Thanks for responding. I was accepted to Depaul, for instance, and while the program looks good and chicago is awesome, I wonder if its wise to put my effort and resources there or hold out until I get into one of those upper tier programs you’ve mentioned here.
I've heard Chicago's really good for comedy and TV writing. I don't know what you want to focus on, but I'd probably just look into it and not count it out just yet if you're into comedy.

Thanks for responding. I was accepted to Depaul, for instance, and while the program looks good and chicago is awesome, I wonder if its wise to put my effort and resources there or hold out until I get into one of those upper tier programs you’ve mentioned here.
I think it also depends on why you're going for an MFA: Are you trying to become a better writer or are you trying to access a network for better employment opportunities? Obviously, I think we're all trying to do both to some extent but if your primary reason right now is the former, any (affordable) place where you're given deadlines and directions will be helpful. If you feel that you already have strong skills or feel confident developing them on your own, you may want to hold out for a school that offers more immediate opportunities for work. Not saying DePaul doesn't, BTW...it may have great access to productions companies, theatre groups, agencies etc in Chicago & beyond.

I also think these schools are what you make of them. I'd bet on a dedicated student at a 2nd tier school going farther than someone coasting at one of the elites.

Hey! Not sure if anyone on here is interviewing on Friday, but it was really helpful for me to read about the skype interviews (thank you, everyone, for sharing!!) so here's a little about my interview today and good luck!

I interviewed with Neil Landau, which Lea (the current mfa student/host) told me when I checked-in with her. I was curious if we'd know in advance who our interviewer was, so that was nice. He started off by telling me a lot about UCLA and the program, how the program is more than 50% women and around 50% students of color. He said they're going to admit 30 students, and that because of the efforts to include TV, it has actually taken over a bit and they're hoping Phyllis will help the program get to an even 50-50 split between TV and film. He said that they've selected the "cream of the crop" to interview, so congrats to everyone who was invited to interview!

Then, he asked me about my career goals and what I want to get out of the program. He asked how I do with deadlines, my work ethic, and my organization. He asked about my influences, in TV, film, and books. We talked about some shows and movies, network TV vs. streaming platforms. We also talked a lot about TV as a tool for building empathy. I asked him why he decided to teach at UCLA and what he likes about the program.

He said they'll all meet next week to discuss their interviews and make their final decisions.

Hey! Not sure if anyone on here is interviewing on Friday, but it was really helpful for me to read about the skype interviews (thank you, everyone, for sharing!!) so here's a little about my interview today and good luck!

I interviewed with Neil Landau, which Lea (the current mfa student/host) told me when I checked-in with her. I was curious if we'd know in advance who our interviewer was, so that was nice. He started off by telling me a lot about UCLA and the program, how the program is more than 50% women and around 50% students of color. He said they're going to admit 30 students, and that because of the efforts to include TV, it has actually taken over a bit and they're hoping Phyllis will help the program get to an even 50-50 split between TV and film. He said that they've selected the "cream of the crop" to interview, so congrats to everyone who was invited to interview!

Then, he asked me about my career goals and what I want to get out of the program. He asked how I do with deadlines, my work ethic, and my organization. He asked about my influences, in TV, film, and books. We talked about some shows and movies, network TV vs. streaming platforms. We also talked a lot about TV as a tool for building empathy. I asked him why he decided to teach at UCLA and what he likes about the program.

He said they'll all meet next week to discuss their interviews and make their final decisions.

This is amazing news! First the fact that so much has been done to try and prpmote the development of new voices. Second, that UCLA is selecting 30 instead of the 16 from previous years?

hhhooOOOOPEEEE

This is amazing news! First the fact that so much has been done to try and prpmote the development of new voices. Second, that UCLA is selecting 30 instead of the 16 from previous years?

hhhooOOOOPEEEE
Within the past several years there have been between 30 and 45 students in each cohort. In my UCLA "lifetime", I've never seen a cohort only have 16 students.

Within the past several years there have been between 30 and 45 students in each cohort. In my UCLA "lifetime", I've never seen a cohort only have 16 students.

Huh I got that all wrong then. I heard UCLA was 16 students/year for screenwriting, thus more "selective" in some way. Thank you for clearing that up! Even more hope°°°°`\♡●¤}○\》•]

Phyllis mentioned to me that they're trying to get enrollment down so they can offer a wider variety of classes. About 30 this year, is what I was told, with the goal of smaller classes in the future.

Phyllis mentioned to me that they're trying to get enrollment down so they can offer a wider variety of classes. About 30 this year, is what I was told, with the goal of smaller classes in the future.

They want to have more classes for less students?

Oh by the way pretty sure you interviewed with the head of the department ;) thats awesome.

Go Bruins! Beautiful campus.

Yeah, Phyllis told me they're making the decisions this week, and that we should be notified around mid March. I'm not expecting anything until around the 15th.

Hey, @Chris W , is there any place we can see statistics re: how many students per year are accepted into each program? I know UCLA accepts an average of 30, but I'm unsure about other schools :) trying to make an informed decision :)

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back