UCLA TFT MFA - Anyone know what has changed for Fall 2022?

llueve

Hi all!

Many of you must remember how UCLA did not accept applications for any of their film MFA programs last year, in theory so they could re-vamp their program, which had come under fire recently (but also not-so-recently, in their two previous quality reviews).

It looks like UCLA TFT MFAs are accepting applications again for Fall 2022. Does anyone know what changes were made, if any? Like changes to curriculum or staffing or anything else?

I tried to see if I could find any kind of official press release but it seems they've been very quiet about the whole thing. Or, just as likely, I just don't know where to look!

Heeyy are you applying as well? which program are you applying too?

I was looking at the production/directing application instruction provided by the TFT homepage and it doesn't say we need a PS but it does say we need to complete UCLA grad application. And on the online application, it requires us to submit both a SOP & PS. I am very confused now and I emailed admission a week ago and never heard back from them. Does anyone have any idea/information regarding if we need both SOP & PS or just SOP.

I am very confused about UCLA this year. It still says on their page that they are going under a review process and doesn't have updated info for 2022 admissions if they are actually accepting applications this year. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?

I am very confused about UCLA this year. It still says on their page that they are going under a review process and doesn't have updated info for 2022 admissions if they are actually accepting applications this year. Does anyone have any idea what is going on?
oh gosh I hope they do. I have already asked my undergrad school to send in my official transcript....

I think they are resuming this year and just haven’t updated all pages yet. The screenwriting application info for Fall 2022 is up now.

Hi, do you know how come there is both SOP and SP this year finally?
Heeyy are you applying as well? which program are you applying too?

I was looking at the production/directing application instruction provided by the TFT homepage and it doesn't say we need a PS but it does say we need to complete UCLA grad application. And on the online application, it requires us to submit both a SOP & PS. I am very confused now and I emailed admission a week ago and never heard back from them. Does anyone have any idea/information regarding if we need both SOP & PS or just SOP.

Hi, do you know how come there is both SOP and SP this year finally?
Yeaa. They emailed back and said that SOP is required by TFT and should follow the guidelines on the application worksheet. PS is required by UCLA graduate department and should follow the guidelines on the online application.

Hi! Okay thanks. I was a little thrown off seeing the SP in the online application. On the topic of diversity questions. I think it’s great, but definitely threw me off.
Yeaa. They emailed back and said that SOP is required by TFT and should follow the guidelines on the application worksheet. PS is required by UCLA graduate department and should follow the guidelines on the online application.

Hey everyone. Could someone maybe clear something up for me:

On this page the program says all transcripts need to be mailed by Nov 1st, but on this other page it says that international students only need to mail them in if they get accepted. Which is it? I don't live in the US and I'm worried I already missed the window to mail in anything at this point and have it arrive by Nov 1st.
I emailed UCLA about this question, but I haven't gotten a response yet.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• Rome International Film School
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: Certificate
    thank you R.I.F.S!
    I recently participated in their 10 - Week Program and I could not recommend it enough! This was the first time that I found a comprehensive film...
    • olivia.altiok
  • University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back