UCLA Screenwriting MFA 2022 (1 Viewer)

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Here's the official thread for UCLA Screenwriting.

Online and Mailed Application Deadline: November 1, 2021​

UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)

UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.)

The two-year Master of Fine Arts in Screenwriting program encourages students to concentrate upon the challenge of writing a well-structured story

Here are the current acceptance statistics on our site:

UCLA TFT - Screenwriting (M.F.A.) Acceptance Rate
34%
Admitted
47  out of   138   Admitted
3%
Waitlisted
4  out of   138   Waitlisted
63%
Not Admitted
87  out of   138  Not Admitted

Click through above link for more demographic data of accepted applicants.

Application info:

APPLICATION WORKSHEET AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY

Please complete all of the following steps:

Step 1: Online

• Complete the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application.
      • MUST be paid and completed online by November 1, 2021.
      • Indicate MFA, Film and Television, Screenwriting as the program.
    • Upload the Statement of Purpose.
      • Submit a 1-2 page document.
    • Upload a CREATIVE PORTFOLIO
      • Submit ONE of the following options in Script:
        • A competed FEATURE-LENGTH SCREENPLAY (90-130 page max).
        • An ORIGINAL hour-long DRAMA PILOT (50-65 page max)
        • An ORIGINAL half-hour COMEDY/DRAMEDY scripts (each 40 page max).
        • DO NOT submit adaptations, spec episode scripts or co-written materials, these will NOT be reviewed.
    • Upload Unofficial copies of all Transcripts.
    • Submit Three Letters of Recommendation
      • Enter the Names and Emails of all recommenders into the UCLA Graduate Division Online Application.
    Step 2: Mail

• Mail an Official copy of all Transcripts from each Undergraduate and Graduate institutions attended.
      • Note: Community College transcripts are not necessary.
    • Request that all Test Scores be sent directly to UCLA.
      • Only test scores taken by December 31, 2021 will be accepted.
      • The GRE UCLA Code is 4837 and the Department Code is 2409.
      • Note: The GRE is not Required for MFA Applicants

catmom

Supporter
    I'm applying!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member
    Statement of Purpose is 1-2 pages single spaced?

The attached pdf (from their site) has this:

All written Supplemental Materials must be uploaded in PDF Format, 12 point font, double-spaced, use 8 ½ by 11 page size, and not exceed the indicated page maximum. If you do not follow these guidelines, your application will not be considered. Also include your name, title of the piece, and page number on each page.​

Attachments

• FTV_Screen_instructions_PDF (1).pdf
      244 KB · Views: 56
    Last edited:

stackerlee

Supporter
    The attached pdf (from their site) has this:

All written Supplemental Materials must be uploaded in PDF Format, 12 point font, double-spaced, use 8 ½ by 11 page size, and not exceed the indicated page maximum. If you do not follow these guidelines, your application will not be considered. Also include your name, title of the piece, and page number on each page.​

Thank you!!!!!!!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member
    Thank you!!!!!!!
    The pdf is hidden... it's that all CAPS underlined that says "APPLICATION WORKSHEET AND INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO APPLY"

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 10.35.14 AM.png

catmom

Supporter

its_me_mari

Supporter+
    Statement of Purpose is 1-2 pages single spaced?
    Have you opened the application yet?

I got super confused because on the pdf file they say 1-2 pages and "All written Supplemental Materials must be uploaded in PDF Format, 12 point font, doublespaced, use 8 ½ by 11 page size..." but in the actual application, they give you a blank space where you are supposed to write 500 words, not an "upload file" function.

After the Statement of Purpose, the next session is "Personal Statement" and this is the one you can upload a file. Kinda confusing.

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member

I got super confused because on the pdf file they say 1-2 pages and "All written Supplemental Materials must be uploaded in PDF Format, 12 point font, doublespaced, use 8 ½ by 11 page size..." but in the actual application, they give you a blank space where you are supposed to write 500 words, not an "upload file" function.

After the Statement of Purpose, the next session is "Personal Statement" and this is the one you can upload a file. Kinda confusing.
    I guess that requirement is just for the materials that you upload??

cheeeese3cake

Hi I am applying for Production/Directing but I had the same question so I emailed TFT admission. They said SOP is required by TFT and we should follow the requirement on the application worksheet. PS is required by UCLA graduate and should followed the online application requirement. As where to upload the file I emailed them and still waiting for a reply.

its_me_mari

Supporter+
    Hi I am applying for Production/Directing but I had the same question so I emailed TFT admission. They said SOP is required by TFT and we should follow the requirement on the application worksheet. PS is required by UCLA graduate and should followed the online application requirement. As where to upload the file I emailed them and still waiting for a reply.
    Oooh, good to know!
    Thank you so much and please, let us know when they answer it! =D

cheeeese3cake

It's not quite accurate that they said that 500 words is approximately 2 pages double spaces, because if you literally cannot type more than 500 words in the text box. So you have to strictly follow the 500 words requirement, not the 2-page one.
    You raised a solid point so I emailed them again. I hope they can reply at least a week before the deadline. If not then I am FK :'(

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member
    Hello! I'm currently working on my feature film script and I'm not sure if it will hit 90 pages. Do you think we might be penalized for this?
    Most likely yes. They get a lot of applicants. Don't let them deny you on a technicality.

Could it be a pilot?

cheeeese3cake

It's not quite accurate that they said that 500 words is approximately 2 pages double spaces, because if you literally cannot type more than 500 words in the text box. So you have to strictly follow the 500 words requirement, not the 2-page one.
    Hey they emailed back:

Thank you for your interest in the UCLA School of Theater, Film, and Television. Yes, you can upload the document in the supporting documents portion of the app. You can also indicate in the text box that you will be uploading it there.

So I guess if your SOP is longer than 500 words we can submit it as a supporting document

Add your film school application to our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Add Application…

Student Films Made at Film Programs

A248
    Views
    Reaction score
    An exploration of the history and modern day importance of postcards.
    Film Program
    Loyola Marymount University
    Course
    PROD 670
    Film Type
    Thesis Film
    Genre
    Documentary
    Duration/Running Time
    17:31
    Film Completion
    May 1, 2021
    A248
    Views
    Reaction score
    In the midst of a global pandemic, a very paranoid vampire orders contactless food delivery.
    Film Program
    Course
    PROD 685
    Film Type
    Assignment
    Genre
    Comedy
    Duration/Running Time
    1:24
    Film Completion
    Aug 1, 2020
    Colella612
    Updated
    3.00 star(s) 1 ratings
    Views
    Reaction score
    Reviews
    Questions
    After the light bulb on her film projector burns out, an elderly woman must confront a nightmarish world as well as the trauma of her past as she seeks to find a replacement before her memories are lost forever.
    Film Program
    Course
    Directing Short Film II: Visual Story
    Film Type
    Assignment
    Genre
    Drama
    Duration/Running Time
    5:58
    Film Completion
    May 3, 2021

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
    For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
    Add your own Application to our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Applications

Latest reviews

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications