phoangg

I write when I'm asleep, I dream when I'm awake.
Hi all, new here. I didn't see a thread for this yet so I made one! My name's Priscilla and I'm considering applying to UCLA's Screenwriting program for 2020.
I just finished undergrad at the University of San Francisco with a degree in English (creative writing).

Anyone else planning to apply? :)

So which of the following are you planning on submitting?
  • Submit ONE of the following options in Script:
    • A FEATURE-LENGTH SCREENPLAY (90-130 page max).
    • First 60 pages of a FEATURE-LENGTH SCREENPLAY in progress.
    • One DRAMA PILOT and corresponding series bible (10-90 page max).
    • Two half-hour COMEDY/DRAMEDY scripts (each 40 page max).
  • Submit OPTIONAL CREATIVE WORK (10 page max).
    • Submit additional samples of prose (short fiction, novel in progress, etc).
    • DO NOT submit adaptations, spec episode scripts or co-written materials, these will NOT be reviewed.

Yessss UCLA!

Be sure to ask whatever questions you may have :) Go bruins!!!

Hi Kira,

I plan on submitting a feature screenplay for my application but have been debating if I want to submit for the Creative Optional work section in the app. It gives examples but I’m thinking about submitting a series bible. My questions are:

1. Would the series bible work?
2. Did you submit any additional work in that section?
3. If so, do you think it helped you get accepted in UCLA?

Thanks! :)

I'll be applying to UCLA! I'm submitting a one-hour pilot as my creative sample, along with a series bible. I've been collecting examples of bibles - it's a format I'm pretty psyched to get into. I don't think I'll be adding a sample to the "optional" section, though, which I hope doesn't hurt me. I'd be interested in talking to admissions folks about their television offerings.

@Kira, how are you feeling about UCLA as a TV writer?

Hey everybody! I'm from Brazil, and I am applying for the first time. I can't believe there's only 2 weeks left :eek: Time is running too fast.
At first, my plan was to submit a full feature, but now I'm not sure I'll have the time to finish it properly. So I'm considering to send just the first 60 pages, as they are more polished and solid. But isn't that strange to accept both a full script and only 60 pages? It kind of feels as a disadvantage to submit half a script. What do you guys think? There is a good number of accepted students who sent only 60 pages?
For the supplemental writing sample, I'm going to submit a film treatment.
It's great having this forum to share and collaborate. Thanks and good look to us all!

It's great having this forum to share and collaborate. Thanks and good look to us all!
Welcome and good luck! Glad you like the site.
So I'm considering to send just the first 60 pages, as they are more polished and solid. But isn't that strange to accept both a full script and only 60 pages?

I think they want to see your best work. It's ok if it's not finished. You'd be going there to learn screenwriting after all so I don't think they're looking for perfection otherwise why would you need to go to school? They're looking for raw storytelling chops and promise in my opinion.

Thanks for your insight, @Chris W! It makes total sense. I'm probably overthinking it out of insecurity hahah
I'll just try to give my best in these 60 pages. I'm always keeping an eye on this thread, always helpful. :D

Hi everyone! I have a question for the ones applying for the second time like me. In the frequently asked questions I've found this:

I have applied before and would like to use the same recommendations. In the Letter of Recommendation section you will have the option to import any of your previously submitted letters of recommendation.

I don't want to bother my recommenders, God knows how much easier my life would be if I could just import my previously submitted letters lol But I can't find this option anywhere :(

If you're reading this message and you know where's the magic button or something, please let me know and I'll love you forever <3

@Kira, how are you feeling about UCLA as a TV writer?
As a TV writer, UCLA is phenomenal! I learned so much and all of my favorite professors were from my TV drama workshops. 10/10 would recommend. Learned how to break story, write efficiently, give notes, TAKE NOTES, and met some wonderful and experienced professors. The more recent UCLA alumni are known for TV, including the creator of the one and only Pose!

Just finished my application. To add to some of the discussion I see above, I'll say that I thought a lot about what to submit in the creative section, specifically in the optional submission. In the end I went with a full-length script, and no optional submission. I had some poems, and a short story, but I've been doing just screenwriting for so long that they both looked young to me, so I figured I'd just roll with the feature.

Good luck to everyone still working on their applications!

Absolutely, it's on there. I applied to four schools, and added them this afternoon. I think I did it all correctly, but if I didn't, please let me know. I'll make sure to update as I receive information, for future students.
Oh shoot you're right. :) Ha. And I already commented on it. Oh my I must be out of it today.

Looks great.

For sure update it as you hear things... That'd be a great help to others.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back