UCLA personal statement vs statement of purpose essays

michaellearner

Supporting Member
I am having trouble discerning the difference between these two essays.

Does one matter more than the other?

If anyone can share any insight, I would greatly appreciate it.

zjhzhytx

Supporting Member
I'm confused too. Do we need to submit both? Because PS is not required on the program's website.

Hi All,

I believe you should do both. From my understanding, the SOP is for you to answer questions like your reason for applying to this school, program, and etc. Also, it will he used for consideration for financial support.
The personal statement is there for you to explain in depth the struggles and any important experiences you faced in life . Also, it will be used for consideration for the fellowships listed on that page.
And on each page, it’s has questions that can help guide you. You don’t have to answer all of them but you can touch on one or two questions that are most important to you.

Hope this helps! :)

KeenanDK

Read the bullet points under the promps. cnsmith is correct. The first one, the SoP is what most schools ask for, the second is a little more specific to UCLA (though USC has a similar question). The Personal Statement is more interested in what adversity you have overcome and how you can contribute to your academic and professional environments.

Latest Classifieds

Featured Classifieds

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

• UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)
    5.00 star(s)
    The Right Move For Me
    I have loved this program so far! For me, it was the right move. Coming from out-of-state, I learned a lot about LA and housing, but it could have...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Chicago - Department of Cinema and Media Studies
    5.00 star(s)
    In my opinion, the University of Chicago's Cinema & Media Studies program is one of the most outstanding and underrated programs out there. I...
    • jn0pe
  • Emerson College
    3.00 star(s)
    I went to Emerson for my undergrad for VMA (Visual media arts, just generally the film program) and...it was a lot of fun, I certainly learned...
    • julia1
  • Temple University - School of Theater, Film and Media Arts
    4.00 star(s)
    I graduated in 2013 and know several recent graduates ( 2017-2019 classes) as well. My personal and their related experiences are the basis for...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Rochester - Film and Media Studies Program
    5.00 star(s)
    I graduated from UofR with a double major in Film and Media Studies and Economics. My experiences at Rochester really shaped my filmmaking career...
    • dkimg21