I feel like I'm in the same boat. I've read Nagy's Twitter, and I'm afraid that she probably took offence, after giving my screenplay a shallow read.

The screenplay I submitted followed a pick up artist and the people that bought into his bullshit.

I was trying to explore Foucault's idea that all individuals are representatives of larger systems of thought, so no one is really a free agent operating purley on their own volition.

However, if you gave it a shallow read you might think it was sexist at times.

It would be unfair to call Shakespeare anti-semitic. The characters in Merchant of Venice are anti-semitic, but Shakespeare himself was trying to teach us a lesson about prejudice.
You shouldn't have a problem if your script is well-handled. I mean, Kyle Chandler's character in Nagy's CAROL script was deeply misogynistic. I just don't recommend tweeting at successful people who can potentially influence your career when they're in Rage Mode.

I feel like I'm in the same boat. I've read Nagy's Twitter, and I'm afraid that she probably took offence, after giving my screenplay a shallow read.

The screenplay I submitted followed a pick up artist and the people that bought into his bullshit.

I was trying to explore Foucault's idea that all individuals are representatives of larger systems of thought, so no one is really a free agent operating purley on their own volition.

However, if you gave it a shallow read you might think it was sexist at times.

It would be unfair to call Shakespeare anti-semitic. The characters in Merchant of Venice are anti-semitic, but Shakespeare himself was trying to teach us a lesson about prejudice.

Second time writing this as I'm on my mobile and accidentally erased it... so hope it doesnt sound condescending...

If this Nagy person were willy nilly rejecting prospective students based on their social media persona, unless it was the feud of the century, it's quite unlikely. This is not a professional opinion at all but 3 years ago when I first applied all portfolios were anonymous in the first round of review. Nagy may not even be on the preliminary review committee/group/whatever they use.

Even though it's odd and a little terrifying that we could be judged based on our social media personas, it's still an extension of us. If person A overheard person B talking with their friends and person B was making awful jokes about person A, it's hard for person A to excuse that behaviour by thinking : person B is in a different atmosphere, regular character values don't apply.

That being said, again, if it wasn't a huge feud that could be (mis)construed as so offensive and hurtful that would potentially disrupt a learning environment, I don't think it would really affect a school admission, at least I really hope that's not the decision-making process.

I may have spoken out of turn here but I will stress again that this isn't to hurt anyone, just an opinion that may shed some light on the issue at hand. That's how I read most online opinions, and hopefully any review people that run into personal opinions online would think in a similar vein.

Yeah.... i'm with you on that. That's pretty fucked up to reduce her to caring about some offhand thing on twitter years ago that she's so petty and somehow remembers who you are. That's like major conspiracy level paranoia.

And as far as being admitted without an interview goes, I have no idea. But I think it's always a possibility depending on program haha.

Yeah.... i'm with you on that. That's pretty fucked up to reduce her to caring about some offhand thing on twitter years ago that she's so petty and somehow remembers who you are. That's like major conspiracy level paranoia.

And as far as being admitted without an interview goes, I have no idea. But I think it's always a possibility depending on program haha.
I think you misunderstood a little; I don't think she'd remembers the interaction at all but a quick social media check (which admissions bodies do) would show that she blocked me and that's the kind of thing that could get you sent down to the bottom of the pile. Writing's so subjective; I doubt there are a lot of applications where someone REALLY stands out. Little things make a big difference. Again, could be nothing and my comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek warning to others to watch their Twitter etiquette than a sweaty, Nixonian rant about enemies. Also, if you have an interview with her, don't say anything nice about Bernie Sanders.

I think you misunderstood a little; I don't think she'd remembers the interaction at all but a quick social media check (which admissions bodies do) would show that she blocked me and that's the kind of thing that could get you sent down to the bottom of the pile. Writing's so subjective; I doubt there are a lot of applications where someone REALLY stands out. Little things make a big difference. Again, could be nothing and my comment was more of a tongue-in-cheek warning to others to watch their Twitter etiquette than a sweaty, Nixonian rant about enemies. Also, if you have an interview with her, don't say anything nice about Bernie Sanders.

Sounds like one of those times where my mind goes into overdrive and all sorts of possibilities pop up. But erm I think we should steer away from getting too political here (because I'm close to that point lol).

Perhaps you applied to some other places too? Regardleas... the wait continues.

Hi prospective UCLA students!

I'm Kira - a current second year in the MFA program here at UCLA. I was quite active on this website while applying back in 2017 and a bit last year as well.

Procrastinating on my pages - if you have any questions about UCLA and the screenwriting program, feel free to ask!

I'm Kira - a current second year in the MFA program here at UCLA. I was quite active on this website while applying back in 2017 and a bit last year as well.

Procrastinating on my pages - if you have any questions about UCLA and the screenwriting program, feel free to ask!
Hi! I saw you were accepted to USC too, I'm wondering what led you to choosing UCLA?

2nd question lol, from my interview it sounded like the program has gone through some changes in faculty, has this affected your experience at all?

ty!

@IndecisiveElle started an AMA thread for questions as a student. Feel free to start one as well to keep the questions organized of you want.

can you link the thread? having trouble finding it

That's @IndecisiveElle 's thread.

Kira's is here:

here is my ama~

Awesome. Glad you were able to come up for air and visit the site. Sounds like you're working hard over there. :)
Yes! It's been a crazy ride so far. I've written at least one feature and / or drama pilot every ten weeks... note the "at least" ?

I'm here to ask the important things.... For everyone interviewing in-person this week, what are y'all wearing? I can't decide if I should go business casual or a bit more formal and use accessories to show off my personality...

Just got back from my interview! (I detoured for some pizza and a drink afterwards). My interview was with Phyllis Nagy, and I walked out of it feeling great but have since started to wonder if that feeling was founded or not. ? We actually didn't talk about my application or resume at all, instead focusing on the UCLA program and opportunities therein. We also spent a lot of time on the "Why UCLA? Why a MFA? Why screenwriting?" questions, as well as discussing my favorite films and TV shows. We ended up going over my time slot a bit, so I think that means it went well? Maybe? Haha.

Does it even make sense to attend a film school other than UCLA, USC, Columbia, NYU, etc? Asking for a friend.

I also applied to Chapman, which is still considered #6 in the nation. But no one here seems to discuss it, so... I don't know? Some of their recent graduates have had success with Netflix (See: Stranger Things). Also AFI Conservatory is ranked #2. ?‍♀️ It depends on what you're looking for.

I also applied to Chapman, which is still considered #6 in the nation. But no one here seems to discuss it, so... I don't know? Some of their recent graduates have had success with Netflix (See: Stranger Things). Also AFI Conservatory is ranked #2. ?‍♀️ It depends on what you're looking for.
Thanks for responding. I was accepted to Depaul, for instance, and while the program looks good and chicago is awesome, I wonder if its wise to put my effort and resources there or hold out until I get into one of those upper tier programs you’ve mentioned here.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back