UCLA Professional Program 2018 Screenwriting

Ele

I know interview invites are still being sent out, but it might be worth having a new thread for those of us who are also considering the (much cheaper) PP program, to keep our spirits up and help each other out!

...If you need me I'll be here eating pretty much everything edible to make the wait bearable. Come say hello and recommend some snacks for your fellow stressed-out applicants if you want :)

@IndecisiveElle I know you qualified right away for the PP program after the interview, but do you know how long it takes them to reach a decision once you apply? (I haven't yet, but to keep it in mind)

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Basically they tell you in the MFA program interview that you're admitted to the PP program if you want to do it. From what I remember, A couple weeks after I received my MFA rejection I was sent an email packet of how to enroll in the PP program if I wanted.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Basically they tell you in the MFA program interview that you're admitted to the PP program if you want to do it. From what I remember, A couple weeks after I received my MFA rejection I was sent an email packet of how to enroll in the PP program if I wanted.

Thanks, @IndecisiveElle ! Will most likely go for the PP! One question tho. What's the difference between the PP and the UCLA Extension programs? I know they have an Extension of screenwriting too but I'm not as interested in that as I am in the PP. However maybe I'd be interested in combining the PP program with some Advanced Creative Writing courses (fiction), since the PP only meets twice a week and I have material in both arenas, but I'm not sure they're compatible. I emailed them to know more but wondering if you know something. Definitely doing the PP. Considering a UCLA extension as complementary education, but only if I can combine it with the PP. That's the priority.

Thanks, @IndecisiveElle ! Will most likely go for the PP! One question tho. What's the difference between the PP and the UCLA Extension programs? I know they have an Extension of screenwriting too but I'm not as interested in that as I am in the PP. However maybe I'd be interested in combining the PP program with some Advanced Creative Writing courses (fiction), since the PP only meets twice a week and I have material in both arenas, but I'm not sure they're compatible. I emailed them to know more but wondering if you know something. Definitely doing the PP. Considering a UCLA extension as complementary education, but only if I can combine it with the PP. That's the priority.

From what I understand the Extension program is an entirely separate entity. Meaning, they do no share any faculty, staff, or instructors with the PP or the MFA program. The PP shares faculty with the MFA program and is designed to mimic the degree-seeking program but with more flexibility. In terms of curriculum, I have no personal experience with the Extension program, but my understanding is it's more of a high level adult-ed type program for non-degree seeking people who may or may not have any formal higher education. You'll get a broader group of skill levels and range of personal experience/background in the Extension program. The PP requires you have completed undergraduate studies for admission.

Again, from what I understand, there are many successful working screenwriters who have come from the Extension program and worked their way up without an MFA. I think any workshop can be valuable to a writer if the classroom environment meets their needs. Mixing a creative writing course with a screenwriting workshop sounds like it could be a fun strategy, all depends on what you can handle as your own personal workload. Maybe see if you can get in contact with the instructor at the Extension and research a bit what their classes are like. Maybe they can put you in touch with a current student too.

Hey, I applied to the UCLA professional program for screenwriting.. Anyone who has applied before, how long did it normally take them to get back to you? On the website it says within 20 business days. But I wonder how likely it is to hear sooner rather than later within those 4 weeks...

Hey, I applied to the UCLA professional program for screenwriting.. Anyone who has applied before, how long did it normally take them to get back to you? On the website it says within 20 business days. But I wonder how likely it is to hear sooner rather than later within those 4 weeks...
You'll probably hear back sooner, but it depends on how many are being processed. I heard back in about a week. (Technically I knew I was already admitted, it was only processing time). When I applied to the Producing Pro Program, it took maybe 2 weeks for my application to be processed. The admin is very small for the PP so info tends to come out at a trickle but Brian is great about answering questions and responding to emails.

@snoopdog @IndecisiveElle did you have any problems uploading your statement of purpose if it went over the 1500-character limit? Mine is currently at 1800.
I'd edit it down to the limit. Always good to follow "the rules" when dealing with applications... The statement should get better with discerning editing anyways.

I wrote a few drafts and each version I honed in on what I had to say so I fit within the limit. I would always follow any application instructions. Don't want to take the chance that they automatically reject anyone who doesn't follow directions, which has been rumored to happen. I imagine the PP isn't as strict but not worth the risk.

I will second that, I submitted a writing sample that was 5 pages including the title page. The title page was numbered as 1, therefore, I overlooked this error. I waited over 4 weeks and, I emailed Brian (thanks for @IndecisiveElle recommendation on this forum) and he told me about this error. I re-applied to the program, however, the PP did automatically put me to the side, simply because of this minor error. So, I recommend to follow the directions very closely and double check everything so you won't make the same mistake as I did, and end up extending the processing time longer than necessary ;)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back