UCLA MFA Directing/Production Fall 2022

I have emailed UCLA a couple of time and only PS has a 500 word limit; SoP is either 500 words or 2 pages.
View attachment 2645View attachment 2646
so if your SoP is more than 500 words just upload it as a supporting document

it is def organized poorly and it is frustrating that they only confirmed they are taking in new applicants 1 month before the ddl
good luck!
omg :mad: the discrepancy in info continues. i just wasted a chunk of time time shaving down my SoP to 500 words lmao. i'm just laughing at this point! thank you so much for this info though, i really appreciate your sharing the responses you've received from the school. best of luck to everyone!

omg :mad: the discrepancy in info continues. i just wasted a chunk of time time shaving down my SoP to 500 words lmao. i'm just laughing at this point! thank you so much for this info though, i really appreciate your sharing the responses you've received from the school. best of luck to everyone!
No worries! Ikr, it is so frustrating! Hopefully you kept a copy of your original SoP!
5 more days till deadline! Let's do this guys!

Also, does anyone know how to determine that your film is under 10mins? i know in a screenplay format 1mins is roughly equal to 1 page? but how about in a treatment format? or it doesn't matter as long as it is within the 3pages limit?

Also, does anyone know how to determine that your film is under 10mins? i know in a screenplay format 1mins is roughly equal to 1 page? but how about in a treatment format? or it doesn't matter as long as it is within the 3pages limit?
does UCLA admin care if your treatment makes the film seems like it is over 10mins?

BTW I just noticed this on the NYU application requirements page:

Do NOT wait until the last minute to submit your online graduate application and your portfolio in SlideRoom. We strongly recommend that you apply 2 weeks early to avoid technical issues that may arise.

Good advice. So don't delay today.

Out of sight out of mind, just submitted my application :'(
Good luck to everyone else!!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Remember everyone to add your application to our database:

It's poorly worded but it's there:

That links to this:

Which reads:

Statement of Purpose​

Your statement of purpose will be used in conjunction with your application for consideration for graduate admission and financial support. Specific requirements (individual majors may have 500, 1,000 or 1,500 word limits; this information is in the application and on the each program’s website) and prompts are listed in the application and include

• What is your purpose in applying for graduate study in your specified degree program? Describe your area(s) of interest, including any subfield(s) or interdisciplinary interests.
  • What experiences have prepared you for advanced study or research in this degree program? What relevant skills have you gained from these experiences? Have your experiences led to specific or tangible outcomes that would support your potential to contribute to this field?
  • What additional information about your past experience may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA?
  • Why is the UCLA graduate program to which you are applying is the best place for you to pursue your academic goals? If you are applying for a research master’s or doctoral program, we encourage you to indicate specific research interests and potential faculty mentors.
  • What are your plans for your career after earning this degree?

Personal Statement​

The Personal Statement is an opportunity for you to provide additional information that may aid the selection committee in evaluating your preparation and aptitude for graduate study at UCLA. It will also be used to consider candidates for the Cota-Robles & GOFP fellowships. To be considered for a Cota-Robles or Graduate Opportunity fellowship, be sure to describe your contributions to diversity. The University of California Diversity Statement can be found online.

Instructions are provided in the application and include a 500 words limit (approximately 1-page, single spaced, using 1-inch margins and 12-point font) as well as these or other prompts:

• Are there educational, personal, cultural, economic, or social experiences, not described in your Statement of Purpose, that have shaped your academic journey? If so, how? Have any of these experiences provided unique perspective(s) that you would contribute to your program, field or profession?
  • Describe challenge(s) or barriers that you have faced in your pursuit of higher education. What motivated you to persist, and how did you overcome them? What is the evidence of your persistence, progress or success?
  • How have your life experiences and educational background informed your understanding of the barriers facing groups that are underrepresented in higher education?
  • How have you been actively engaged (e.g., through participation, employment, service, teaching or other activities) in programs or activities focused on increasing participation by groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education?
  • How do you intend to engage in scholarly discourse, research, teaching, creative efforts, and/or community engagement during your graduate program that have the potential to advance diversity and equal opportunity in higher education?
  • How do you see yourself contributing to diversity in your profession after you earn your advanced degree at UCLA?

So these are the guidelines I used when I submitted my personal statement. I thought there was a 500 word limit, it was to be single spaced, with 1 inch margins and 12 point font. These were the guidelines I used to submit my personal statement with.

But this isn’t the correct format?

So these are the guidelines I used when I submitted my personal statement. I thought there was a 500 word limit, it was to be single spaced, with 1 inch margins and 12 point font. These were the guidelines I used to submit my personal statement with.

But this isn’t the correct format?
The instructions were super confusing I agree.

But the word count remained the same, you could just submit it differently.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back