UGA Film Production MFA - Fall 2021

Hi all! Had my interview early this morning.

Interview sitch: 15 minute zoom panel with the department heads asking various Qs.
Tone: Very serious and professional (not in a bad way! Just a little nerve-inducing). Everyone was very nice.

Questions:
- Why an MFA, why now, why UGA, what others schools have you applied to?
- Filmmakers that inspire you?
- Where do you see yourself 3, 5, 10 years down the line?
- Questions for us?

Tip: The Qs are so broad - you can really steer them however you want if you'd like to let them know something in particular about you.

Based on the amount of schedule slots available, I think they invited 24 people to interview. Also, something I noticed here - I think everyone commenting on this post is already in the south. The website says they're looking for artists who want to stay in the South/GA.

Some info about the program I learned:
- they really encourage you to write and direct your own work (if that's what you want)
- their curriculum is ***semmiiii** flexible in that if you really want to focus on one discipline you can swap a class with independent study in the second year, or take an internship instead (like if you are already an editing pro you could probably pass on the editing class).
- they intentionally have a small class size to focus on helping everyone find the best success they can
- lots of internship opportunities, a business of the biz class, guest lectures

I didn't ask about the Trilith relationship and would love to hear if anyone else did! Overall really enjoyed speaking with them and I think they're working to have a really great program.

Hi all! Had my interview early this morning.

Interview sitch: 15 minute zoom panel with the department heads asking various Qs.
Tone: Very serious and professional (not in a bad way! Just a little nerve-inducing). Everyone was very nice.

Questions:
- Why an MFA, why now, why UGA, what others schools have you applied to?
- Filmmakers that inspire you?
- Where do you see yourself 3, 5, 10 years down the line?
- Questions for us?

Tip: The Qs are so broad - you can really steer them however you want if you'd like to let them know something in particular about you.

Based on the amount of schedule slots available, I think they invited 24 people to interview. Also, something I noticed here - I think everyone commenting on this post is already in the south. The website says they're looking for artists who want to stay in the South/GA.

Some info about the program I learned:
- they really encourage you to write and direct your own work (if that's what you want)
- their curriculum is ***semmiiii** flexible in that if you really want to focus on one discipline you can swap a class with independent study in the second year, or take an internship instead (like if you are already an editing pro you could probably pass on the editing class).
- they intentionally have a small class size to focus on helping everyone find the best success they can
- lots of internship opportunities, a business of the biz class, guest lectures

I didn't ask about the Trilith relationship and would love to hear if anyone else did! Overall really enjoyed speaking with them and I think they're working to have a really great program.
Thank you both so much for sharing your experiences! My interview is tomorrow morning. I'll keep y'all posted!

Ok! Interview went very smoothly! Thank y'all so much again for providing me with the inside scoop of how the interviews were being conducted! It really helped me out a lot. I feel great about the program and I want to attend even more than I already did! They said that they would send out decisions in the next 8-10 days.

Ok! Interview went very smoothly! Thank y'all so much again for providing me with the inside scoop of how the interviews were being conducted! It really helped me out a lot. I feel great about the program and I want to attend even more than I already did! They said that they would send out decisions in the next 8-10 days.

Glad to hear it went well! 10 days....SO soon! They'll be the first school I hear from(prob true for most of us)

Did you learn anything interesting about the program that I hadn't posted about?

Glad to hear it went well! 10 days....SO soon! They'll be the first school I hear from(prob true for most of us)

Did you learn anything interesting about the program that I hadn't posted about?
I had asked them what their goal was for the students that enroll in their program and they really emphasized their desire for their students to become entrepreneurs and independent filmmakers. That really kind of sold me to be honest. That really is what I want to do at the end of the day! I also asked them how many people applied and they said around 80 something. So they basically chose 28 people for the final round of interviews and then 12 will be picked from that.

Y'all asked some good questions! I just wanted to know how closely the faculty worked with students. I always do so much research before I even apply I feel like I don't have any questions- that and I kind of just like to see how things play out. I'm the most tightly-wound que sera sera person you could meet. Also, I was in the top 28 of 80 applications?!? Is it crazy that I feel like a winner now?!?

@imenergetic and @xxaa57 - any word? They told me they'd make their decisions super soon after interviews ended...which was last Tuesday! o_O
Nail Biting GIF by memecandy

@imenergetic and @xxaa57 - any word? They told me they'd make their decisions super soon after interviews ended...which was last Tuesday! o_O
Nail Biting GIF by memecandy

Nothing on my end! I was thinking that if only 12 are admitted I wonder how many are waitlisted? Do they actually interview everyone they think would be good in the program, then end up waitlisting like 16 people? It would improve my mood if that's the case.

I've been imagining a straight no for a long time, so that realization calmed me down last night.

I just saw a post on instagram that a person was accepted into one of Grady's Bachelor programs. Okay, so not related at all, but maybe a good sign?

I just saw a post on instagram that a person was accepted into one of Grady's Bachelor programs. Okay, so not related at all, but maybe a good sign?
Who knows! Thanks for letting me know - it's encouraging to hear that none of us have heard back, because that's more likely that no one's heard back yet!

I'm sorry about the waitlist! Thank you so much for making this thread. I was in the dark about everything. I wish you and @imenergetic luck in all of your future endeavors! <3
I too have been waitlisted. I think it's a pizza and beer kinda night.

Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest Film School Reviews

• University of Colorado at Boulder (BFA)
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Degree: BA/BS/BFA
    BFA University of Colorado at Boulder BFA Film Production
    Honest review. CU Boulder is an interesting place to learn filmmaking. The University boasts some excellent professors who are actively making...
    • Anonymous
  • University of Central Florida - School of Visual Arts & Design
    4.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Current Student
    Concentration: Film - Feature/TV Writing
    UCF Film BFA (College of Sciences - School of Communication)
    UCF's BFA program is split into 4 modalities: narrative production, documentary production, experimental production, and feature/tv writing. I...
    • Anonymous
  • Syracuse University
    4.00 star(s)
    Concentration: Film
    Syracuse Film and Media Arts - BFA Film
    I'm in my last year at Syracuse University as a member of the department of Film and Media Arts, and it's been a lot of ups and downs. There's a...
    • Anonymous
  • Fitchburg State University
    5.00 star(s)
    Reviewed by: Alumni
    Concentration: Film/Video and Theater
    A Great School with Great Professors!
    I was a student there from 2018-2022 and had a great experience. I would recommend it to anyone, especially people living within Massachusetts...
    • Anonymous
  • Florida State University - MFA in Writing
    5.00 star(s)
    Degree: MA/MFA
    Concentration: Screenwriting
    Hidden Gem
    Before I get into the details, it's worth mentioning that I'm in my second year at this program and have really enjoyed my time here. I will be...
    • catmom

Latest Applications

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications

Applications
Articles
Forums
Film Schools
Scholarships
Back