Film & TV Discussions The Queen's Gambit (WARNING this one with spoilers) (1 Viewer)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Ok. This is a spoiler zone. Go to the non spoiler discussion if you don't want to be ruined.

Onto the spoils...

Curious to see how others feel about the last half of the last episode, but will withhold my own opinions for now!

The second to last part of the 6th episode pissed me off at her because of course it was the part of the arc where the character hits their bottom. Still was mad at her for the self inflicted wounds though. But I never suspected her friend showing up at the door so that's good.

The last episode's second half? The Townes guy coming back was fine but the apology was weird. He was gay but not really gay? That's what it seemed like. I don't know. Can't say I really understand what happened there. Regardless they should have left the apology out because that buttoned that storyline up that didn't need to be buttoned. I like that it was ambiguous but apparently still is because I have no idea what happened. 🤣

I do REALLY like the end of the film with her going to the park and finding her Russian Mr. Shaibel counterpart. The Shaibel Spirit Animal.

Also the first episode was pretty trippy and it wasn't really too apparent what the series would be like until the middle of the second.

I thought the relationship with her adopted mother was great too.

I'll stop rambling now. 🤣

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
The last episode's second half? The Townes guy coming back was fine but the apology was weird. He was gay but not really gay? That's what it seemed like. I don't know. Can't say I really understand what happened there. Regardless they should have left the apology out because that buttoned that storyline up that didn't need to be buttoned. I like that it was ambiguous but apparently still is because I have no idea what happened. 🤣
Yeah I think what confused me was that in the episode in the hotel room taking photos it seemed to me that she imagined that there was sexual energy there but there really wasn't and he was gay. And the scene was from her point of view and her interpretation of events.

His apology confuses me because then wait... Is he bi? Or not gay? Was he into her and he didn't want to be with his boyfriend? Anyways. That was a strange beat to me but maybe I'm an idiot who doesn't get it. Ha.

llueve

Supporter
Yeah I think what confused me was that in the episode in the hotel room taking photos it seemed to me that she imagined that there was sexual energy there but there really wasn't and he was gay. And the scene was from her point of view and her interpretation of events.

His apology confuses me because then wait... Is he bi? Or not gay? Was he into her and he didn't want to be with his boyfriend? Anyways. That was a strange beat to me but maybe I'm an idiot who doesn't get it. Ha.
No I agree, the apology was confusing and not a great beat. Townes showing up in Russia? Farfetched. Could have forgiven it, but the scene right after where they're sitting like gal pals--it felt dissonant, it felt like it skipped all the actual work that goes into re-structuring a friendship. I think the body language and blocking in that scene was off and it was truncated. I think a conversation where the character is like, 'Look, I am gay, I wish I had told you, but also I guess I was having some confusing feelings about you even though you're a woman, but then I realized I had a friend crush on you not a crush-crush' -- totally down with that story line! Would love to see the complexities of human attraction discussed on TV. But I don't think they hit the mark here, and looks like I'm not alone.

I like the very end, her sitting with a new Scheibel.
What I did not like was the RAH RAH WE ARE YR BOYS FAN CLUB moment at the end where Benny and Beltik and the twins are all in NYC together? It was juuuuust a little too unlikely for me, and the score was juuuuust a little too uplifting, and the cut-aways to Townes during the game were juuuust a little meh.

What I mean is: I felt like there was a strong tonal shift in that last half of last ep, where we went into firm Hollywood territory -- story, score, character, all of it. And I guess I was disappointed. I had liked the tone up to this point more.

Agree I love the relationship with her adoptive mom. It's interesting and complex and unique and Merielle Heller isn't only a great director, she's a great actor too?? I didn't know! Very impressed.

Also, the woman who played Jolene, really liked her, unique vocal quality. Did NOT expect her to show up at the house, so loved being caught off guard by the director.

Okay no myyyy rant/rave is over hahaha

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021
Colella612
Updated
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications