UCLA MFA Screenwriting 2020

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
So looks like this will be the final day of interviews then? Good luck to everyone getting theirs done today!

Only a couple weeks now until we all know our fate. So glad I found this forum. Would have been much more stressful without the advice and info y'all have provided. Whether I'm ultimately in or out, it's been a great experience. Anyone know if we'll be notified by email, snail mail, phone call, carrier pigeon?

Shade

LMU
So looks like this will be the final day of interviews then? Good luck to everyone getting theirs done today!

Only a couple weeks now until we all know our fate. So glad I found this forum. Would have been much more stressful without the advice and info y'all have provided. Whether I'm ultimately in or out, it's been a great experience. Anyone know if we'll be notified by email, snail mail, phone call, carrier pigeon?
I'm still waving the flag of more-interviews-will-come-out-next-week like a crazy person but good luck to all of you who've already interviewed! If that's the case and only 46 interviews have gone out, I think most of you guys have a great chance of getting in! Wishing you luck :)

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
I'm still waving the flag of more-interviews-will-come-out-next-week like a crazy person but good luck to all of you who've already interviewed! If that's the case and only 46 interviews have gone out, I think most of you guys have a great chance of getting in! Wishing you luck :)
Well that may be, too. 46 sounds like a fairly small number, unless they were super selective before the interview process even started, or are taking a smaller than usual number. I don't imagine too many people who are offered admittance into the program turn them down, but perhaps they have a waitlist if they don't fill the roster. I have no idea how it actually works. Were there two rounds of interview emails in prior years? There's still three weeks to go until they announce their decisions, so it seems like there's enough time for another batch. So keep waving that flag of hope and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!

Shade

LMU
Well that may be, too. 46 sounds like a fairly small number, unless they were super selective before the interview process even started, or are taking a smaller than usual number. I don't imagine too many people who are offered admittance into the program turn them down, but perhaps they have a waitlist if they don't fill the roster. I have no idea how it actually works. Were there two rounds of interview emails in prior years? There's still three weeks to go until they announce their decisions, so it seems like there's enough time for another batch. So keep waving that flag of hope and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you!!!
Not a clue! This is all I know:

Last year it went like this: January 16-17, 100 interview requests went out. A couple of extra interviews (less than 5) were sent out a few weeks after that. People were given the option to interview between early February and as late as February, 28. Results came out March, 3-ish.

This year what we know so far is: around 46 interview requests went out on January 22. People were given the option to interview within the next two weeks. Results are set to come out at the end of the month.

I'd say, if no interviews come out this week, it's pretty much over.

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
Oh wow, that's a drastic reduction in the number of interviews if there's only one batch, so it seems reasonable more will go out. How can you tell it was 100 last year and 46 this year?

Shade

LMU
Oh wow, that's a drastic reduction in the number of interviews if there's only one batch, so it seems reasonable more will go out. How can you tell it was 100 last year and 46 this year?
A friend of mine made it in last year :) Apparently when she got the initial interview request email, you could see how many slots were available. Last year it looks like there was over a hundred, spanning over the month of February :) I think she chose early February, but you could choose from a number of dates between early feb and late feb

ConODon

Supporting Member
UCLA
A friend of mine made it in last year :) Apparently when she got the initial interview request email, you could see how many slots were available. Last year it looks like there was over a hundred, spanning over the month of February :) I think she chose early February, but you could choose from a number of dates between early feb and late feb
Well that's interesting. I only saw two days offered for on-line and two for in-person, with slots every 40 minutes. I think the last slot was 6:40 p.m., but I don't remember when they started. 9 or so? So two days (for online) last week, and two days (for in person) this week (and I think both were Tues/Fri). That seems to leave room for more, but that's just a guess on my part.

Shade

LMU
Just did the math! So that's 15 slots per day, two days a week, that's 30 online interviews. I think someone who interviewed in person said there was 26 slots. So that's a total of 56 interviews?

I think maybe another, albeit smaller, batch *might* go out? Here's to hoping, sigh.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
While you wait for more info.... Weigh in on your picks for tonight in this thread:

:)

And get that Oscars bingo card. 🤣

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
BU
And while we're all here connecting over our shared anxiety/heartbreak/excitement about film school apps, shout-out to @Chris W for everything he does to foster a supportive community ✊
It's a labor of love and an extremely fun and satisfying side project for me. I'm glad everyone if finding it so useful. More features and articles coming soon to help you guys.

mjweerts

UCLA
I keep coming on here even though I know we won't know until the end of the month. Even at my job, where they know I applied, they ask me every day if I've heard yet. Though I kind of love the anticipation, I will be happy once we get the news.

Latest Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA)
    1.00 star(s)
    Questionable Investment
    If you don’t get a scholarship to attend USC I would advise against going. It’s too much money to throw away for a school with so many problems...
    • Anonymous
  • Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    BEST use of your time!
    Thanks to professor Carl Haber I was able to learn the fundamentals of screenwriting and how to implement them. For the first time in my life, I'm...
    • pcasmur
  • UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1