Smeist

Hi everyone! I’m just getting into the research of grad programs & applications for film schools. If all of my dreams were to come true, I’d be in the M.A cinema studies program at Tisch starting spring 2022. I know that learning more about film & screenwriting is the only way I’ll be able to do what I want in life. However, I’m not sure if that’s even a possibility. I went to Indiana university undergrad and graduated 2020 with a 3.0 in media studies. I have very little experience (actually no experience) in creating film or scripts. I do have many writing samples though. Does anyone have any advice on where I should start? Or how I should be using my time between now and the 2022 application deadline? Definitely looking to stay on the east coast. If I can get into Tisch I will die of happiness (oh, also have a lot of dramatic writing samples). Any feedback anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Hi everyone! I’m just getting into the research of grad programs & applications for film schools. If all of my dreams were to come true, I’d be in the M.A cinema studies program at Tisch starting spring 2022. I know that learning more about film & screenwriting is the only way I’ll be able to do what I want in life. However, I’m not sure if that’s even a possibility. I went to Indiana university undergrad and graduated 2020 with a 3.0 in media studies. I have very little experience (actually no experience) in creating film or scripts. I do have many writing samples though. Does anyone have any advice on where I should start? Or how I should be using my time between now and the 2022 application deadline? Definitely looking to stay on the east coast. If I can get into Tisch I will die of happiness (oh, also have a lot of dramatic writing samples). Any feedback anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.
Question: do you want to teach or do you want to write? An MA in cinema studies is typically for students going into academia. However, if you want to write, maybe consider applying to NYU's Dramatic Writing program. There's also the MFA in Film if you want to make films. It really depends what you want to do. As for experience, you don't necessarily need film experience, but it certainly helps. Assuming you want to write (as in screenwriting), and stay on the east coast, check out Columbia (MFA in directing/screenwriting), Emerson (Low-Residency program), Boston University, North Carolina, or FSU. Perhaps take some online writing classes in screenwriting. Anyway, hope this helps.

Smeist

Question: do you want to teach or do you want to write? An MA in cinema studies is typically for students going into academia. However, if you want to write, maybe consider applying to NYU's Dramatic Writing program. There's also the MFA in Film if you want to make films. It really depends what you want to do. As for experience, you don't necessarily need film experience, but it certainly helps. Assuming you want to write (as in screenwriting), and stay on the east coast, check out Columbia (MFA in directing/screenwriting), Emerson (Low-Residency program), Boston University, North Carolina, or FSU. Perhaps take some online writing classes in screenwriting. Anyway, hope this helps.
Ideally, I’d like to write and possibly act ... I studied media in undergrad and have very little knowledge of film, genre, and structure. Is there a program you could think of that would allow me to learn about cinematic influences as well as screenwriting and scriptwriting? I can take outside / elective acting classes if I want to... I don’t feel it’s necessary to apply to a performance arts program. I’m currently taking a memoir class at Gotham writers and it’s been very helpful for my personal statement (which I’m assuming I’ll inevitably need for any program I apply to)

Abbey Normal

Supporter+
Regarding your question on programs that offers classes in screenwriting, see below:

Script Anatomy is great! Courses offered include: TV Writing, Features, and one-on-one workshops/consults.

Jen Grisanti is great, too. She does the NBC Writers on the Verge fellowships for TV Writers. If TV Writing is something you're interested in, Jen usually has an in-depth 8-week course that includes breaking down TV shows and understanding how successful TV shows works, which you can then apply to your own writing. She has a free 3 video lecture series coming up, which you can sign up for.

Not sure if you're into comedy, but I feel like some of the best writers are writer/performers. Perhaps try sketch comedy? If so, check out the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, Second City, The Groundlings, or The Pack Theater. All these programs have had folks that have gone off to SNL and done great things in the world of comedy. (FYI - these programs also offer "diversity scholarships" which I've been fortunate enough to receive. Can't be free classes, right? haha).

UCLA Extension offers tons of online writing classes. Definitely check that out.

There's also the UCLA Professional Program for TV Writing or Feature writing. It's a year long program (non-degree) where you get to learn about the business side of the entertainment industry and also come out of the program with a writing portfolio. This is available online, but you have to submit a writing sample to be accepted. It's not as competitive as their MFA program, but it's also significantly cheaper (roughly $5,000 for the year), which in the grand scheme of things is not bad.

Re: Gotham Writers workshop - I've heard great things about this program. A memoir class sounds fun!

Smeist

Regarding your question on programs that offers classes in screenwriting, see below:

Script Anatomy is great! Courses offered include: TV Writing, Features, and one-on-one workshops/consults.

Jen Grisanti is great, too. She does the NBC Writers on the Verge fellowships for TV Writers. If TV Writing is something you're interested in, Jen usually has an in-depth 8-week course that includes breaking down TV shows and understanding how successful TV shows works, which you can then apply to your own writing. She has a free 3 video lecture series coming up, which you can sign up for.

Not sure if you're into comedy, but I feel like some of the best writers are writer/performers. Perhaps try sketch comedy? If so, check out the Upright Citizens Brigade Theatre, Second City, The Groundlings, or The Pack Theater. All these programs have had folks that have gone off to SNL and done great things in the world of comedy. (FYI - these programs also offer "diversity scholarships" which I've been fortunate enough to receive. Can't be free classes, right? haha).

UCLA Extension offers tons of online writing classes. Definitely check that out.

There's also the UCLA Professional Program for TV Writing or Feature writing. It's a year long program (non-degree) where you get to learn about the business side of the entertainment industry and also come out of the program with a writing portfolio. This is available online, but you have to submit a writing sample to be accepted. It's not as competitive as their MFA program, but it's also significantly cheaper (roughly $5,000 for the year), which in the grand scheme of things is not bad.

Re: Gotham Writers workshop - I've heard great things about this program. A memoir class sounds fun!
Wow this was SO helpful - thank you!!!

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

Colella612
3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
Views
Reaction score
Reviews
Questions
After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
Film Program
Loyola Marymount University
Course
Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Drama
Duration/Running Time
5:58
Film Completion
May 3, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
Film Program
Course
PROD 670
Film Type
Thesis Film
Genre
Documentary
Duration/Running Time
17:31
Film Completion
May 1, 2021
A248
Views
Reaction score
In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
Film Program
Course
PROD 685
Film Type
Assignment
Genre
Comedy
Duration/Running Time
1:24
Film Completion
Aug 1, 2020

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications