UCLA MFA Directing/Production Fall 2022 (1 Viewer)

emmk

Supporter
I have emailed UCLA a couple of time and only PS has a 500 word limit; SoP is either 500 words or 2 pages.
View attachment 2645View attachment 2646
so if your SoP is more than 500 words just upload it as a supporting document

it is def organized poorly and it is frustrating that they only confirmed they are taking in new applicants 1 month before the ddl
good luck!
omg :mad: the discrepancy in info continues. i just wasted a chunk of time time shaving down my SoP to 500 words lmao. i'm just laughing at this point! thank you so much for this info though, i really appreciate your sharing the responses you've received from the school. best of luck to everyone!

cheeeese3cake

omg :mad: the discrepancy in info continues. i just wasted a chunk of time time shaving down my SoP to 500 words lmao. i'm just laughing at this point! thank you so much for this info though, i really appreciate your sharing the responses you've received from the school. best of luck to everyone!
No worries! Ikr, it is so frustrating! Hopefully you kept a copy of your original SoP!
5 more days till deadline! Let's do this guys!

cheeeese3cake

Also, does anyone know how to determine that your film is under 10mins? i know in a screenplay format 1mins is roughly equal to 1 page? but how about in a treatment format? or it doesn't matter as long as it is within the 3pages limit?

cheeeese3cake

Also, does anyone know how to determine that your film is under 10mins? i know in a screenplay format 1mins is roughly equal to 1 page? but how about in a treatment format? or it doesn't matter as long as it is within the 3pages limit?
does UCLA admin care if your treatment makes the film seems like it is over 10mins?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BTW I just noticed this on the NYU application requirements page:

Do NOT wait until the last minute to submit your online graduate application and your portfolio in SlideRoom. We strongly recommend that you apply 2 weeks early to avoid technical issues that may arise.

Good advice. So don't delay today.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Out of sight out of mind, just submitted my application :'(
Good luck to everyone else!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Remember everyone to add your application to our database:

UCLA TFT - Production/Directing (M.F.A.) Acceptance Rate
21%
Admitted
26  out of   122   Admitted
9%
Waitlisted
11  out of   122   Waitlisted
70%
Not Admitted
85  out of   122  Not Admitted

Browncapital

Supporter
    It's poorly worded but it's there:

That links to this:

Which reads:

Statement of Purpose​

Your statement of purpose will be used in conjunction with your application for consideration for graduate admission and financial support. Specific requirements (individual majors may have 500, 1,000 or 1,500 word limits; this information is in the application and on the each program’s website) and prompts are listed in the application and include

• What is your purpose in applying for graduate study in your specified degree program? Describe your area(s) of interest, including any subfield(s) or interdisciplinary interests.
    • What experiences have prepared you for advanced study or research in this degree program? What relevant skills have you gained from these experiences? Have your experiences led to specific or tangible outcomes that would support your potential to contribute to this field?
    • What additional information about your past experience may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA?
    • Why is the UCLA graduate program to which you are applying is the best place for you to pursue your academic goals? If you are applying for a research master’s or doctoral program, we encourage you to indicate specific research interests and potential faculty mentors.
    • What are your plans for your career after earning this degree?

Personal Statement​

The Personal Statement is an opportunity for you to provide additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA. It will also be used to consider candidates for the Cota-Robles & GOFP fellowships. To be considered for a Cota-Robles or Graduate Opportunity fellowship, be sure to describe your contributions to diversity. The University of California Diversity Statement can be found online.

Instructions are provided in the application and include a 500 words limit (approximately 1-page, single spaced, using 1-inch margins and 12-point font) as well as these or other prompts:

• Are there educational, personal, cultural, economic, or social experiences, not described in your Statement of Purpose, that have shaped your academic journey? If so, how? Have any of these experiences provided unique perspective(s) that you would contribute to your program, field or profession?
    • Describe challenge(s) or barriers that you have faced in your pursuit of higher education. What motivated you to persist, and how did you overcome them? What is the evidence of your persistence, progress or success?
    • How have your life experiences and educational background informed your understanding of the barriers facing groups that are underrepresented in higher education?
    • How have you been actively engaged (e.g., through participation, employment, service, teaching or other activities) in programs or activities focused on increasing participation by groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education?
    • How do you intend to engage in scholarly discourse, research, teaching, creative efforts, and/or community engagement during your graduate program that have the potential to advance diversity and equal opportunity in higher education?
    • How do you see yourself contributing to diversity in your profession after you earn your advanced degree at UCLA?

So these are the guidelines I used when I submitted my personal statement. I thought there was a 500 word limit, it was to be single spaced, with 1 inch margins and 12 point font. These were the guidelines I used to submit my personal statement with.

But this isn’t the correct format?

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member
    So these are the guidelines I used when I submitted my personal statement. I thought there was a 500 word limit, it was to be single spaced, with 1 inch margins and 12 point font. These were the guidelines I used to submit my personal statement with.

But this isn’t the correct format?
    The instructions were super confusing I agree.

scaldwellkerson

Supporter
    But the word count remained the same, you could just submit it differently.

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
    Views
    Reaction score
    In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
    Film Program
    Loyola Marymount University
    Course
    PROD 685
    Film Type
    Assignment
    Genre
    Comedy
    Duration/Running Time
    1:24
    Film Completion
    Aug 1, 2020
    A248
    Views
    Reaction score
    An artist invites an especially harsh critic to her studio for an exclusive preview of her latest work.
    Film Program
    Course
    PROD 550
    Film Type
    Assignment
    Genre
    Horror
    Duration/Running Time
    6:01
    Film Completion
    May 1, 2019
    Colella612
    Updated
    3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
    Views
    Reaction score
    Reviews
    Questions
    After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
    Film Program
    Course
    Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
    Film Type
    Assignment
    Genre
    Drama
    Duration/Running Time
    5:58
    Film Completion
    May 3, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
    For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
    Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications