USC 2023 Spring MFA Film and TV Production

Chris W

Willem was robbed
Staff member
Hey, anyone know when interview requests get sent out for spring applications?
I don't remember as our database dates are calibrated to fall admission. Check out the past USC spring threads though:

Also, our acceptance stats link below has all the acceptance info for the program as well as a link to all the USC MFA applications in our system.

USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA) Acceptance Rate
27%
Admitted
96  out of   356   Admitted
24%
Waitlisted
85  out of   356   Waitlisted
49%
Not Admitted
175  out of   356  Not Admitted

teyyana

Hey, anyone know when interview requests get sent out for spring applications?
    Hi, did you apply for spring 2023?

I just received an email from a professor asking about my time availability for an interview. Maybe because I'm international that's why he needs to match my preferred available time

divya512

Hi, did you apply for spring 2023?

I just received an email from a professor asking about my time availability for an interview. Maybe because I'm international that's why he needs to match my preferred available time
    Hey, yes I did! Oh, that's amazing, good luck! I'm international too so hoping to hear something soon🤞

teyyana

Hey, yes I did! Oh, that's amazing, good luck! I'm international too so hoping to hear something soon🤞
    At first I was quite skeptical seeing the email as it was sent by the prof himself, from his personal email address, and he asked for Sunday. I thought this kind of information would be notified formally. I also wonder if the interviewer would be this one prof only since it'd be next Sunday. I thought there would be 2-3 professors/faculty members.

I hope there will be another faculty member contacting you soon. Let me know if you get the news! ☺️

divya512

At first I was quite skeptical seeing the email as it was sent by the prof himself, from his personal email address, and he asked for Sunday. I thought this kind of information would be notified formally. I also wonder if the interviewer would be this one prof only since it'd be next Sunday. I thought there would be 2-3 professors/faculty members.

I hope there will be another faculty member contacting you soon. Let me know if you get the news! ☺️
    Oh that's interesting! Let me know how it goes and how many professors there are in the interview:)

Bhats

Supporter
    I got an interview for this Sunday too! I'm international as well. Yes, I definitely agree that even I thought this would be notified formally, I almost scrolled past the email because I didn't recognize the name!
    Which professors are interviewing you folks, and how are y'all preparing? Good luck!

Chris W

Willem was robbed
    Staff member
    I was also curious if USC interviews all its applicants, or shortlisted ones?
    Our acceptance stats for USC has that info. :)

USC Cinematic Arts - Film and Television Production (MFA) Acceptance Rate
    27%
    Admitted
    96  out of   356   Admitted
    24%
    Waitlisted
    85  out of   356   Waitlisted
    49%
    Not Admitted
    175  out of   356  Not Admitted

Also so does our article on USC:

How to get Into USC Film School: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

How to get Into USC Film School: Advice from an Admissions Committee Member

Considered by many to be the best film school in the world, it’s no wonder why the USC School of Cinematic Arts (SCA) is so sought after by prospective undergraduate and graduate students alike. However, the film school’s prestige can often make the application process particularly stressful and...

Short answer is no they don't interview everyone. :)

teyyana

I got an interview for this Sunday too! I'm international as well. Yes, I definitely agree that even I thought this would be notified formally, I almost scrolled past the email because I didn't recognize the name!
      Which professors are interviewing you folks, and how are y'all preparing? Good luck!
      Idk if mentioning the name would be appropriate. In my personal statement, I mention my ultimate career goal is to create a filmmaking educative platform similar to Sundance Collab for preparing the regeneration of filmmakers in my country. I did some research about the prof and turns out he's one of, if not the only, artistic director of Sundance Institute 🥲🥲 I guess that's the reason the admission team plotted my application to be reviewed by him hahaha

In his email, he mentioned 2 topics that he would like to discuss, my favorite filmmaker + the reason and how I handle stress. Tbh idk what to prepare other than trying to not be nervous (and sleepy, it'd be late Sunday night here). Good luck to you too!

Bhats

Supporter
      Just got done with my interview! It went well, I think..
      How was yours? Also, approximately how long was it? Mine was 40 mins. Only hitch was that the lights went out in between, because I hadn't realized that the room I was sitting in had motion sensitive lights. I feel so stupid about that now, but the interviewer was really sweet about it, I just hope that that it didn't cut our time short. Trying not to dwell :(

teyyana

Just got done with my interview! It went well, I think..
      How was yours? Also, approximately how long was it? Mine was 40 mins. Only hitch was that the lights went out in between, because I hadn't realized that the room I was sitting in had motion sensitive lights. I feel so stupid about that now, but the interviewer was really sweet about it, I just hope that that it didn't cut our time short. Trying not to dwell :(
      Mine was a bit less than 40 mins. I think we interviewed with the same prof. What questions did he ask? The questions that were asked were mostly not related to filmmaking and were super random, so I couldn't guess if he was satisfied with my answers. I saw him talking to someone several times so I wasn't comfortable giving long answers as I didn't want to interrupt them and have my answers missed.

I also had a hitch, when he asked about my favorite filmmakers. My internet connection was suddenly lagged (ugh) so he had to skip to the next question when I came back online but I managed to answer a bit. I mentioned that my fav director was Damien Chazelle but the filmmaker that inspired me to shift my career to filmmaking is Cary Fukunaga. I joked a bit that I wasn't comfortable mentioning his name, especially after the recent allegation, and surprisingly he didn't know who CF was. I told him that he was the director of the latest James Bond movie and he was famous for his work in True Detective season 1, and he didn't know about any of them either. He asked me the last movie I watched that left an impression on me, I answered with Decision to Leave. I talked a bit that the rave about the film at Cannes and the director winning best directing made me watch the film and he said he didn't follow news about Cannes either, which felt... weeeeeird because those were the only thing we discussed that were film-related. I hope I didn't sound like an alien when talking about them because that makes me feel bad, you know, not being able to connect with him :confused:

The questions that were asked to me, in case people need this:
      - Talk about your current job. What are the best and worst parts of your job?
      - What are your parents' jobs? How is the dynamic in your family? Who has the most power in your family: your dad or your mom?
      - What advice your parents gave to you that is memorable to this day?
      - What is your favorite food? Do you cook?
      - If you can swap lives with someone else, who and why?
      - How do you handle stress?
      - Who are your favorite filmmakers and why?
      - What music are you listening to? What books are you reading? What movie/tv show are you currently watching?
      - What is the last movie you watched that leave an impression on you?
      I asked him about the things I did good in my application and he delightfully explained. I prepared a pitch and he didn't ask about it hehe. He said normally the notification would be sent out 4-6 weeks after the interview.

Last edited:
      Log your film school application with our Application Database so that we can improve our admissions statistics.

Log Your Application…

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Accepted Applications

Acceptance Data
      For up to date Film School Acceptance Rates, including Minimum GPAs, Minimum Test Scores, After Interview and Off-Waitlist Acceptance Rates, Film Experience and Undergraduate degrees of accepted applicants, Age data, and other acceptance statistics for your film program of choice simply navigate to the Acceptance Rates tab on each film school's page in our Film School Database.

For example:
      Log your own Application with our application database to help improve the site's acceptance data.

Latest posts

Latest Applications

Latest Film School Reviews

• International Film Institute of New York
        5.00 star(s)
        Best Experience
        One of the best experiences with incredible teachers and people. I learned much more than I expected, the program is very complete. When I...
        • tatiana
      • Rome International Film School
        5.00 star(s)
        A personalised learning experience for any film enthusiast
        What an incredible opportunity to meet such talented people and learn from them! I had enquired about Production Design summer courses and...
        • beafrant
      • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
        2.00 star(s)
        Good Education. Poor Everything Else
        World class education received at NYU Tisch, with some remarkable faculty (those who care to teach are extremely helpful). Lots of bureaucratic...
        • Anonymous
      • NYU - Tisch Kanbar Institute of Film and Television (M.F.A.)
        5.00 star(s)
        NYU Tisch Graduate Film Program
        The graduate film program at NYU changed my life. I keep up with most of my classmates and a lot of my professors. I still work with a lot of my...
        • Anonymous
      • American University - School of Communication (B.A.)
        2.00 star(s)
        DON"T GO
        Simply put, the film program in AU is a joke. Most faculties and student have no taste for film. You will not get enough training in any aspect of...
        • Anonymous

Latest questions

Latest Articles

Latest Accepted Applications