UCLA Animation Workshop MFA 2012

Ben Haist

Hey y'all!

Anyone else out there apply for the UCLA Animation Workshop this year? I've found threads in years past, but no threads for this year as of yet - thought I'd start one.

Anyone have any idea when we're supposed to hear back/has anyone heard back yet? I just got accepted to SVA's MFA Computer Art program, and am hoping for a response before SVA's April 15th enrollment deadline. On the admission status log-in, it looks like they haven't even started looking at applications yet. From what I've seen, UCLA's responses vary widely (anywhere from late March to early May), so some sort of clarity would be appreciated.

Best of luck to everyone!

I applied!

I'll be putting in my deposit for SVA (MFA Computer Art) if I don't get into UCLA so I really hope we hear soon. I called them mid march and they told me they usually make decisions mid april, sometimes beginning of may. I told her I have a deadline of April 15th for another school and she said she would pass that on to the recommenders. I'm going to be nosy and call again on the 10th if I haven't heard anything. I'm impatient...haha

Good luck to you too!

Makes me feel SO much better knowing someone else is in the same position as me! I'm planning on doing the same, so depending on how UCLA goes, we might be classmates in the fall!

Keep me posted on how things go! On the fence about calling, but with this much deposit money on the line, we're getting into "do-or-die" territory...haha. Hopefully two phone calls will be enough of a nudge.

Just talked to someone in the admissions office at TFT at UCLA - she said they're trying to get decisions out by the 15th, but they're still reviewing the applications. She was really nice about everything and apologized for the situation, so...here's hoping we hear back this week!

And (full disclosure) I spoke with someone from SVA back in January who said that we can still send in deposits for the program after April 15th, and that programs usually don't fill up by then. Tried calling them again today, but got into a long chain of voicemails and transfers.

The song that played while I was on hold was quite the toe tapper, though.

When I visited last spring, they said they receive about 150-200 applications each year. I have a family friend who used to teach in the department, and I'm hoping his recommendation + my storyboard/portfolio is enough to cut it! Yeesh!

Just curious - what's your background? I'm a senior at Tulane studying Studio Art and Digital Media Production (basically Film Production)

Damn, and they only take in around 15 right? At least you have a recommendation from someone that used to work there! That should help a bunch. The storyboard made me nervous, because that's not my strong suit.

Sounds like a cool program you're in! I'm a senior at Penn State, studying interdisciplinary digital studio. Its a new major, so we kind of got to pick and focus on what we wanted to do. I chose to do mainly 3D modeling and animation. I also love traditional drawing though, so I took a lot of classes in visual arts.

None yet...I'm not sending in my deposit to SVA until I have a response from UCLA. Kind of a gamble, but I'm thinking $1000 non-refundable is a bit too much of a gamble for me. Fingers crossed we hear later this week! Found some people who applied back in 2006 on a forum who heard back about acceptances on April 17th!

Ugh I hope we hear this week! I'm dying over here haha. I called SVA and put down my deposit on friday. My parents were pressuring me to because they didn't want me to lose out on the school. I know I would be kicking myself if I didn't get into UCLA and then missed out on SVA

Hey guys! I applied for the fall semester too and I still haven't heard from them either. Seems like they're still making their decisions...ugh the anticipation!

Welcome to the club! I keep playing this video over and over to keep me sane...haha. Where you at, Kyle?

Hoping for a response this week!

Awesome vid. I'm from Virginia I got my undergrad at Virginia Tech studying fine arts, mainly working with 3D animation. I was able to make a pretty decent portfolio over there, hope its good enough!

I figured you guys would post something if you got in, but have either of you heard anything? I'm dying over here. This is my last week of class and its driving me nuts I haven't found anything out!!

Nothing yet...a thread I found from a few years back had people starting to hear back about this time, so hopeful for something this week! Definitely getting nervous at this point...

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back