1. The FilmSchool.org community has been helping people apply to film school since 2002. Log in or Create an Account and get your film school questions answered.
  2. Did you go to film school for undergrad? Please review the school on our Film School review system. (You can review anonymously)
    Dismiss Notice

UCLA MFA Screenwriting 2018 (Fall 2018)

Discussion in 'Graduate Film School Discussions' started by Ele, Jan 17, 2018.

1. ALFQin

ALFQin New Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Well, have u ever seen any threads about Directing? I didnt find anyone else applied for the same program...hope we all get results in this weeeeeeko_O

• Like Like x 1
  2. EclecticMel21

EclecticMel21 Member

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +21
    I'm also still waiting to hear back about interviews for the Production/Directing program. Looks like we don't have a separate thread for our cohort. Does anybody know if interviews are required? Does anyone get in without being interviewed?

3. Michel Lichand

Michel Lichand Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Don't look at me. Still holding out some hope I might hear something about my Screenwriting application.

4. Anja

Anja Member

Ratings:
    +24
    I just wanted to make sure that they do actually contact you via email right?
    Thanks! :)

5. Kira

Kira MFA Screenwriter @UCLA

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +251
    That was my experience last year

• Like Like x 1
  6. Anja

Anja Member

Ratings:
    +24
    @Kira Thank you! I just wanted to make sure :confused::)

• Like Like x 1
  7. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#87 DamienA, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 1, 2018
  8. Ele

Ele Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Aw, thanks, @DamienA ! Best of luck today to you and @luckypig :D

9. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#89 DamienA, Feb 16, 2018
  10. Michel Lichand

Michel Lichand Member

Ratings:
    +19
    That sounds great @DamienA, congrats!

Though your mention of him having interviewed 80-ish people makes me think my only chances are if there's such a thing as a "interview these if our first choices didn't do well".

But I am glad you did great! Congratulations again.

11. Anon

Anon USC - Applied UCLA - Applied w/ Interview

Ratings:
    +6
    I had an interview in LA and the woman interviewing me was acted causal and was very informative. She asked me questions and then spent a little bit talking about the program. She didn't tell me if I was doing good or bad in the interview, but it was super casual and I felt comfortable. To everyone else interviewing, be yourself and don't worry :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  12. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#92 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018
  13. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#93 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. Kira

Kira MFA Screenwriter @UCLA

Featured Threads:
    Ratings:
    +251
    There seems to be some miscommunication or misunderstanding floating around, as Anon's post seemed pretty harmless to me. Anon was merely expressing their experience to the UCLA MFA Screenwriting thread.

As a current MFA in screenwriting student at UCLA, my peers and I discussed our interviews at length with one another. There were a wide range of experiences and various professors who conducted the interview. Only a few were interviewed by Richard.

There were only one or two shining interviews, saying they would be surprised if the student wasn't accepted. A student said that the professor said that the year before and was rejected, but accepted the 2nd time around. Many interviews went so-so, with the student seeing it could go either way. One friend was interviewed by Richard, thought it went horribly and cried afterward, and was accepted.

There is a lot of room for variety regarding the interview. No need in trying to poke holes in another's story - everyone's experience is different.

Good luck! I know the waiting game can be hard. I found it best to focus my energies on writing another script and prepping a new one. Once you are in the program, you'll wish for more time!

• Like Like x 6
  15. Anon

Anon USC - Applied UCLA - Applied w/ Interview

Ratings:
    +6
    My interview was the 12th, sorry I got the date wrong. I wasn't trying to invalidate you at all. My interview just went really differently and I wanted people to know that so they wouldn't feel stressed or overwhelmed. I found the questions that were posted on here to be really helpful, and I was just trying to contribute what I could. I'm sure someone found your post helpful as well, but now at least they know there's different ways the interview process could go.

• Like Like x 4
  16. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#96 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018
  17. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#97 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018
  18. KTrent2

KTrent2 New Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi everyone,
    Just wanted to share my own experience with the UCLA interview as well as there is no "one right way" to interview and I'm sure every single person who had an interview came out of it with a different perspective. I know a few people in the program now and I was able to have discussions with them prior to my own interview, and just as Kira said above, there is a wide range of experiences. Main point that was hammered over and over again though was this: be yourself. I want to share what happened when I went in for mine so that people can get another POV:

Mine was on Feb 12 (like Anon). The interviewer was the Oscar-nominated screenwriter of the film Carol, Phyllis Nagy. It was an extremely casual, laid-back conversation. She asked the usual questions like "Why the MFA? Why UCLA? Feature or TV? What do you see yourself doing in 10 years?" but we also talked about other things like our common interest in horror film/shows. I asked her quite a bit about "genre writing" and themes, and then we touched on what to expect in the UCLA 434 style workshops. At the end, she asked if I wanted her to add anything to my application that I felt was left out or that I forgot and I said "I don't think so," to which she replied, "Yeah you're good." I spent about 25-30 min in there and came out of it feeling like I had a good personal, 1:1, human-to-human conversation with her and if I get accepted on top of that, then great. Like Anon, Phyllis never mentioned anything about my chances of getting into the program. In fact, she didn't mention anything about interview numbers or how I did or how our interview went, which DamienA got. This only tells me that there are many different types of conversations depending on you, the interviewer, and probably your application and/or writing materials. Again, this is not meant to invalidate anybody else's experience; I just wanted to share mine as well so that other people in the future can draw what they will about it. I'm happy to answer any questions if you have any. Good luck to everyone out there :)

• Like Like x 2
  19. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13

#99 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018
  20. DamienA

DamienA Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Apologies Anon for being less than cordial. I meant nothing by it. Apologies, truly.

#100 DamienA, Feb 18, 2018