your professional experience, and any previous teaching experience. That said, he says if you’re applying at an Ivy League or similarly ranked school to teach, they may look at that more than most schools.

Best of luck- he’s done just fine and I didn’t know either of the schools he went to.
Thank you for the reply.

I mostly want an MFA to teach, and I see that CSUF offers one pretty cheap, but I've also heard it isn't the best school, and would rather pay money for an MFA that means something than pay less for one that will keep me out of the classroom if it's on my resume.

Cdemon

Thank you for the reply.

I mostly want an MFA to teach, and I see that CSUF offers one pretty cheap, but I've also heard it isn't the best school, and would rather pay money for an MFA that means something than pay less for one that will keep me out of the classroom if it's on my resume.
Hm. I can ask about that one specifically though he may not have any insider info. CSUN has a pretty affordable program and that one is building a name for itself as a film school and I don’t think it would hurt you as a teacher. I’d say still apply for all the big ones too- you may get a full ride or something and then why not!?

Thank you for the reply.

I went to CSUF as an undergrad. For the MFA program it’s only for screenwriting. The professors are amazing though and most of them are still working and have writing credits you’ll recognize. Most of them also earned their masters at top film schools (like USC).

I know part of the MFA programs involve a class on teaching. And they have to create a lecture and teach it to an undergrad class.

Admittedly it’s not a well-known school within the industry but it does provide an amazing education.

I went to CSUF as an undergrad. For the MFA program it’s only for screenwriting. The professors are amazing though and most of them are still working and have writing credits you’ll recognize. Most of them also earned their masters at top film schools (like USC).

I know part of the MFA programs involve a class on teaching. And they have to create a lecture and teach it to an undergrad class.

Admittedly it’s not a well-known school within the industry but it does provide an amazing education.
That's really promising! Thank you. :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews