Anon

USC - Applied UCLA - Applied w/ Interview
Truly though "Anon" I am sorry as I have treated you very harsh and incorrectly so. I spend a lot of time monitoring the boards of the 3 MFA programs to which I have had interviews for that have active threads and I did feel like this was one experience that was quite different and I wanted to relate that if, in fact, my interviewer was the "main guy". He wasn't, and so deeply, I really do feel bad.
Do not worry! I really had no idea that they interviewed so many people. I was hoping they interviewed less so the chances were higher haha. Also it's interesting that they have different people interviewing, because clearly our experiences were very different I wonder how they will take that into account. I have found a lot of confidence merely in the fact that I was accepted to interview, and so if nothing happens with UCLA, I am still content with knowing that my writing does have some sort of merit! I don't know if it's a writer's thing, but I always struggle to tell people that I want to be a writer, and going through the interview process really cemented my confidence that I can be a professional writer someday.

Twilight98

I just gotta say, I created an account to talk about USC, and I'm glad I caught this thread.

I have to say I agree with damien's approach. I was rejected from UCLA, then accepted, both of my interviews were with Richard Walter (im presuming its the same person because I didnt keep track of the name given that I chose to go to USC but the face on the videos seems strikingly familiar).

My first time around I was very standard job interviewer sort of. I didnt get accepted and it hurt like hell. The second year I got an interview I literally said fk it and went in super non formal as if I was just talking to someone I had a beer with and it worked out completely. Ultimately I chose to go to USC but I can see everything he has related in his original post working out with this guy. I didnt know that he didnt interview everyone and I never asked around but I gotta say I applied exactly two times and got him both times, so if I had not read kira's post I honestly wouldve believed Richard would have been responsible for conducting most of the interviews.

Anyways, UCLA and USC are very similar. Dont let anybody tell you otherwise. If you get into either youre good, so always look at these MFAs as a 50/50 if you applied to both of them. It really doesnt matter which of these two fine schools you get into. Best of luck to all!!!

Anon

I just gotta say, I created an account to talk about USC, and I'm glad I caught this thread.

I have to say I agree with damien's approach. I was rejected from UCLA, then accepted, both of my interviews were with Richard Walter (im presuming its the same person because I didnt keep track of the name given that I chose to go to USC but the face on the videos seems strikingly familiar).

My first time around I was very standard job interviewer sort of. I didnt get accepted and it hurt like hell. The second year I got an interview I literally said fk it and went in super non formal as if I was just talking to someone I had a beer with and it worked out completely. Ultimately I chose to go to USC but I can see everything he has related in his original post working out with this guy. I didnt know that he didnt interview everyone and I never asked around but I gotta say I applied exactly two times and got him both times, so if I had not read kira's post I honestly wouldve believed Richard would have been responsible for conducting most of the interviews.

Anyways, UCLA and USC are very similar. Dont let anybody tell you otherwise. If you get into either youre good, so always look at these MFAs as a 50/50 if you applied to both of them. It really doesnt matter which of these two fine schools you get into. Best of luck to all!!!
That's good to hear. I also applied to USC so I am awaiting that response as well. How do you feel about your experience at USC? Do you find the atmosphere competitive or friendly? That is my main concern for UCLA and USC.

Twilight98

That's good to hear. I also applied to USC so I am awaiting that response as well. How do you feel about your experience at USC? Do you find the atmosphere competitive or friendly? That is my main concern for UCLA and USC.
USC is a candy shop of free candy where there are surprisingly some people who are allergic to candy. I hate to be that guy an I'm sure there will be some that have disagreements, but not everybody in my classes take advantage of building their portfolios. A few of the students I have known and who are good friends of mine go into the program thinking they have a job lined up for them when they graduate. This is not the case. You will have a good chance of having a job lined up if you BUILD A PORTFOLIO and take advantage on the battlefield, I cannot emphasize this enough.

The atmosphere is VERY FRIENDLY in fact I would have to say too friendly (unless you are Peter Stark) to the point that some people I hate to say it slack. If you get in do not be that person.

Now Peter Stark I've heard is overly competitive, and I have heard some people say that they compete in jobs with other Peter Stark graduates who pretty much network only for themselves but not to help others. I would say in screenwriting and directing everyone is cool/super friendly. I do say we think HIGHLY of UCLA film school and cross work with them from time to time. Its funny how our undergraduate institutions hate each other, but at USC everyone feels like USC and UCLA are pretty much sister schools and no one really looks down on one another. If you wanted to go to USC but only got accepted to UCLA, just take UCLA instead of wasting another year applying. They really are both the best film schools in the world.

DamienA

Hi! Has anyone heard back from UCLA's Screenwriting MFA yet (2018)?

Just wondering if anyone has already been selected for an interview.

If selected, when do you guys think we can expect to hear from them? I know it varies from year to year, just wondering if interviews have already started.

Last edited:

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
What is sad to me is that is not the information I had been told when I came in person and asked. I believe your information as you are a student. What I was told was that Richard was likely to interview most of the people. My insight is next to meaningless if this is not the case, and he only interviews a few people. Apologies. I truly believed he interviewed the majority of them given the information I was told in person by a student services associate.

Edit: It was actually not even a student services associate, it was a staffer's name I wrote down in my notebook. I feel that that is very strange that this person would relate the wrong information, and perhaps I should address it if I'm there in person for whatever reason.
No worries. My information was from last year's people so UCLA may have changed it a bit. Richard may interview more people compared to last year, but I don't think he interviewed 50+ people in a single day! Esp not when each interview is ~30 min long. I just know there are multiple professors who interview and they can only do so many in a single day, so statistically it would be hard for one person to conduct the majority of the interviews.

If anyone has any questions about UCLA, feel free to ask :)

Ele

Did you apply to many programs? If you didn't, I would advise you to apply to all of them that you can afford. I applied to all of the top film and writing schools and have so far gone 3/4 (USC is the 1/4, so we are in the same boat) with the screenwriting ones but only 1/5 from the pure writing programs at the top MFAs. What the latter schools have taught me is it really is a numbers game and if I had just applied to one Ivy I wouldn't have gotten an interview from my 20% interview rate.

What you say about the writing confidence is completely true from my perspective, and I hate to cite Richard again but I will with this video:

@2:20 All he talks about is the ONLY thing "we" care about is the writing sample. He talks about there are 4 things they're required to review in an applicant, but honestly "we" only care about the sample which he reiterates at the end. I don't know if all of these things are what solely he looks for in an interview since other people have contrasted the other interviewers, let it just be clear that he continues to refer to the process as "we" and in it he emphasizes that "we" only care about the writing and if you're interviewed alone it speaks to your "writing and nothing else".

Thanks funny, @DamienA ! I'm on the opposite boat. I have experience as a writer but not so much as a screenwriter so I'm having better luck with writing programs than with screenwriting programs. That being said, I'll be in LA so I'm leaning more towards a screenwriting program, be it an MFA or the PP program. I have an agent and stuff for my writing but I don't know anything about making connections in the screenwriting world, and I think I should polish my screenwriting skills, so a screenwriting program will be great for me :)

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Just to corroborate what @Kira said, I interviewed with neither Phyllis Nagy nor Richard Walter, but with Tim Albaugh.
Tim was my prof last quarter! Fun and funny guy.

Firon

Hi guys,

last year I had my interview with Neil Landau. This year with Phyllis. Both via Skype. The conversations differed a lot. While I discussed my professionel background with Neil, Phyllis was more interested in my personal approach as a writer. Both interviews were fun.
Now I'm wondering, is there any page we can check the status of our application? Where do I check, if I'm rejected?

Thanks for your help.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA

Anon

Does anyone know if it is normal for UCLA to stagger their results or if they send out acceptances first and then rejection letters later?

Cdemon

I interviewed and I’m curious people’s experiences and need to read back through the thread. Has anyone else heard back yet?

Last edited:

Sabin

Hey guys!

First time posting here. I just found out that I was accepted into UCLA as an MFA Screenwriting student. I have some questions about the school and the program. I wrote a longer post over in introductions. I'd love it if you could field some of my questions. Thanks!

If selected, when do you guys think we can expect to hear from them? I know it varies from year to year, just wondering if interviews have already started.

DamienA

Last edited:

Fudso

No worries. My information was from last year's people so UCLA may have changed it a bit. Richard may interview more people compared to last year, but I don't think he interviewed 50+ people in a single day! Esp not when each interview is ~30 min long. I just know there are multiple professors who interview and they can only do so many in a single day, so statistically it would be hard for one person to conduct the majority of the interviews.

If anyone has any questions about UCLA, feel free to ask :)
Hey! This may not be the right thread, but if you're a student there currently I figured I'd ask. I just got accepted into the producer's program for Fall 2018 and I'd love to talk to someone about it. I know you're in screenwriting, but do you happen to know what the producer's program is like or know someone in the program? Also do you ever get to collaborate or work with the producing students?

DamienA

Last edited:

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Hey! This may not be the right thread, but if you're a student there currently I figured I'd ask. I just got accepted into the producer's program for Fall 2018 and I'd love to talk to someone about it. I know you're in screenwriting, but do you happen to know what the producer's program is like or know someone in the program? Also do you ever get to collaborate or work with the producing students?
Great question and congrats on your acceptance! I'd be happy to answer. I am currently taking 2 courses with the producers - one is TV Development and the other is Film Development so I know all the first year producers pretty well :p We get to work together and collaborate in those classes and I am also collaborating on a TV series / pilot / bible outside of classes with producers.

Their program is very intense! The producers this quarter are super busy this quarter with internships and producing MFA director's shorts (some are doing one, others two). I think they're also taking 5+ classes? It seems like they really emphasize real experience, as you guys are required to do internships.

The producers get to collaborate with the directors and screenwriters - so if you want lots of networking and hands on experience, it seems really solid!

DamienA

Last edited:

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• Cal State Northridge (CSUN) - MFA in Screenwriting Program
    3.00 star(s)
    I was accepted to the CSUN MFA program in 2018 and took part in in for a full year; however, I recently decided not to go back and complete the...
    • Anonymous
  • Savannah College of Art and Design (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    The school is a complete honeypot, department head Donald.W Moffett has limited film production experience and has not idea how to properly guide...
    • Anonymous
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    Emerson opened a lot of doors for me, so I can't dismiss that fact. However, I don't think it was necessary for me to go to Emerson as opposed to...
    • Anonymous
  • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    Currently in my third year of my MFA at NYU Tisch Grad Film (writing/directing). I cannot praise this program enough! It exceeded any expectation...
    • Anonymous
  • National Film and Television School (NFTS)
    5.00 star(s)
    I'm currently in my first year of a 2 year MA at the NFTS. I saw these relatively negative reviews about the NFTS before I applied, but I can now...
    • VDW