Transferring from UNCSA?

So I've just finished my second year at UNCSA and was accepted into the screenwriting program for next year. I think UNCSA is a good school, but to me the screenwriting classes haven't really taught me anything beyond basic story structure. While I've learned a lot about film, I can't help but feel like I'm lacking in some areas. I love political science, history, and law- and found that there aren't a lot of avenues for me to learn about them since UNCSA is an arts conservatory. I feel bad because I know I also love screenwriting, but I feel like the stories we tell here are forced for the sake of quantity and not quality. I'm not really sure I want to spend the next two years pumping out unmotivated scripts for a portfolio. I'm considering withdrawing from the program and transferring somewhere else to double major in polisci and film. I’ve noticed that the scripts I write that really make an impact on people are always written when I’m not forcing an idea, and when I’m inspired by something that isn’t a deadline. I still really want to be a screenwriter, but I’m conflicted about whether or not I should stay in UNCSA’s film school. Should I take the risk of studying elsewhere and giving myself more time and experience to write stories that really matter to me? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
You mean should you transfer from UNCSA into a different school? Which one would you be looking to apply to?

If you feel like a political science it history major would interest you then look into it. One can learn Screenwriting anytime and anywhere and those majors will certainly give you ideas and research to base your scripts on.

You can always circle back to a film focused degree in grad school.

You mean should you transfer from UNCSA into a different school? Which one would you be looking to apply to?

If you feel like a political science it history major would interest you then look into it. One can learn Screenwriting anytime and anywhere and those majors will certainly give you ideas and research to base your scripts on.

You can always circle back to a film focused degree in grad school.
Hopefully to UCF or FSU where I can double major or just study political science, and get in-state tuition.

In state tuition good. :) Does uncsa not let you do the film programs until junior year?
We're allowed to make films for the first two years in a general exploration of each discipline (directing, screenwriting, producing, editing, etc.). In the third year we pick a specific discipline, and I got into screenwriting. I've just noticed my writing is better outside of school, when I'm learning or experiencing other things.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications