UCLA MFA Film Production/Directing - 2012

Just got an e-mail inviting me for an interview. They said they're interviewing in NY and LA. I'm an international applicant and I truly hope they have Skype interviews as well!

Hey @80staTIK ! I got that e-mail too, congrats and don't worry, I'm also an International applicant and Cheri told me it can be done via Skype.

Hey guys so I have my interview scheduled in LA for the 17th. Has anyone had their interview already? Did they tell you who you are going to interview with?

Been lurking for a while. Got an interview for later this month in NYC. Very excited and nervous.

Groovydazzle - not sure if anyone has interviewed yet. Please come back after your interview to let us know how it went, what sorts of questions they asked, etc. Best of luck!

Originally posted by vendimia:
Hello everyone!
My interview is set up for April 1st, but it's via Skype, so I'm guessing that the order will be LA-NY- Skype.

vendimia, thanks a lot for the update! Good luck! Buena suerte en tu entrevista! ;-)

When did they tell you to expect to hear back?
I guess they will only let us know once they're done conducting all the interviews.

I have no idea. I was thinking they would set interview times for international students and out of state students first. Maybe it is all random.

The website says March/April.

Is there anyone who has interviewed already, and willing to share on the experience? Would be much appreciated!

Also - is everyone planning on bringing a DVD reel to the interview? I spoke with the admissions office, and they said most people don't bring a reel with them. What do you guys think?

Anyways, good luck to all and hope to hear some news soon.

Ok, Interview: DONE
Met with 3 wonderful instructors,Gyula Gazdak, Becky Smith and Nancy Richardson. Had a very casual interview where they asked the following:
1) Tell your life story in a short entertaining matter
2) 5 films you would take to a desserted island. Then they would make you analyze a common theme on all films.

I wouldn't give this one too much thought, it's better to be spontaneous than to have rehearsed answers.

3) They asked me about my previous education. It is in film so I don't know if they ask everyone this question but they asked what more I was expecting from the program.

4) Lastly they asked me to pitch the 5 minute short in 2 minutes. They were more interested on what you see than on a logline type of pitch.

And that was my interview! Lastly they asked if I had any more questions about the program (which I didn't because a campus student had answered them for me previous to the interview.)

Hope this helps you guys with your interviews. Just be yourselves and don't let the nerves get to you!

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Groovydazzle, quick question: how firm are they on the 2 minute limit for the pitch? Did they have a stopwatch out and plan to stop you at 2min, or do you think they would let you finish if you're a couple seconds over?

Aspectralfire: don't know if you've interviewed yet, but if you haven't, they are really nice about the time limit. No stopwatches or anything like that - I probably went for about 2:30, and they didn't stop me or interrupt me. They wanted a step-by-step pitch of only what we see and hear on screen. No back story, or anything of that sort.

Did anyone else have their interviews yet? How do you guys think they went? Would love to hear other feedback...

I got the call today! I've been lurking here for a while, but thought I'd break my silence for good news. I'm accepted. ANyone else got news yet?

Congrats @Vanguard!
I had my interview on Sunday, it was pretty much the same as @groovydazzle, with some questions about how I see myself in 10 years and that kind of stuff.
They said they'll let me know in a few days, so I'm guessing it'll be soon, now that @Vanguard got his call.

Good luck everyone!

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back