Sabin

Congrats!
Idk for sure about the page, but as Richard Walter is retiring and Phyllis Nagy is taking over it seems highly possible there will be changes regardless of whether the page is new or not.
:)
I’d imagine these changes are going to be for the better. Does anybody know what Richard Walter’s reputation was over the past few years?

Also random question: I’ve heard great things about Howard Suber’s structure class. Has anyone taken it?

Chris W

As You Wish
Staff member
This is great.

A thought - you know what might be awesome? I saw a few other folks had dropped their application docs in various threads and forums. But would be cool to gather them all in one nice sweet Google Drive folder, wouldn't it? ;
Or one thread on the forum would be awesome as well.

Hi @Kira , @girlalmighty , and @turburr ,

Thank you all for offering to answer our questions! I do have a few about UCLA's program; I'm admitted for fall but have had trouble getting ahold of anyone in the office via phone or email.
  • First, I was wondering if any of you tried to sit in on a class while you were making your decisions last year? I think it'd be super helpful and many of the other schools seem to offer it, or alternatively, an admit day, but it seems like UCLA doesn't have anything official planned?
  • Secondly, I was told during my interview that they ask you to pick between television and film tracks pretty quickly and don't let you do both. In your experiences, has it played out that way, or have you guys been able to bend the rules a bit, perhaps through electives? On a similar note, can you take a play writing class from the Theater division?
  • Lastly, I've also heard that because of the short quarters, you end up finishing the program with a lot of first drafts, and there aren't any classes devoted to editing a script from a previous quarter. Do you feel like you like it that way, or do you sometimes wish you could work on something for longer?
I'm definitely planning on coming into town to visit the other schools and would love to get a real tour of UCLA as well and/or observe a class, but I'm just not sure how feasible setting all that up is or whom to contact.

Thanks so much!

Last edited:

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Hi @Kira , @girlalmighty , and @turburr ,

Thank you all for offering to answer our questions! I do have a few about UCLA's program; I'm admitted for fall but have had trouble getting ahold of anyone in the office via phone or email.
  • First, I was wondering if any of you tried to sit in on a class while you were making your decisions last year? I think it'd be super helpful and many of the other schools seem to offer it, or alternatively, an admit day, but it seems like UCLA doesn't have anything official planned?
  • Secondly, I was told during my interview that they ask you to pick between television and film tracks pretty quickly and don't let you do both. In your experiences, has it played out that way, or have you guys been able to bend the rules a bit, perhaps through electives? On a similar note, can you take a play writing class from the Theater division?
  • Lastly, I've also heard that because of the short quarters, you end up finishing the program with a lot of first drafts, and there aren't any classes devoted to editing a script from a previous quarter. Do you feel like you like it that way, or do you sometimes wish you could work on something for longer?
I'm definitely planning on coming into town to visit the other schools and would love to get a real tour of UCLA as well and/or observe a class, but I'm just not sure how feasible setting all that up is or whom to contact.

Thanks so much!
1) I don't think any of the workshops will allow you to sit in, but you may be able to ask about a lecture-style course. I did not try to sit in on a class, but did get a tour of the campus (undergrad tour, but it was still a nice intro to UCLA). I don't remember if there was an admit day for UCLA.
2) I think they are getting rid of tracks, but generally film people take at least 1 TV writing course and TV people take 2 screenwriting courses. Theater seems to be offered once a year in the fall but there seems to be a few collab opportunities.
3) There is a new rewriting course and you can take your intro to screenwriting class (where you complete Act 1) and complete that script in a 434. Otherwise, I just rewrite outside of class. Sometimes I'll be working on 4-5 projects at a time. Rewriting, writing, and planning. It's a fun process :)

1) I don't think any of the workshops will allow you to sit in, but you may be able to ask about a lecture-style course. I did not try to sit in on a class, but did get a tour of the campus (undergrad tour, but it was still a nice intro to UCLA). I don't remember if there was an admit day for UCLA.
2) I think they are getting rid of tracks, but generally film people take at least 1 TV writing course and TV people take 2 screenwriting courses. Theater seems to be offered once a year in the fall but there seems to be a few collab opportunities.
3) There is a new rewriting course and you can take your intro to screenwriting class (where you complete Act 1) and complete that script in a 434. Otherwise, I just rewrite outside of class. Sometimes I'll be working on 4-5 projects at a time. Rewriting, writing, and planning. It's a fun process :)
Thanks @Kira for your responses! You have no idea how helpful they are. It's still weird to me that nobody in admin has gotten back to me since my emails from 2-3 weeks ago, especially since this is such a key time for those of us making decisions, so thank you again and hope you're having a great spring break!

Well, have u ever seen any threads about Directing? I didnt find anyone else applied for the same program...hope we all get results in this weeeeeeko_O

Did you hear back yet?

USC is a candy shop of free candy where there are surprisingly some people who are allergic to candy. I hate to be that guy an I'm sure there will be some that have disagreements, but not everybody in my classes take advantage of building their portfolios. A few of the students I have known and who are good friends of mine go into the program thinking they have a job lined up for them when they graduate. This is not the case. You will have a good chance of having a job lined up if you BUILD A PORTFOLIO and take advantage on the battlefield, I cannot emphasize this enough.

The atmosphere is VERY FRIENDLY in fact I would have to say too friendly (unless you are Peter Stark) to the point that some people I hate to say it slack. If you get in do not be that person.

Now Peter Stark I've heard is overly competitive, and I have heard some people say that they compete in jobs with other Peter Stark graduates who pretty much network only for themselves but not to help others. I would say in screenwriting and directing everyone is cool/super friendly. I do say we think HIGHLY of UCLA film school and cross work with them from time to time. Its funny how our undergraduate institutions hate each other, but at USC everyone feels like USC and UCLA are pretty much sister schools and no one really looks down on one another. If you wanted to go to USC but only got accepted to UCLA, just take UCLA instead of wasting another year applying. They really are both the best film schools in the world.

Thank you for the feedback regarding the relationship between the two schools. UCLA has such a small cohort, I wondered if production students ever collaborated with students at other schools.

Kira

MFA TV Writer @UCLA
Hey guys!

Would love to know who is joining us at UCLA! Comment or send me a PM :)

Latest Applications

Latest reviews