Yeah, I just panic read through all the old threads I could 2017 and 2016... I'm certain I'm out of the running at the moment. It's been real, guys. I wish any and all interview recipients in this thread all the luck in the world and for those fellow "denied w/o interview" folks here all the luck. I'm not going to play the false hope game I sped read from last year's applicants.

Yeah, I just panic read through all the old threads I could 2017 and 2016... I'm certain I'm out of the running at the moment. It's been real, guys. I wish any and all interview recipients in this thread all the luck in the world and for those fellow "denied w/o interview" folks here all the luck. I'm not going to play the false hope game I sped read from last year's applicants.

I mean, did you receive a 'denied without interview' message? Why resign yourself to losing? Remember your only basis are threads for a timeframe that a. changes every year and b. especially this last year, since it changed systems.

I mean, did you receive a 'denied without interview' message? Why resign yourself to losing? Remember your only basis are threads for a timeframe that a. changes every year and b. especially this last year, since it changed systems.

Not really. On the second point, it's a personal "me" sorta situation. I don't want to put too much into the thread (it's not the place for this sorta thing) but the past year or so has taught me (unrelentingly, I must add) to just really assume the worst and move on as early as possible before you get too disappointed. I still have two more schools to hear from anyway. The system change should have been my signal that this was going to be messy. Best wishes regardless (who knows? I'm just being immature and emo right now and I'm totally aware of that).

Anyone losing their minds like I am? Haha *no more nails to bite, let's eat junk food*
Looks like @luckypig is the only one so far with an interview invite. I'm "V", but not holding my breath. Fingers and toes and pretty much everything crossable crossed.
@luckypig is this your first attempt or did you go through the Professional Program first? I think it might worth the try if I don't get in?

@IndecisiveElle any tips for the PP application just in case? When did you submit/how long does the selection process take for this one?
Maybe there's a thread for UCLA's PP but I haven't seen it!

Not really. On the second point, it's a personal "me" sorta situation. I don't want to put too much into the thread (it's not the place for this sorta thing) but the past year or so has taught me (unrelentingly, I must add) to just really assume the worst and move on as early as possible before you get too disappointed. I still have two more schools to hear from anyway. The system change should have been my signal that this was going to be messy. Best wishes regardless (who knows? I'm just being immature and emo right now and I'm totally aware of that).
@MacAndEs I totally understand. I got bad news from work yesterday and literally one minute later I decided to check the UCLA forum. So yesterday was an all-around bummer.

@MacAndEs I totally understand. I got bad news from work yesterday and literally one minute later I decided to check the UCLA forum. So yesterday was an all-around bummer.

I spent the last night like bumming out to Lorde (who was robbed this year at the Grammys, Melodrama is ART) then laughed for a whole hour because I realized I was treating this worse than an actual breakup with an actual person. I’m fine again. Eventually, we find our own paths to places and this wasn’t mine to take.

Anyone losing their minds like I am? Haha *no more nails to bite, let's eat junk food*
Looks like @luckypig is the only one so far with an interview invite. I'm "V", but not holding my breath. Fingers and toes and pretty much everything crossable crossed.
@luckypig is this your first attempt or did you go through the Professional Program first? I think it might worth the try if I don't get in?

@IndecisiveElle any tips for the PP application just in case? When did you submit/how long does the selection process take for this one?

It's my first attempt, and I didn't do the Professional Program first, but I've heard that helps a lot.

It's my first attempt, and I didn't do the Professional Program first, but I've heard that helps a lot.
How lucky! Well deserved! When do you interview? Lmk if you need help with the list of questions. I've broken it into 4 categories to better prepare.

Hi! Has anyone heard back from UCLA's Screenwriting MFA yet (2018)?

Just wondering if anyone has already been selected for an interview.

If selected, when do you guys think we can expect to hear from them? I know it varies from year to year, just wondering if interviews have already started.

Last edited:
Yeah... I still can't believe it. It's on the 15th! And yes, any help is welcome :) thanks!
Yeah, I think it's safe to say I should rule myself out. I'm international/non-US resident, so I'll give it a couple of extra days, but I think I'm out.

But in any case, @luckypig @DamienA , I came up with this list of interview questions based on the list of questions posted here: Film School Interview Questions, and ordered them a bit with a focus on screenwriting. Hope they help!

MFA/UCLA
  • Why do you think MFA will help you?
  • What skill set are you hoping to learn?
  • Why UCLA?
  • What areas do you want to improve on most?
  • What are you concerns about the program if you get in?
  • What would you contribute to the classroom setting?
  • What is a story/book that you'd like to adapt to the screen?
  • Have you directed actors?
  • What do you believe the program will give you?/Why the UCLA Screenwriting MFA?
  • Any questions for us?
YOURSELF
  • Name a movie that has had an impact on your life and why?
  • Tell us a memorable moment in your life.
  • What do you see yourself doing down the line?
  • What have you been doing since undergrad?
  • Where are you from and your cultural background?
FILMS/INFLUENCES
  • What's a movie you've seen recently that you liked?
  • Why do you want to make films?
  • What kind of films do I want to make?
  • What are your favorite films?
  • What area do I want to dive into?
  • Which filmmakers career inspire you?
  • Film or TV? Then they asked what is your favorite film or show.
  • What type of material do you intend to write in the program?/What do you enjoy writing?
  • Did you write at a young age/do you have a specific memory of writing as a child?
WRITING
  • What do you think makes a good writer?
  • If you had the resources to work on one project now what would it be and why?
  • He asked me about my portfolio, my normal writing process, my undergrad majors (International studies and history), what I want to write, how I knew I wanted to do screenwriting, and basic questions about where I am from and what I hope to get out of the program.
  • What is your greatest weakness?
  • What have you been working on in the past 6 months?
FINANCIAL CONCERNS
  • Do you have funding programs available in your country?
  • Are you aware how much it costs? Will you be able to pay for it?
Hope this helps!

Well if you already applied to the MFA program, they use your same application for the PP. But I'd say show that you're passionate about storytelling, what kind of stories you like to tell, and why you think the program would benefit you. It's rolling admissions so they tell you in 6 weeks or less (or something like that) if you do a separate PP application. I'd suggest emailing Brian Fagan, the head of all the PPs if you have any questions. He's a fantastic resource and really helpful.

I want to clarify why the PP program is so well regarded and 'helps someone get into the MFA'. It's more then a boost to your workshop resume or some sort of stepping stone. It shows that you are putting effort and working on the CRAFT of writing, that you have more than passion - you have a WORK ethic too. Because make no mistake, writing is a job. And a workshop environment really helps you hone your writing skills as well.

Well, I'll wait until I get the denied message, heh heh.

Whenever I get antsy about these things, I just remember the story of one of my roommates during the international Disney college program I did last year: he was on put a waitlist for the second phase and had all but forgotten about it. They were doing interviews over five days here in Brazil, and he got a call on the last hour of the fourth day asking if he wanted to do an interview on the next day. He had to scramble for a lot of things, but he managed to do it and got accepted.

So, yeah, waiting a little doesn't hurt for me.

I want to clarify why the PP program is so well regarded and 'helps someone get into the MFA'. It's more then a boost to your workshop resume or some sort of stepping stone. It shows that you are putting effort and working on the CRAFT of writing, that you have more than passion - you have a WORK ethic too. Because make no mistake, writing is a job. And a workshop environment really helps you hone your writing skills as well.
I couldn't agree more.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back