• THANKSGIVING WEEK LIFETIME SUPPORTING MEMBERSHIP SALE: If you are finding FilmSchool.org helpful, consider becoming or upgrading to a Lifetime Supporting Membership for ONLY $16! (20% off) by entering the coupon code THANKS. Coupon expires Sunday 11/29 at midnight PST.

Transferring from UNCSA?

So I've just finished my second year at UNCSA and was accepted into the screenwriting program for next year. I think UNCSA is a good school, but to me the screenwriting classes haven't really taught me anything beyond basic story structure. While I've learned a lot about film, I can't help but feel like I'm lacking in some areas. I love political science, history, and law- and found that there aren't a lot of avenues for me to learn about them since UNCSA is an arts conservatory. I feel bad because I know I also love screenwriting, but I feel like the stories we tell here are forced for the sake of quantity and not quality. I'm not really sure I want to spend the next two years pumping out unmotivated scripts for a portfolio. I'm considering withdrawing from the program and transferring somewhere else to double major in polisci and film. I’ve noticed that the scripts I write that really make an impact on people are always written when I’m not forcing an idea, and when I’m inspired by something that isn’t a deadline. I still really want to be a screenwriter, but I’m conflicted about whether or not I should stay in UNCSA’s film school. Should I take the risk of studying elsewhere and giving myself more time and experience to write stories that really matter to me? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
You mean should you transfer from UNCSA into a different school? Which one would you be looking to apply to?

If you feel like a political science it history major would interest you then look into it. One can learn Screenwriting anytime and anywhere and those majors will certainly give you ideas and research to base your scripts on.

You can always circle back to a film focused degree in grad school.

You mean should you transfer from UNCSA into a different school? Which one would you be looking to apply to?

If you feel like a political science it history major would interest you then look into it. One can learn Screenwriting anytime and anywhere and those majors will certainly give you ideas and research to base your scripts on.

You can always circle back to a film focused degree in grad school.
Hopefully to UCF or FSU where I can double major or just study political science, and get in-state tuition.

In state tuition good. :) Does uncsa not let you do the film programs until junior year?
We're allowed to make films for the first two years in a general exploration of each discipline (directing, screenwriting, producing, editing, etc.). In the third year we pick a specific discipline, and I got into screenwriting. I've just noticed my writing is better outside of school, when I'm learning or experiencing other things.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Northwestern University - School of Communication
    4.00 star(s)
    Good for film theory, not so much for production
    *Please take this with a grain of salt, as I went to NU over a decade ago. While I was there: Classes in film theory and screenwriting were great...
    • Anonymous
  • Film And Television Institute of India
    4.00 star(s)
    Graduate Certificate, TV Direction
    I was enrolled in the 1-year Direction certificate course in the TV wing in the session 2018-19. Following are the pros and cons that I...
    • ValArya
  • University of Texas at Austin - Department of Radio-Television-Film
    4.00 star(s)
    Great film school outside of LA/NYC
    I would say overall UT's film school is a great choice! It is rated #11 on THR's Top Film School List in the U.S. Sure it's nowhere near LA or NY...
    • Anonymous
  • Columbia College Chicago - Cinema Directing (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    a great decision
    Columbia College Chicago is not only one of America's best film schools it is also one of the most affordable. The program is advertised as 2...
    • Jcromwell
  • Fitchburg State University
    4.00 star(s)
    Okay School, especially for the price
    Came in as both a transfer and commuter, so my experience was really lessened by that fact. Your time and success here is really up to you...
    • Anonymous